BR (SR) Class 419 MLV

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
Thanks Mike. That's a lovely Schools. it is the only none Northern Loco that quite admire. I spend a bit of time on the NYMR and see Repton quite often. It always surprises me how big it appears and it some how has a very definite 'presence'. The MLV is looking mighty fine as well

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Hi 2 Robs,

thanks for the comments, much appreciated.

The livery will be Post Office red, hence the red primer. I had the transfers done by Frank Warner - Scale Model Transfers last year and a set for a class 128 - 55994 - another project on the to-do wish list.

regards

Mike

Dan Randall

Western Thunderer
That's looking rather nice Mike. :thumbs:

I have absolutely no use for one of these on my projected layout (Western Region - no 3rd rail...!), but am getting strangely drawn to this particular project. Not knowing much about Southern stuff myself, I assume they would have been outshopped in green when first built, but do you know if they ever carried all-over rail blue?

Also, how do you rate Peter Clark kits, with regard to ease of build, instructions and suchlike? I was looking at his web site only yesterday and was quite taken with his "Thumper" kits. :)

Regards

Dan

lancer1027

Western Thunderer
Dan Randall said:
That's looking rather nice Mike. :thumbs:

I have absolutely no use for one of these on my projected layout (Western Region - no 3rd rail...!), but am getting strangely drawn to this particular project. Not knowing much about Southern stuff myself, I assume they would have been outshopped in green when first built, but do you know if they ever carried all-over rail blue?

Also, how do you rate Peter Clark kits, with regard to ease of build, instructions and suchlike? I was looking at his web site only yesterday and was quite taken with his "Thumper" kits. :)

Regards

Dan
Hi Dan, yes some of them did appear in allover blue and if i remember correctly one was re-painted into allover blue in the late 80's/early 90's. (not 100% on the timescale). And before you ask how i know about SR. One of our club members used to work on the Southern :thumbs:

Rob :wave:

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Hi Dan and Rob,

Thanks for the comments guys.

They were all outshopped in plain green and initially carried no 'set' numbers over the cab windows. The 68xxx series was applied over the cab windows when they were repainted into blue & white. I only have photos of 68003 by now renumbered 9003 and S68004 again an anomolie - (the S prefix that is) painted plain blue, but no dates on the photos. 9001 & 9004 were the only two to have the Post Office livery, this was short lived, as 9004 was held-up, stage coach style at Merstham in Surrey one night and the new General Manager instantly ordered them to receive the then new Jaffa Cake livery, ASAP, which i think they all carried. Having the batteries meant that they were able to traverse non third rail lines, such as Redhill to Tonbridge in emergency, but only if the line was totally clear as the batteries could only just manage 30 minutes, but on the juice, they were very good and could haul a tail load of two or three GUVs.

For your Western layout Dan you have a choice of three Class 128 DPUs 55993, 4 & 5, which all had the Post Office livery, so there is no excuse.

Applied the roof colour this afternoon and having touched a drop of Railmatch Post Office red onto the lid of a can of Halfords Ford Flame Red and had trouble finding it when it had dried, I'll be using that can tomorrow for the body sides and i have a feeling that I have a can of Halfords equivalent of Warning Panel Yellow as well, if so, that will go on on Monday before I start on the underframe.

Photos to follow Monday PM.

With regard to Peter Clark kits, I'll do a seperate posting in the apropriate place.

regards

Mike

Dan Randall

Western Thunderer
lancer1027 said:
For your Western layout Dan you have a choice of three Class 128 DPUs 55993, 4 & 5, which all had the Post Office livery, so there is no excuse.

With regard to Peter Clark kits, I'll do a seperate posting in the apropriate place.

Thanks for the potted history on the MLV Mike. :thumbs: As for the Class 128, that is something I would indeed like a model of in 7mm (the WR gangwayed version of course - I thought the non-gangwayed version looked a little odd). I've actually been bending the ear of Chris Hillier (Hurn Models), about this and believe he's giving it serious thought, as a future kit project. :)

Looking forward to further info on Peter Clark's kits. :thumbs:

28ten said:
I rather like SR units, I put it down to formative years on Reading Station :scratch: :laugh:

I rather like the SR units too. As neither of my parents drive, all our family holidays meant a train journey at each end. :thumbs: Many's the time we travelled from our home in Slough to Reading. There we would clamber aboard a Southern unit of some description (sorry, they all looked a bit samey to me...) and trundle off down to Portsmouth Harbour (I can't remember now if we caught the train from the east end of Reading station (electric), or from the west end, but I do remember the train stopped at a station called North Camp).

On reaching Portsmouth, it was time to catch the Isle of Wight ferry to Ryde Pier Head, followed by another short train ride (ex London Underground stock), to Ryde Esplanade. A short walk across the station forecourt saw a line up of more Southern Vectis buses than you could shake a stick at, all painted a lovely shade of green. Many of them were Bristol Lodekkas, which were familiar to me, as they were used by the Thames Valley Bus Company in Slough.

I wish I could go back and do it all again, just as it was....

Regards

Dan

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Hi Dan ,

just checked through the photos that I have of the 128s and 55991 & 55992 both retained their corridor connections when ran in the Post Office livery the remainder of the ex BR (WR) group had had them removed at a much earlier date.

regards

Mike

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
28ten said:
I rather like SR units, I put it down to formative years on Reading Station :scratch: :laugh:
yes me too :D .........I blame a Southern Region Railrover & Reggie Perrin :laugh:

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
good old Reggie.

The exterior body paintwork is now complete and can now be left to harden up, whilst I concentrate on the underframe.

[attachment=3:26gmkd0y]IMG_1070.JPG[/attachment:26gmkd0y]

[attachment=2:26gmkd0y]IMG_1072.JPG[/attachment:26gmkd0y]

[attachment=1:26gmkd0y]IMG_1073.JPG[/attachment:26gmkd0y]

[attachment=0:26gmkd0y]IMG_1074.JPG[/attachment:26gmkd0y]

The yellow is not as bright in real life, it has been enhanced by the flash, the overall finish will be very very light (for me) weathering so it will be toned down to a certain extent. The red looks 'thin' but again it's a trick of the flash.

I have folded down the solebar (the solebar is red to match the bodyside) and soldered the buffer beams up and turned my attention to the bogies and the ride height. I am having a re-think on the power bogie as the traction motors as currently 'retained' do not leave much in the way of 'pivot area'. I am therefore having to lower the retention point to allow the frame on the traction motor to be in a lower position and hopefully out of the way. Once I have solved this, i will attach a pivot box to the underside of the floor in a similar manner to Way-O bogies - the trailing bogie is Way-O so the ride heights will therefore be the same.
regards

Mike

Attachments

• IMG_1070.JPG
    IMG_1070.JPG
    217.2 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_1072.JPG
    IMG_1072.JPG
    195.8 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_1073.JPG
    IMG_1073.JPG
    206.9 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_1074.JPG
    IMG_1074.JPG
    256.4 KB · Views: 48

Dan Randall

Western Thunderer
Ressaldar said:
Hi Dan ,

just checked through the photos that I have of the 128s and 55991 & 55992 both retained their corridor connections when ran in the Post Office livery the remainder of the ex BR (WR) group had had them removed at a much earlier date.

regards

Mike

Hi Mike

If, sorry, when I do a 128, it'll be either green or rail blue. :) Post Office livery is a bit out of my period, but it's worth knowing that the two units you mentioned retained their gangways at this period in time. If I utilise one of the numbers you mentioned for my model, I won't have some rivet counter telling me it shouldn't have gangways. :lol:

Your MLV is looking good with a lick of paint on it - well done. :thumbs:

Regards

Dan

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Hi Dan,

watch out for the rivet counters :eek: :eek: :eek: there are so many little differences between each member of the class, even on the livery in some cases. When I did 55993, I had a complaint from somebody about the typeface of EXPRESS PARCELS and it nearly came to blows, but I produced a photo of mine and I claimed victory.

[attachment=0:1aq3ks95]DSCF3683.JPG[/attachment:1aq3ks95]

Might be tempted to get another one at Telford, we'll see, as other plans are also cooking at the moment.

regards

Mike

Attachments

• DSCF3683.JPG
    DSCF3683.JPG
    144.3 KB · Views: 32

Dan Randall

Western Thunderer
Ressaldar said:
Hi Dan,

watch out for the rivet counters :eek: :eek: :eek: there are so many little differences between each member of the class, even on the livery in some cases. When I did 55993, I had a complaint from somebody about the typeface of EXPRESS PARCELS and it nearly came to blows, but I produced a photo of mine and I claimed victory.

[attachment=0:3t9spysy]DSCF3683.JPG[/attachment:3t9spysy]

That made me chuckle Mike, but I?m glad you put the twat in his place. :thumbs: If I do mine in blue, it will be like this one from Paul Bartlett?s excellent web site:

http://gallery6801.fotopic.net/p10440802.html

28ten said:
Dan, a green 128 sounds good!

Hi Cynric ? I thought the mention of a green 128 would get at least one other person excited. :) Dipping into Paul Bartlett?s web site again, turns up this gem. Pity it?s not in colour though?.

http://gallery6801.fotopic.net/p10440805.html

Regards

Dan

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Dan,

I think that it's the hair style of the character who is getting in/out of the cab that dates the picture more than the livery ever could :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

there are some very good pictures on Paul Bartlett's website.

regards

Mike

28ten

Guv'nor
Dan Randall said:
[quote=""28ten"":33aeb005]Dan, a green 128 sounds good!

Hi Cynric ? I thought the mention of a green 128 would get at least one other person excited. :) Dipping into Paul Bartlett?s web site again, turns up this gem. Pity it?s not in colour though?.

http://gallery6801.fotopic.net/p10440805.html

Regards

Dan[/quote:33aeb005]
Yeah baby :laugh:
I still want a GW railcar -maybe at telford... :D

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Having sorted out the pivot height conundrum attention has turned to the underframe. The buffer beamfolds up on itself and the solebars are folded down The framing angles have to be folded up and together with the trusses fit to the underside via a few slots and tabs the resultant structure is quite strong.

I fitted two pieces of copper faced paxolin either side of the trailing axle bolt hole with epoxy and whilst this set, soldered the overlays onto the trusses to form 'T' sections,and fitted the 'non kit supplied' items - Sidelines knuckle couplings, similar to Kadees but without the uncoupling loop and a set of Prestige BR Electric buffers. Then back to the trailing bogie and fitted wipers to each side so that pick-up is now on six wheels (there is no space to put pick=ups on the geared wheels). A hole was drilled part way along the floor pan to pass the wiring through and then a chocholate block was bolted to the floor pan close to the power bogie such that it did not restrict the pivoting of the bogie and all wires were connected and the chassis powered up and ran first time.

Then the body was mated with the chassis, held together with eight 8BA bolts - the nuts having been solded onto the bottom flange of the body as one of the oroiginal tasks.

There is quite a bit of weight in the castings still to be soldered to the chassis so I will wait until all construction is complete before assessing the need for any additional weight.

I took these photos without the flash - hence the apparent colour variation.

[attachment=3:pqj203zn]IMG_1075.JPG[/attachment:pqj203zn]

[attachment=2:pqj203zn]IMG_1077.JPG[/attachment:pqj203zn]

[attachment=1:pqj203zn]IMG_1078.JPG[/attachment:pqj203zn]

[attachment=0:pqj203zn]IMG_1079.JPG[/attachment:pqj203zn]

I'll post some close-ups of the chassis when I take the body off tomorrow.

regards

Mike

Attachments

• IMG_1075.JPG
    IMG_1075.JPG
    243.4 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1077.JPG
    IMG_1077.JPG
    192.2 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1078.JPG
    IMG_1078.JPG
    242.8 KB · Views: 16