7mm Bleddfa Road

LarryG

Western Thunderer
My surgeon was Miss Evans, the famous 'dick-doctor' of Channel 4 fame. It started with an RTA in 1994 and ten years later I actually died twice while in recovery following yet another prostate op. Two things were eventually discovered; I had in fact suffered deep impact damage in the RTA and I was born with a dodgy strawberry, something that had never showed up in medicals. I ended up with a pacemaker! In the meantime I have lost several friends who talked freely to me but not to physicians, so I echo what others have said. I wish you well Geoff and Alan.

Phil O

Western Thunderer
I always do the bi-annual sh1t on a stick and so far the results have always been clear. Also a few years back when I had some sort of undetermined stomach disorder, which eventually cleared up by itself, the doctor shoved a finger up there and declared that I was alright as far as the prostate was concerned.

My uncle ignored it for several years and when he was diagnosed it was too late, but they did try, he lasted about 18 months with weekly visits to Guildford hospital for chemotherapy. He suffered a lot of discomfort for the last few months.

Glad to hear that you were caught in time and the prognosis is good.

cmax

Western Thunderer
When I took a seat in the camera-job clinic, the girl beside me said "Hiya". :thumbs: She added with a smirk on her face, :rolleyes: "Mines going down my throat. Where's yours's going grandad"?
:bowdown:
Hi Larry, I wanted to hit the like button, but it made me laugh so much that the cup of tea in my hand, ended up being half a cup of tea!, Sound advice from you, Geoff & Alan.

Gary

Geoff

Western Thunderer
First of all I would like to thank everyone for their kind and humorous comments, which gave me a laugh and cheered me up no end:)
Last week went rather well and I even managed to complete the station building save for a few minor details.

P1180923.JPG

The ragged corrugated sheeting and shabby appearance of the building is deliberate, for it won't be long before it is razed to the ground. Somewhere amongst the grass and weeds at the foot of the downpipes lies an etched drain cover. All the window frames and poster boards were made from styrene sheet, with posters from the Tiny Signs range. The platform surface is too neat for my liking and needs more grass and weeds, especially along the fencing.

P1180933.JPG

The first train to arrive.............

P1180951.JPG

.........and a spell of peace and quiet after its departure.

Geoff

Geoff

Western Thunderer
Brilliant Geof. I'm so glad you took up the 7mm challenge.
Simon

Thank you Simon, I'm glad as well and am enjoying my modelling more than ever in 7mm scale. Just wish I had changed to the big stuff earlier :)

That is most excellent Geoff,it seem`s that you and 7mm are well suited....:thumbs:

Brian.

Thanks Brian, the change of scale has been easier than I expected.

Geoff

Geoff

Western Thunderer
Daily visits to hospital for treatment are playing havoc with my modelling, but at least my weekends are free and my better half has excused me from household chores :D. So I have been working on simple jobs from the comfort of my favourite chair......

P1190019.JPG

This Parkside V24 van and the Slater's (Coopercraft) 04 5 plank have at last received a coat of paint. I used 'Lifecolor' BR unfitted grey for the bodywork, weathered black for the underframes and roof dirt for the van roof. Lettering is from the 'Railtec' range and both wagons now await weathering. The 04 has been modelled to represent one of the wagons that was taken into the RCH pool, so the Dean/Churchward brake gear has been replaced with the RCH pattern, and no sheet rail has been fitted. I am not claiming this model to be 100% accurate, but I am happy with it which is the main thing. That is the platelayers hut on the left, which is a scaled up version of my old Coopercraft model that first saw light of day on Penhydd, and in later years on Llangunllo.

P1190014.JPG

The model is a mix of 60thou styrene sheet, Evergreen strip and Slater's embossed brick...........

P1190016.JPG

I suppose the hut should have a felt, or corrugated iron roof but decided to use individual card slates instead, hence the pencil lines on the roof. My reasons for using slates was mainly as an experiment for when I come to work on the crossing keepers cottage roof.

P1190069.JPG

Imagine a push bike resting against the end wall, and a gate across the track leading to it. All being surrounded by GWR spear fencing, and long unkempt grass.

P1190070.JPG
Those sleepers will soon disappear amongst some more unkempt grass, as will a few empty oil drums.

P1190077.JPG

Roof slates are from pre painted postcard, with ridge tiles made from styrene sheet and half round styrene section.

P1190073.JPG
My Dapol 16T mineral wagon has also been lightly weathered, they weren't all rust buckets. The underframe was painted in the same weathered black as the V24 and 04, before being given washes of 'Lifecolor' frame dirt and brake dust weathering pigments. Rust patches on the body are a mix of Humbrol dark and light earth enamel, with various rust weathering powders stippled into them whilst still tacky. Once numbered and lettered, Railtec' again, the body was given a wash of 'Lifecolor' smoke.

P1180971 (2).JPG

To round things off a couple of shots of 1455 on the pick up goods...................

P1180969.JPG

Geoff

LarryG

Western Thunderer
The track and ground cover is so spot on and realistic that it wouldn't matter if a building was made from Meccano. Everything is developing so well. Glad I'm not the only one who wondered if fitting slates was over the top for buildings in the penniless Cambrian area. At least a stronger roof to support the weight of slates will be snugger for the occupants than a sweaty corrugated iron roof.

Geoff

Western Thunderer
Thanks for your kind comments Larry, perhaps a slate roof wasn't such a bad idea given the abundance of the stuff in Wales :)

Talking of roof's I hope your sheds weathered the storm and the circus at the Castle isn't annoying you too much.

Geoff

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Thanks for your kind comments Larry, perhaps a slate roof wasn't such a bad idea given the abundance of the stuff in Wales :)

Talking of roof's I hope your sheds weathered the storm and the circus at the Castle isn't annoying you too much.

Geoff
Self isolated and not going out, I had no idea how bad the storm had been.

The circus up at the castle? We have enough restrictions without those imposed while ITV is up there.

Geoff

Western Thunderer
Self isolated and not going out......

Sorry to hear that Larry,

The circus up at the castle?

That is how one of the locals was referring to the ITV lot, what with their tents and those annoying Santander salesmen :) The restrictions are a joke, the good folk of 'Gele' can't walk their dogs up near the castle or golf course, as for that 20mph speed limit don't get me started on that!

I hope you are all okay and soon back in circulation.

Geoff

jonte

Western Thunderer
Referring to that photo of Blodwell I posted, Geoff, you’ve made a fine job of colour matching the ‘tin’. Incredible work all round.

Jonte

Geoff

Western Thunderer
Referring to that photo of Blodwell I posted, Geoff, you’ve made a fine job of colour matching the ‘tin’. Incredible work all round.

Jonte

Thank you Jonte, the photo that you kindly posted proved to be a much appreciated godsend and came to light at just the right time ;)

Geoff

michael mott

Western Thunderer
Geoff that B&W pic had me do a double take. I don't know why but those B&W photos of the railways in "Railway Bylines" mag had much more appeal than the early colour pictures. your scene could have been lifted right out of the mag.

Michael

Geoff

Western Thunderer
Hi Michael,

I am a huge fan of 'Railway Bylines' and have taken much inspiration from the wonderful B&W photos within its pages. I believe the photos are more appealing because monochrome captures the atmosphere of the fifties and sixties far better than colour could ever do. Thank you for saying that my photo could have been lifted straight out of the pages of the magazine, that has really made my day.:)

Geoff

Geoff

Western Thunderer
P1190110.JPG

December hasn't really been a good month for modelling, daily radiotherapy sessions have seen to that, nevertheless I managed to complete another mineral wagon, and a few small jobs on the layout.

P1190088.JPG
This is the old Peco kit that was one of a range of wagons originally designed and produced by Richard Webster of Ratio, and now Dapol fame. The kit was a joy to build, the quality and fit of the components being superb. Not bad for a kit that first saw light of day way back in the 1980's.

P1190106.JPG

The weathering was carried out by using the same materials and techniques as my previous wagon, which was the subject of my last post and is still being slowly worked up. I'm working from a photo of an actual wagon again rather than my imagination. Just one more Slaters RCH 7-plank open to build now, and then my fleet of coal wagons will be complete.

P1190109.JPG

I also solved the problem of finding a suitable truck for the coal merchant when I discovered this 'Classic Commercials' kit for a Fordson V7 5 ton utility truck, which is available from DJParkins and what a fantastic kit it is !!

P1190091.JPG

I'm afraid my photo doesn't do the components justice, but believe me they are superb, naturally I couldn't resist a dry run of the main components.

P1190090.JPG

Now don't laugh but I am old enough to remember these old trucks, in fact a local haulage company converted some into lime spreaders which were still in regular service in the early sixties. The kit captures the character of the prototype and is just the right size for the small yard at Bleddfa, thank you David :)

Merry Christmas,

Geoff

Attachments

• P1190088.JPG
    P1190088.JPG
    148.9 KB · Views: 7

MarkR

Western Thunderer
Hi Geoff,
Lovely atmospheric modelling, I also enjoy “Railway Byelines” and “British Railways Illustrated”, but the former is my favourite, love the pictures, the more overgrown and run-down the better!
I also purchased the Classic Commercials Fordson, (mine remains in its box) just the job for the local coal merchant at Litton Cheney.
With my very best wishes for your successful course of treatment, the NHS are amazing.
Mark