7mm Bleddfa Road

Geoff

Western Thunderer
Thank you Stewart, the staff at the Clatterbridge Cancer Centres are awesome, despite working in difficult conditions they always have time for a spot of banter, a laugh and go about their duties with a smile. As you say the NHS is truly amazing, I have now passed the halfway mark and my treatment is going to plan.

So you bought a Fordson as well, cheeky question but do you remember them:) They come in a rather nice box don't they, a class act if ever there was one.

As for 'Railway Bylines' it amazes me how they continue to come up with such fantastic photos and articles, trouble is those very photos lead me astray.

P1190086.JPG

Best Wishes,

Geoff

MarkR

Western Thunderer
Hi Geoff
Glad you are being cared for so well.
Alas, I do not remember the Fordson lorry, but keep an eye out for them, along with other interesting vehicles, when we watch old 1950's British films on YouTube.
Mark

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Now don't laugh but I am old enough to remember these old trucks,
I'm not laughing Geoff, as they were regular enough in my spotting youth, but by heck they were ugly. Unlike railways, road vehicles were readily accessible for those of us who were interested. I knew pretty well every bus, lorry and car make off by heart. All sorts of vehicles were built on that chassis. The model looks to capture it well.

djparkins

Western Thunderer
View attachment 153784

December hasn't really been a good month for modelling, daily radiotherapy sessions have seen to that, nevertheless I managed to complete another mineral wagon, and a few small jobs on the layout.

View attachment 153778
This is the old Peco kit that was one of a range of wagons originally designed and produced by Richard Webster of Ratio, and now Dapol fame. The kit was a joy to build, the quality and fit of the components being superb. Not bad for a kit that first saw light of day way back in the 1980's.

View attachment 153782

The weathering was carried out by using the same materials and techniques as my previous wagon, which was the subject of my last post and is still being slowly worked up. I'm working from a photo of an actual wagon again rather than my imagination. Just one more Slaters RCH 7-plank open to build now, and then my fleet of coal wagons will be complete.

View attachment 153783

I also solved the problem of finding a suitable truck for the coal merchant when I discovered this 'Classic Commercials' kit for a Fordson V7 5 ton utility truck, which is available from DJParkins and what a fantastic kit it is !!

View attachment 153781

I'm afraid my photo doesn't do the components justice, but believe me they are superb, naturally I couldn't resist a dry run of the main components.

View attachment 153780

Now don't laugh but I am old enough to remember these old trucks, in fact a local haulage company converted some into lime spreaders which were still in regular service in the early sixties. The kit captures the character of the prototype and is just the right size for the small yard at Bleddfa, thank you David :)

Merry Christmas,

Geoff

My pleasure Geoff, and my very best wishes to you.

I love the layout by the way, and thoroughly enjoy the updates - and the photography.

David Parkins

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Morning Geoff, inspirational photos as ever.

Best wishes to you for 2022 and particularly for a positive outcome to your treatment.

(Not old enough to remember the Fordson)

Geoff

Western Thunderer
I'm not laughing Geoff, as they were regular enough in my spotting youth, but by heck they were ugly. Unlike railways, road vehicles were readily accessible for those of us who were interested. I knew pretty well every bus, lorry and car make off by heart. All sorts of vehicles were built on that chassis. The model looks to capture it well.

They certainly were ugly beasts Larry, I share your interest in buses, trucks and cars and spent my entire working life in the automotive industry. As for the versatility of the Fordson chassis have you seen this? A derelict Fordson 7V coal lorry, plus a printer's van.

All the best,
Geoff

My pleasure Geoff, and my very best wishes to you.

I love the layout by the way, and thoroughly enjoy the updates - and the photography.

David Parkins

Thank you David, and thanks for sending my orders so quickly.

Morning Geoff,

This lovely layout continues to pull at the dozing 7mm modeller within me.
It looks absolutely splendid and readily ticks all of those 'sleepy bucolic backwater ' boxes that I hold so dear.

My very of best wishes to you.

Rob.

Don't think that I have given up on dragging you into 7mm scale Rob:p

All the very best to you as well

Morning Geoff, inspirational photos as ever.

Best wishes to you for 2022 and particularly for a positive outcome to your treatment.

(Not old enough to remember the Fordson)

Thanks Chris, all the best.
Geoff

Geoff

Western Thunderer
Lovely work Geoff. I would agree Classic Commercials are excellent kits 're my Morris PV.

Thank you Alan they certainly are excellent kits, I have been following your build of the PV with interest. Our milkman used to have one but obviously with a open body.

All the best.

Geoff

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Geoff, the link you gave was very interesting reading, as I didn't have details of the Fordson history. The ones that stick in my mind were the coal lorries, short w.b. tippers and removal vans. All road vehicles had their own distinctive styling and radiators in those days. I regularly record old postwar movies off Freeview Channel 81 and it is easy to spot when Rootes or whoever have supplied the cars for key parts in the movie. A bit if a shunt from the Cambrian, so I'll shut up. :drool:

Wishing you a very Happy Christmas,
Larry

Geoff

Western Thunderer
Geoff, the link you gave was very interesting reading, as I didn't have details of the Fordson history. The ones that stick in my mind were the coal lorries, short w.b. tippers and removal vans. All road vehicles had their own distinctive styling and radiators in those days. I regularly record old postwar movies off Freeview Channel 81 and it is easy to spot when Rootes or whoever have supplied the cars for key parts in the movie. A bit if a shunt from the Cambrian, so I'll shut up. :drool:

Wishing you a very Happy Christmas,

Larry

Seeing as you didn't have details of Fordson history here is a spot of Christmas reading for you Larry, and anyone else who has an interest in commercial vehicles .

New Fordson Forward control 3-tonner | 17th September 1937 | The Commercial Motor Archive

All the very best for Christmas and the New Year.

Geoff

simond

Western Thunderer
I’d be a bit careful of believing some of the dimensions, the odd decimal point, or foot symbol wouldn’t go amiss!

(particularly the 154 gallon fuel tank!)

AJC

Western Thunderer
I’d be a bit careful of believing some of the dimensions, the odd decimal point, or foot symbol wouldn’t go amiss!

(particularly the 154 gallon fuel tank!)

The joys of optical character recognition! While the Commercial Motor archive is wonderful (and free, and comprehensive) some of the read outs are a little strange…

Adam

Last edited:

Geoff

Western Thunderer
P1190145.JPG

Well here I go with my first post on the new look forum, until a couple of weeks ago I had nothing to share. But having now completed my course of radiotherapy I'm slowly beginning to feel better. So rather than just snooze and read my afternoons away I have recently ventured into the railway room to take a few photos, cast a critical eye over the layout and to make a start on the crossing keepers cottage. I've also been continuing work on a Dapol van........

P1190162.JPG

After spending many hours looking through some of my railway albums, thumbing through 'Backtrack' and 'Railway Bylines' I have decided to model the cottage in a rundown condition. With the crossing keeper having been made redundant and transferred to pastures new the train crews now have to open and close the crossing gates. I have also decided to remove the fence in front of the cottage so that it can be moved further forward towards the cart track. Another thing I have been pondering was the style of the windows and the finish of the walls...........

Stonework.jpg

This is how I see the cottage looking, whether I can capture the appearance of the walls in model form remains to be seen, but I do enjoy a challenge.

P1190140.JPG

I started to upgrade this Dapol van in early December, and have only just completed it. Slater's vacuum pipes, hoses, lamp irons and a hose retaining claw have been fitted, along with a styrene chalk board.
P1190164 (2).JPG

I chose an actual van to model and came up with this...........

P1190143.JPG

'Lifecolor' acrylic paint and weathering washes were used, the colours being weathered and dirty black, roof dirt, carriage grime, brake dust and rail dirt, along with some Railmatch light brick for the faded door.

P1190152.JPG

I'm also working on a Dapol brake van which was bought cheaply on Ebay due to it being damaged. So far I have reattached the veranda glazing which had fallen into the van body, repaired a mark on one side of the body and reinstated some planking. Several grab handles which had been bent out of shape have been repaired and a coupling that was missing has been replaced. It is turning out to be an enjoyable project and well worth the £20 that the van cost me.

P1190125 (2).JPG

Finally a Peckett was recently seen in the quarry sidings beyond the road bridge, I best mention that the bridge and scenery is still very much work in progress.

Geoff

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
Looking splendid, and good to hear you’re feeling better Geoff.

It's a small thing, and personal preference, but I’d like to see the treads of the wagon wheels blackened. I realise they would wear to a shine through running, but they do tend to stick out like sore thumbs on model railways.

Geoff

Western Thunderer
Looking splendid, and good to hear you’re feeling better Geoff.

It's a small thing, and personal preference, but I’d like to see the treads of the wagon wheels blackened. I realise they would wear to a shine through running, but they do tend to stick out like sore thumbs on model railways.
Thank you Heather, it will be a couple more months before I am firing on all cylinders but I'm getting there :)

I agree with you about wheel treads, but in my 4mm days blackened treads seemed to collect dirt more easily. I have also gone solvent and chemical free and have disposed of my blackening fluids. So I now follow Martin Welch and use permanent marking pens to blacken metal surfaces, but I haven't tried using them on wheel treads?

Best Wishes,
Geoff