7mm Buckjumper's Workbench - Latest: GCR D8 open wagons

Buckjumper

Flying Squad
Give me a break, I was only given it a few days ago. :( Telford is the due date, but it'll be ready well before then.

This is a very transitional period as I'm finishing off the last of a long run of Eastern region based models and heralds the beginning of what will be a predominantly BR(S)/Southern (ex LSW) run which could last a couple of years. Apart from having built a David Andrews Schools in the past it's uncharted territories for me.

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Give me a break... this heralds the beginning of what will be a predominantly BR(S)/Southern (ex LSW) run which could last a couple of years... it's uncharted territories for me.
This is not the first time that unfamiliarity with the prototype has been put forward as an alternative to procrastination :rolleyes: .

regards Prof Barking (for no good reason)

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
Adrian,

So sorry to hear of your woes when we met at Reading. It's lovely to see you getting back into the swing of things.

I did wonder where Jim's Queen Mary had got to - I noticed at Reading that he was now showing one off with earlier fittings than the one shown here.

I've got a couple of these beasties to build (in late SR condition) from Laurie Griffin kits, but still fancy one of the Connoisseur versions as a dual brake one to run with my diesels. Goodness knows why though...;)

Steph

Buckjumper

Flying Squad
Sometimes it's a relief not to think about replacing this or that sprue with fiddly etched bits, and instead just enjoy building a plastic kit as it comes straight out of the box before slapping a bit of paint on here and there to tart it up. It's very much like going back to your modelling roots.

sr_van_s47491_02.jpg

Yes, of course any kit can be improved upon, but very occasionally the decision is out of my hands, and when those times come it's a nice change to just go with the flow.

The photo was taken with a long exposure at sunset with a storm brewing overhead which gave off quite a magical light.

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
Good work with the SR box van :thumbs:. Just goes to show plastic kits can look good despite being castigated in/by some quarters.

Reminds me I'll have to get one to build it into the cross channel version...:confused:.

Buckjumper

Flying Squad
Okey-dokes - dredging this up from the bowels of page 7 of Area 51 here are some of the things I completed in the last half of 2013. I've not got photos of everything - these are just the ones I've got stored on my cloud. Once I can access my hard drives again I'll put some more piccies up.

First up a companion the the earlier SR van, but this one in a very grubby pre-1936 livery.

sr_van_45914_01.jpg

Next up is a Parkside Pill Box brake in the post-1936 livery. A lovely kit with lots of little detail parts which took quite a while to put together, but all the parts fitted perfectly giving you a lot of modelling time for the outlay and no frustration factor.

SR_pillbox_56021_01.jpg

I never did get to Telford last year, but met up with Jim at the December trade show at Reading where I handed over the second Queen Mary brake, this time a vacuum-only version in SR brown.Jim supplied the painted guard.

QMBV_SR_56291_01.jpg

It's a bit of a big beastie!

QMBV_SR_56291_02.jpg

I know very little about the Southern and it's stock, but the level of detail seems pretty good to my ignorant eyes.

QMBV_SR_56291_03.jpg

Last up is something I'd wanted to build for ages - an SR PLV. I just love how these things never seem to have been cleaned from one repaint to the next, so are the grot aficionado's ultimate dream.Plv_01a.jpg
Under the grime it's actually finished in malachite - hints of it can be seen where the dirt has been worn away by the jackets and hands of the porters loading the van. I found a photo where someone had even managed to chalk something illegible in the grime on a window - I just had to replicate that! I added a bit of extra detail to the underframe - some pipe runs and safety loops - as they add so much to the overall picture.

plv_02.jpg

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
Adrian,
You probably did the right thing with the heavy weathering as there's some conjecture as to whether the PLVs ever actually carried Malachite.
The Queen Mary is a peach too, the level of detail is very good. We're now very well served for Southern brake vans with only the large Brighton van and the early Gondola bogie brake the only obvious omissions.
Lovely builds...
Steph

Buckjumper

Flying Squad
Adrian,
You probably did the right thing with the heavy weathering as there's some conjecture as to whether the PLVs ever actually carried Malachite.
The Queen Mary is a peach too, the level of detail is very good. We're now very well served for Southern brake vans with only the large Brighton van and the early Gondola bogie brake the only obvious omissions.
Lovely builds...
Steph

Thanks for that Steph, but now I'm intrigued - is it now believed they went directly from olive to crimson? Useful info for future builds as I know there's at least one Van B lined up for later in the year.

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
Adrian,
There are some who contend that vehicles repainted between about 1941 and Nationalisation were painted grey.
I'm not sure, but have failed to find a photo which conclusively shows Malachite. It's certainly true that there were vehicles at Nationalisation in Maunsell green, some of which had later styles of lettering.
It's one reason my two Slaters Vans B are currently unpainted, I'm not sure whether they should be Maunsell green or Malachite!
Steph

Buckjumper

Flying Squad
the plv looks great but I painted my axle boxes a black oily colour your's just look dirty in the photo.

Thanks Richard. There's a slight smear of Humbrol metalcote gunmetal and light grey on the axleboxes to indicate a little oil spillage, it's subtle - but yes, perhaps on this occasion it's a little too subtle for the general grottiness of the rest of the van.