7mm A Cct Makeover With A Little Help From Oven Pride

westernfan

Western Thunderer
I recently acquired a D J Parkins post-war products cct kit built o gauge model that was in dire need of a make over what with its poor paintwork and use of cardboard for the floor and a need to reglaze the windows

Step one was to remove all the paint from the brass body, being on a tight budget, have you seen the cost of nitromoors stripper lately and the nearest diy or ironmongers is a 16 mile round trip I rummaged around the shed for some brake fluid. This was brushed on to the model and left over night but with no effect I then noticed that the fluid was synthetic so on to my second attempt, swmbo mentioned that there was a bottle of oven pride under the kitchen sink, the contents is a caustic gel-like solution which I applied with a half inch brush and popped into a bread bag and left for approx two hours to do its stuff on the paintwork this second attempt was successful

I then washed off the gel with warm soapy water and then immersed the model in a bowl of warm water and a drop of bleach to remove any detergent residue

The next step was to replace the warped cardboard floor and partitions with plastikard and then spray primer the model ready for its repaint

I used a mixture of humbrol acrylic and railmatch enamel paints and used both air and brush techniques to paint the model, hmrs presfix transfers were applied and a couple of coats of railmatch matt varnish sprayed on to finish off the paint job

The next step was to glaze the model I used some extruded copolyester which was then glued to the inside using araldite I fabricated the security bars from some slaters 30thou plastic rod

All I need to do now is to build another o gauge layout to run it on

Attachments

• P1020092(1).JPG
    P1020092(1).JPG
    331.6 KB · Views: 101
  • P1020095(1).JPG
    P1020095(1).JPG
    364.9 KB · Views: 104
  • P1020097(1).JPG
    P1020097(1).JPG
    262 KB · Views: 101
  • P1020119(1).JPG
    P1020119(1).JPG
    327 KB · Views: 101
  • P1020124(1).JPG
    P1020124(1).JPG
    280.7 KB · Views: 102

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Hi Westernfan,

done a good job there, I have a couple of similar rebuild/repaints to do, so your posting is very timely.

cheers

Mike

D816Foxhound

Western Thunderer
Hello Westernfan,

Cracking restoration. I agree with D1054, blue would be nice, but it looks great all the same in maroon.

In my bashing days in Cornwall, we used to call these vans "Cabbage Carrying Trucks"!!

Roger

westernfan

Western Thunderer
Thanks for all the thumbs up on the cct ,I have a few more repaints on my to do list next is an ex sr plv im a bit loathed to change its livery from southern region green to maroon as the maroon imo doesn’t suit it maybe ill go blue for the first time as the plv / guv look good in blue and it would contrast well with the cct in a short rake pulled behind my gsp hymek

To the blue brigade, I keep saying that you should mix the blue and yellow together before painting your locos:p

Re was it an ebay bargain did you spot it as well? And as for the extruded copolyester how should I know im not in the school let alone at the back of the class :))

Seriously though Jordan I obtained a sheet of it in a job lot of plasticard sheets
What it says on the protective film is that its trade name is vivak and it can be used for thermoforming the piece I have is about 1mm thick I normally use the clear plastic packaging but this vivak is a lot stiffer and clearer

Re needing an o gauge layout to run it on, well im soon off to a builders merchants for some met posts and decking for my garden shunty plank

D

D7093

I like it:) can't beat a parcels rake train, so much more interesting than coaches and you don't have to fill them with passengers.

I have a SR PLV in blue that I'm in the process of finishing and it does look nice in that livery, the maroon never looked right on them, otherwise a well grimed up one in green also works.

Garden shunty plank:eek: how small do they build houses nowadays:D

Pennine MC

Western Thunderer
...can't beat a parcels rake train, so much more interesting than coaches and you don't have to fill them with passengers.

GPWM, I suppose they're coaches for people who like wagons really

I have a SR PLV in blue that I'm in the process of finishing and it does look nice in that livery, the maroon never looked right on them, otherwise a well grimed up one in green also works.

[pedant mode] The SR vans weren't (or shouldnt) have been maroon; they carried crimson but from 1956 (when other Regions changed to maroon), they would have been green. Know what you mean though, they do look a bit 'wrong' in crimson.

D

D7093

Phill,

That colour is the BR Southern green, the same as what MkI coaches carried from 1956. Many Southern PMV and CCT's carried this livery through to the 70's and probably to the end, so that is ideal for the era your modelling, although a bit dirtier;). The other colour at the time was Crimson which didn't really suit them especially under the dirt, then some started to receive rail blue in the late sixties.

All liveries seemed to get dirty rather quickly.

A couple of pics of a 1/32 example of a PMV, I did a few years ago.

PICT0108a.jpg

PICT0041a.jpg

westernfan

Western Thunderer
well thats my mind made up on the livery ill stick to the southern region green for my plv another factor would be the need to purchase blue era transfers. getting back to br built ccts whilst browsing PBs web site i noticed that the step arrangment varies between regions the western variants sporting a two step structure

ps D7093 i see a milk tanker in the background is it a dirty white or aluminium finish ? i ask this as ive a rake of 9 lima milk tanks to repaint ,era early 60s

Pennine MC

Western Thunderer
It looks to me as though Phill's van (I assume it was bought like that Phill?) may be in pukka Southern Railway dark olive. That said, once typically weathered it wont much matter:cool:

D

D7093

D7093 i see a milk tanker in the background is it a dirty white or aluminium finish ? i ask this as ive a rake of 9 lima milk tanks to repaint ,era early 60s

Its aluminium finish, which was the livery used during the 1960's and early 70's, although a few still ran around in their allocated dairy liveries from earlier days. The odd one was later to be painted in other colours, a red one and a light blue MMB come to mind.

I used one of the Halford spray can's, which gives an excellent even finish, before splodging the grime over it.

PICT0074.jpg

Anyhow enough of that, I'll let you get back on topic.

Sorry:)

D

D7093

It looks to me as though Phill's van (I assume it was bought like that Phill?) may be in pukka Southern Railway dark olive. That said, once typically weathered it wont much matter:cool:
Ian, as you say it may well be the SR dark olive or BR Southern green, as usual it difficult to tell from the photo. But as you say a bit of grime and you won't know the difference:)

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
Thanks guys :).........I just need to make a decision as to leaving it green (weathered) or a repaint into BR blue ;)

BTW Yes Ian I got it ready built like this, I didn't know then though that the ones like Trevors with one end vent appear to have survived better into the blue era........although Mike told me that 2492 of this diagram was BR blue :)

Pennine MC

Western Thunderer
BTW Yes Ian I got it ready built like this, I didn't know then though that the ones like Trevors with one end vent appear to have survived better into the blue era........although Mike told me that 2492 of this diagram was BR blue :)

I dunno about them surviving better Phil, the difference in vents is only because yours is a CCT, not a PMV - there might have been more of the latter but CCTs weren't at all rare in blue. 2492 doesnt appear in my 1970s RCTS books though - is it plywood sided, I cant quite tell from that pic?