Book Books

28ten

Guv'nor
Western/Warship books

lancer1027 said:
I will have a look and see for you. If there are any interesting items i will let you know :thumbs:What date are you modelling?
looks as though its going to be '68 to '72 ish
Its surprising what I have come up with so far, one shot shows a big dent down the side, another shows part of the nameplate beading missing, and Phill found a few others as well

lancer1027

Western Thunderer
Western/Warship books

Firstly Cynric, the D1011 booklet has 1 pic taken July 73 which has the body swipe under the nameplate. All the others are during 74 or after,except for 3 which are in maroon ,two at ranelagh bridge in 62 and the other at exeter in 67. So i don't think this booklet would be of much help for pics. Western Power issue 6 has a pic at Paignton July 69. She is in blue with data panel below number plate. She has a stencilled shed plate behind the cab door and the caption says she is in pristine condition. Thunderer received slight collision damage and entered Swindon Works Jan 68. Whilst in their she received a repaint into blue. Profile of the Westerns has a pic jun 73 and again body swipe under nameplate. Western Power issue 8 has D849 Superb and in the background is Thunderer at Bristol Aug 69 no damage under nameplate, but no view of cab with numberplate. All the other pics i have both B+W or colour are after 74. I hope this has helped :thumbs:
Rob

28ten

Guv'nor
Western/Warship books

lancer1027 said:
Firstly Cynric, the D1011 booklet has 1 pic taken July 73 which has the body swipe under the nameplate. All the others are during 74 or after,except for 3 which are in maroon ,two at ranelagh bridge in 62 and the other at exeter in 67. So i don't think this booklet would be of much help for pics. Western Power issue 6 has a pic at Paignton July 69. She is in blue with data panel below number plate. She has a stencilled shed plate behind the cab door and the caption says she is in pristine condition. Thunderer received slight collision damage and entered Swindon Works Jan 68. Whilst in their she received a repaint into blue. Profile of the Westerns has a pic jun 73 and again body swipe under nameplate. Western Power issue 8 has D849 Superb and in the background is Thunderer at Bristol Aug 69 no damage under nameplate, but no view of cab with numberplate. All the other pics i have both B+W or colour are after 74. I hope this has helped :thumbs:
Rob
Thanks Rob
I think I will skip the body damage, although it seems to be quite a common 'feature' :scratch: I like the sound of the july/Aug 69 :thumbs:
there is a shot of an overhaul in Swindon works in '71, so im guessing that the damage occurred sometime between then and '73 ?
I have a shot of d1011 at Laira from railonline with the damaged nameplate but it looks as though the body has been repaired. anybody who says they all look the same deserves a good slap :D
I quite fancy D1016 with MFYP for the next one.....

lancer1027

Western Thunderer
Western/Warship books

Is that the pic in Heyday of the Westerns. If so and your going on that please note that there is not depot sticker/transfer. The nameplate looks pretty much intacked. She also received dual brakes and AWS during that visit to the Works in Aug 71. She had a new bufferbeam during her works visit in 68 where she was painted blue. Are you doing her as from the pic in Heyday and in Ex-Works:thumbs:

nascar24

Western/Warship books

I did try to buy a number of back issues of Classic Diesel & electric late last year but nothing was delivered after three weeks so after emailing again got no reply and eventually complained through Paypal and got an immediate refund but no apology!. I bought a back issue through Strathwood and was not impressed. For ?6.50 I thought it was very poor, not as good as the original Classic Diesel & electric magazine available a few years ago

Al

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
Western/Warship books

nascar24 said:
I did try to buy a number of back issues of Classic Diesel & electric late last year but nothing was delivered after three weeks so after emailing again got no reply and eventually complained through Paypal and got an immediate refund but no apology!. I bought a back issue through Strathwood and was not impressed. For ?6.50 I thought it was very poor, not as good as the original Classic Diesel & electric magazine available a few years ago

Al
Looks like he uses the same customer relations skills he was using when I tried to order the Hymek book then :x

Cheers Phill

BTW Welcome to the forum Al :wave:

lancer1027

Western Thunderer
Western/Warship books

I agree i never really got The Classic Diesel & Electric mag. Too much other stuff going on for my likeing :rolleyes: . The hydraulic stuff though i think is great :thumbs: (my opinion of course)I agree though, he seems to get too many things on the go and does'nt concentrate on one thing get that finished/posted out asap and then move on to the next project. I'm sure if he did this more people would be interested.
Rob :wave:

28ten

Guv'nor
Western/Warship books

nascar24 said:

Al
Hello and welcome Al,
Customer service does seem to be non existent, it is even made into a virtue on the website :eek: I dont know if its a part time business which might explain some of the, erm eccentricities

Dan Randall

Western Thunderer
New Wild Swan Book - Scratchbuilding semaphore signals

I had 25 minutes to kill at Paddington today, so I went for a poke around in W H Smith.

In the back of "Steam World", I saw an advertisement for a new WSP book called (I think), "Building Semaphore Signals" by Peter Squibb (I think the price was ?19.99).

Don't know if it's actually available yet, but it could be worth checking out. :)

Regards

Dan

28ten

Guv'nor
New Wild Swan Book

Dan Randall said:
I had 25 minutes to kill at Paddington today, so I went for a poke around in W H Smith.

In the back of "Steam World", I saw an advertisement for a new WSP book called (I think), "Building Semaphore Signals" by Peter Squibb (I think the price was ?19.99).

Don't know if it's actually available yet, but it could be worth checking out. :)

Regards

Dan
Apparently it is 'due soon' but this is WSP we are talking about :lol: I will be geting a copy though as Peter Squibb is a master at signalling

Dan Randall

Western Thunderer
New Wild Swan Book

28ten said:
[quote=""Dan Randall"":11xnbf6m]I had 25 minutes to kill at Paddington today, so I went for a poke around in W H Smith.

Regards

Dan
Apparently it is 'due soon' but this is WSP we are talking about :lol: I will be geting a copy though as Peter Squibb is a master at signalling[/quote:11xnbf6m]

There's something very pleasing about Wild Swan's modelling titles and I always look forward to new releases. I'm especially looking forward to Martyn Welch's 2nd Weathering book, which will apparently be in full colour :drool:

It's a pity they don't do the modelling titles as hard backs though - some of mine are looking a bit worse for wear.

Regards

Dan

Edit: Incorrect spelling of first name, now corrected. :oops:

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
New Wild Swan Book

Dan Randall said:
There's something very pleasing about Wild Swan's modelling titles and I always look forward to new releases. I'm especially looking forward to Martin Welch's 2nd Weathering book, which will apparently be in full colour :drool:

It's a pity they don't do the modelling titles as hard backs though - some of mine are looking a bit worse for wear.

Regards

Dan
Yes I'm a big fan too :thumbs: , the 7mm book helped me make my first steps in 7mm modelling & Martin's weathering book is a favourite too :cool: :cool: :cool:
Phill :wave:

lancer1027

Western Thunderer
New Wild Swan Book

Ooooh Martyn Welsh doing a second book and in colour :thumbs: . I use his book all the time so will have to get his 2nd one when its out :thumbs:

28ten

Guv'nor
New Wild Swan Book

I emailed Simon Castens today and apparently the Signaling book is at the printers and should be available soon.

lancer1027

Western Thunderer
Western/Warship books

Just a quick note to let everyone know. If your interested in the Western Collection's individual loco booklets, which are out of print and very rare, there are 3 on ebay D1019 Challenger, D1023 Fusilier and the very first one D1032 Marksman. There are no bids as yet and only ?2.50 starting price :thumbs: . To find them type class 52 western into search, scroll down the list till you get to Cast of Thousands (go past the D1032 booklet at ?17.99 :eek: ) click on the cast of thousands and then view sellers other items :thumbs: