Prototype BR Devon late 60s early 70s

Devonbelle

Western Thunderer
Been scanning again - this time fathers brake van trip

First weekend of March 1961 with a Heart of Devon Rambler - at Trusham - same prairie used the year before on a Rambler special. Also on the same day, shot of locos on Newton Abbot shed, including a 94xx. Plus the station - note power station chimneys,
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg image.jpg Finally round off with Summer 1962 Exeter St David's with Bullied pacific - City of Wells no less. I came over quite unnecessary when I saw the SR green GUV too. Paul

Tim V

Western Thunderer
A read of the Kingdom book on the Ashburton Branch may make it clearer. At the time of acquisition of the Dart Valley, the Expressway had already been planned, and a moribund railway wouldn't stand in the way.

The greatest loss was the Kingsbridge Branch, even if one side of BR didn't know what the other was doing, the land was still in BRB ownership at that time. For example it's the lack of land and the repurchase of the trackbed that is stilting redevelopment of the L&B. The WHR was an easy project (!) in comparison as the land had not been sold off. Track is easy to relay, compared to reacquiring land.

Captain Kernow

Western Thunderer
A read of the Kingdom book on the Ashburton Branch may make it clearer. At the time of acquisition of the Dart Valley, the Expressway had already been planned, and a moribund railway wouldn't stand in the way.
I'm not surprised that the dualling of the A38 was already in the plan, but then again, the road and railway would be required to accommodate each other, if the same project was being planned today, provided the plans of the heritage railway were sufficiently well advanced/known about. Back then, the potential/actual contribution to local economies of heritage railways wasn't understood.

Osgood

Western Thunderer
The Newton Abbott shed scene - first time I've seen a pit on a curve. Was this very unusual?

Devonbelle

Western Thunderer
Here goes another Devon Shot by father - June 1965 - 1466 at Totnes on the Tones quay line, with a dreadnought coach(?) behind the loco. Notice the rails to the quay are still shiny.

Then two following - in the West Midlands (I won't start a Midlands thread)- same month and same roll of film,

First a pannier at Solihull shunting car flats of new build tractors, then a Black 5 running through Widney Manor.

image.jpg image.jpg

image.jpg

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
I remember paying my supliment to travel in that Dreadnought coach behind the 14xx on the Dart Valley about 10 years after your farthers pic :)

Devonbelle

Western Thunderer
Hello - first post for about a year and Ive been scanning vintage family slides again - between working on the big railway; which is time consuming. First pic isn't at all archive - it just shows how GWML is changing fast now and its causing me to go out with my camera to capture things before the masts go up! With HSTs now 41 years old, things are going to change soon as they go.

First picture I took from the cab of Flying Scotsman, as I travelled up the GW Main Line, whilst on duty last June - the wires
and masts all by June 2016 through Goring on section Reading Didcot.

Anyway onto the main event - an archive picture in Devon. First one in Sumer 1956 - with a Castle captured by father heading toward Newton Abbot - I had to do a lot of restoration to the print which was 2ins x 2ins, I just couldn't read the nameplate.
image2.JPG

Blunsdon Sept 2007 3.jpeg

More to follow later in the week after the taster, all in the 1960s. Paul

Devonbelle

Western Thunderer
PICT1313.JPG Here we go Buckfastleigh September 1966 - taken by father when on his honeymoon! Next - same afternoon - a lovely grotty Toad, with my mother coerced to appear on the veranda. 3205 in the background.

PICT1315.JPG

Finally for today, Bristol built bus coming into Paignton Bus Garage - September 1966.
PICT1316.JPG

MarkR

Western Thunderer

Devonbelle

Western Thunderer
image.jpeg Couple more for tonight, a Warship at Paignton - albeit at the Zoo! A shot taken by mother of my father looking pleased with himself - he was to blame for my love of miniature and narrow gauge railways. Loving the Guiness advert on the booking office window. I travelled behind the Warship as a lad in the 70s and it was there when I took our youngest - albeit out of use and a natty class 37 had taken over - pleased to say the Warship survives at Hastings Miniature Railway.

Last shot for tonight was on same roll of film as my parents honeymoon and taken a few days before their wedding which was 16-9-66. The location is obvious, and the train is an up service coming in from Redbridge end of Southampton. I like the Gresley bogie van behind the Bullied.

image.jpeg

Last edited:

Simon

Flying Squad
Lovely pictures, thank you for sharing them with us. People and trains apart, wasn't Buckfastleigh beautiful before the Devon Expressway was built…..:(

Simon

jamiepage

Western Thunderer
That Southampton photo triggered a few memories, I must say. 1966 was a memorable year for all us Southern school kids; watching the last steam, Bulleid Pacifics, Standard tanks etc through Andover, all mingling with those terribly modern Warships and Class 33s.
One particular down working through Andover at 16.29 weekdays (just manageable to cop after a rush to the Junction after school), required the loco to uncouple, move forward then set back into a siding to pick up a parcels van before continuing westward.
The loco would be filled with us kids during the shunting, (how patient the crews were), but on a few occasions the van was a Gresley bogie, just like the photo; more than once, but it was unusual enough to sit in the memory.
Funny how that memory works- 50 years on and the number is still stored away for some reason, which is a bit disconcerting. E70551E.
Thanks for the photos.