BR Blue shunty planky TMD yard layout 33 challenge SPITAL JUNCTION now Kings Cross Depot

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
Clive,

Great idea for a different viewing perspective. If you can support your boards at a high level, the viewing angle will help support the "spotter's view" illusion.
Great minds think alike :D...........you were posting while I was digging out my dodgy slide scans :)

C

Clive

Clive,

Great idea for a different viewing perspective. If you can support your boards at a high level, the viewing angle will help support the "spotter's view" illusion.

I wondering if 9' is a bit tight for space, even in 4mm?

Nice one... I'm looking forward to seeing this progress.

Colin

Hi Colin

To answer your question about the length, 9 ft is scale length. From Gas Works Tunnel to the mainline train shed is only 8ft 6ins in 1/76th scale. The problem with building the whole station in that length of 8ft 6ins the track work goes from a little over 2ft at the tunnel end to 8ft 6ins wide from the tunnel on the Moorgate end of the York Road platform over to the siding alongside the Culross Buildings in the Milk Yard.

Yours

Clive

Colin M

Western Thunderer
If I remember right, there used to be a good model shop at the top of York Way, just across the road from the plat 1 exit.

And a visit to the greasiest spoon in London, a bit further down York Way, towards the gas cylinders topped off the visit!

Colin

C

Clive

That would be very visually interesting with quite high baseboards & platform 10 on the facing edge of the boards IMO, you would then view the layout as we all did at Kings Cross :cool:

Sorry about the rubbish quality (Kodak Instamatic) :oops::D

What period are you planning to model it ?

Phill :)

Hi Phil

High baseboards would be a requirement to try and get that feeling of being a part of the platform 10* posse.

I intend to model it from when I first trainspotted there in the mid to late 60s, the green days. Possibly with the turntable still in place.

As for the photos, any showing Pasenger Loco are a help.

Yours

Clive

* or the Platform 8 flock in the 1970's

Osgood

Western Thunderer
I bet the greasy spoon had nothing on the Paradise Cafe in Bristol - the 'chef' wore wellies......:eek:

BrushType4

Western Thunderer
I've been trying to draw my plans up in Templot. I know its me, but I'm struggling to get my head around it at the moment. :mad: :headbang:

Western Thunderer
Just for a minute I thought this was Lancer posting..... :D :)) :D ;)

No not lancer, I darent ask him to come out all day !!. Look what he's like after a night in telford :))

I had a good 10 hr drinking session for St George, & no hangover.

Steve :cool:

BrushType4

Western Thunderer
The concept is that the viewer is on the end of platform 10 watching the loco movements and the workings of the suburban station. From my tainspotting days the view from the end of platform 10 towards the suburban platforms was limited by the trainshed over 11, 12 and 13 so not too much of the suburban side of the Cross needs to be modelled. To get to the suburban platforms the trains entered the station area through the Up Relief tunnel.

Loco movements from the mianline station to and from the shed involved reversing in the Down Main tunnels, so locos on the model would use these as the fiddle yard.

Clive, I hope you don't mind but that's an excellent idea that I may 'borrow'. :D

I notice on your plans you've got the narrow gauge track used for moving small trucks of coal around. Will you be modelling that aspect too?

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Look at that bogie swing on the class 40 in the back ground, the buffer is well clear of the nose, glad I added all that buffer beam deck and pipework into mine now LOL.

Note also the middle brush type 4 radiators, not the Sereck type but original grill type, later replaced with the Sereck motor operated slated type.

BrushType4

Western Thunderer
A question for you all.

My latest plan for a layout is currently to be based on Kings Cross so I can play/operate my blue loco fleet. The track plan below is largely an unaltered version of Kings Cross Top Shed in the seventies. I've moved the signal box forward and left to represent a scenic break to the left side of the layout.

The dotted lines represent the baseboards. I'm thinking that a curved front would be rather nice and would also cut down on quite of lot of scenic work. Fiddle yards at both ends. The right hand side would be operated from the front and would be the main one for solo operation. The fiddle yard to the left would be for a second operator and would allow for more complicated and interesting moves. Parcel freight etc.

My question is would it actually work for a layout? I envisage that it will mainly be loco movements with the odd small freight, parcels and occasional appearance of a DMU. The main passenger traffic would be off scene.

image.jpg

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
Phil,
I think it would make an excellent layout, you have good scenic breaks at either side especially with the signal box being quite large, you have raised ground at the back, and if the viewing height was raised to say a 1.3-1.4m to baseboard top level it would work really well.
The viewing position needs to something similar to the photo in post 182.
You'd need screens off both sides to hide the cassettes/fiddle yard/ traverser ...what ever you are using.
I look forward to seeing it come to life mate.

Col.