4mm & 7mm Llanfair ....

Nick Rogers

Western Thunderer
Interesting, didn't realise that Exactoscale had re-arisen and now rides again...

Afternoon CK (and anyone else who is reading),

I know the EM Gauge and Scalefour Societies both sell the plastic bases, chairs and so on, but I don't think the rail products have been put back in production. But I might be wrong on the rail products, mind.

All the best,

Nick.

Hayfield1

Western Thunderer
Both companies had one thing in common in that they were designed by the late Len Newman. C&L were first known as K&L, Len sold the business off years ago, Exactoscale was born and Funded by the late Andrew Jukes with Len Newman designing the system including the P4 track company kits). Coming back to the hobby in the noughties C&L was in the control of Brian Lewis and Exactoscale was distributed by Len Newman

C&L was then brought by Peter Lewellyn and he offered a near next day delivery service, later he took over the distribution of Exactoscale products, sadly despite Pete's best efforts he decided to sell the business on after his health got a bit worse. Issues selling the business off C&L nearly disappeared, except for Phil Reid stepping in at the last moment

Since Phil took over against all the odds Phil designed and replaced most of the tooling and has increased the range

Andrew Dukes took back control of Exactoscale distribution, then decided to let the Scalefour society in conjunction with the EMGS took over distribution of the 4mm products and the Scale 7 group distribute the 7mm products

I understand upon Andrews death ownership of the range(s) has passed to the afore mentioned groups

Thankfully both ranges (C&L and Exactoscale) are in safe hands, but seemingly on slightly different paths

LarryG

Western Thunderer
I have taken to spraying the ground cover in between track-laying, which is wafted over with Sleeper Grime to tint it. Fragile tape has been used to confine the ballast areas and give a neater edge to the track ballast...

WEB Track new 8C.jpg

The ballast differs in colour on sidings, but it's all raw at the moment awaiting weathering with a spraygun....
WEB Track new 8A.jpg

Glue, lay & ballast in one go is normally speedy, but it had to be spread over three days due to the heat we are currently experiencing....
WEB Track new 8B.jpg

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Modelling is supposed to be therapeutic!

Two wires were clipped to the rails near the water tank and I immediately encountered a short circuit! Eventually traced to the adjacent bullhead point, the words 'infuriating morning' barely covers it. An old flat bottom turnout has now been ballasted in.

The replacement Streamline point on left with matching ballast. The adjacent point top right was converted to a shallow 'Y' to suit my siding...

WEB Track new 8D.jpg

Last edited:

paulc

Western Thunderer
Modelling is supposed to be therapeutic!

Two wires were clipped to the rails near the water tank and I immediately encountered a short circuit! Eventually traced to the adjacent bullhead point, the words 'infuriating morning' barely covers it. An old flat bottom turnout has now been ballasted in.
I heard the knashing of teeth from here Larry . Been there done that though with a double slip and an errant feed that had no place being where i had soldered it .

LarryG

Western Thunderer
A Sunday crawling about under the baseboard soldering wires upside-down wasn't bad for my age haha, but a loco test led to further bouts of teeth gnashing! This time it was a totally dead 2' radius turnout on the run-round. I didn't argue! A well-tested large radius bullhead was installed in its place. I'm glad to say it looks better and the whole layout works properly now on DC, so things can move on at last...

WEB Track new 8E.jpg

LarryG

Western Thunderer
There's been some messing around with trackwork, so I thought it best not to post anything until tonight. I've just added the weathering. A siding has disappeared to leave space for a coal yard and the loop has been shortened to leave several inches more space at the dead end for a decent entrance to the goods yard plus weighbridge and what-not...
WEB NuTrack 2.jpg

It's a catch point at the end of the goods shed track hence the dirty unused rails. It needs another paint because it dried the wrong colour. None of the points are bullhead now.....
WEB NuTrack 3.jpg

Nothing much to say about this shot except I love this little 45xx.....
WEB NuTrack 4.jpg

General view of things. The goods shed needs bedding into the ballast so it won't lean. An old rusty tin of Humbrol No.186 was used on the running line as an experiment. The rest is PPC 'Rusty Rails'...
WEB NuTrack 5.jpg

LarryG

Western Thunderer
I have copied the colouring from a photo of a prototype catch that protects the running line, but for some reason it looked more accurate in yesterday's darker 'Frames'Dirt'.....

WEB NuTrack 6.jpg

Water tank spillage would assist the growth of grass etc. Grass closest to the running line has been affected by weed killer.....
WEB NuTrack 7.jpg

Procuring a length of bullhead is very expensive and so Peco flat-bottom was used at the end of the platform...
WEB NuTrack 8.jpg

Last edited:

Mick LNER

Western Thunderer
Have you ever managed to actually complete a layout in any gauge ?? You were on RM Web years ago, doing exactly the same scenario then !!

Western Thunderer
How many of us do actually finish a layout? I've only just about not quite nearly finished my first one.

I reckon you need a bigger shed to make O gauge work for you, but that's a bigger undertaking.
Tony