Photo D1020

Discussion in 'Resources' started by 28ten, 2 March 2012.

1. 28ten

28ten Guv'nor

Yes it was withdrawn in '73. I have just checked Curtis and 1020 had the final overhaul in December '71. It went blue on 29/11/67 and looking at those shots it shows :)

2. Dan Randall

Dan Randall Western Thunderer

The frontal view seems to indicate that there are two seperate coat hooks on the bulkhead door. I only fitted one to "Rifleman"..... :(

Great find by the way Cynric. :thumbs:

Regards

Dan

3. Jordan

Jordan Mid-Western Thunderer

Love it..!! Here we are all going on about the paint, and the real super-detail addicts are checking out the coat hooks.... :D:D:D:p

40126 likes this.
  4. Phill Dyson

Phill Dyson Western Thunderer

I noticed the coat hooks too :oops::))

40126 likes this.
  5. Pennine MC

Pennine MC Western Thunderer

Are they plain metal, or painted:)

6. Dan Randall

My money's on painted - there's at least one coat on each hook! :))

I'd better get my coat I suppose.....

Regards

Dan

40126 likes this.
  7. Dan Randall

Well, the cab windows are pretty big and these details stand out. ;)

Regards

Dan

8. 28ten

28ten Guv'nor

I hadnt noticed :oops: I had put the coathangers down to urban myth, I dont recall seeing them on 1010 when I was in the cab

9. iploffy

iploffy OC Blue Brigade

Marsa where's all of the faded in the washing machine jokes your slacking mate:p

10. Dog Star

Dog Star Western Thunderer

If you run out of test pieces there is always the header of the WT home page....

The reaction to the photo suggests that "Hero" was probably unique and at the upper end of the washed-off and grottiness scale which makes me ask "why?". If the condition of the paintwork is the result of time between re-paints and number of trips through the carriage washer then how come other Westerns were not in a similar condition?

Or maybe Hero went longer between re-paints... or maybe Hero was the Laira equivalent of a Nag for the carriage sidings.

regards, Graham

11. lancer1027

lancer1027 Western Thunderer

Hero was painted into blue livery during the Swindon Works visit between 13/10/67 and released from the works 29/11/67. She did'nt enter the works again until 1/12/71. She was released from the works 12/4/72. She never had a Laira re-paint. Withdrawn from service 4/6/73 but her last day in traffic was 17/5/73.
    So she ran for 4 years approx , without any works visits or re-paint,hence her poor condition.

Rob

12. Pennine MC

Pennine MC Western Thunderer

I'd hesitate to say 'unique' Graham, but probably pretty bad by '1000' standards (although many Warships also got pretty manky at this period, and I do STR seeing a pic of another blue Western with maroon showing through).

Its VB only status would have become restrictive once airbraked stock started to proliferate, possibly that meant it wouldnt be as favoured as a DB loco.