Dapol BR Mark 1 Coach

richard carr

Western Thunderer
I took a couple of my Dapol Mk1s to the Love Lane layout yesterday here are few pictures.

The first thing to say is that I have not weathered the roofs yet. I concentrated on the underframes and ends. I also added very dilute dirt mixture to the door frames and then removed most of it, a similar thing with the opening windows.

DSC_0013.JPG

DSC_0015.JPG

20210518_155525.JPG

20210518_155534.JPG

20210518_155600.JPG

And finally one taken on my layout.

HF Dapol MK 1 maroon.jpg

Dan Randall

Western Thunderer
Looking good Richard - thanks for posting. :thumbs:

The Dapol/Lionheart Mk1s really capture the essence of the prototypes and a fully finished, 7mm scale, RTR coach of this calibre (for under £200), would have been unthinkable not that long ago!

Just a thought - from what I’ve seen, the glazing units seem to span one or two window openings, so I wonder if Dapol/Lionheart could be persuaded to produce some after-market glazing modules, with the sliding panes at the top, open to some degree or another? This would enable those that so desired, to introduce a few open windows here and there and would certainly add a little more realism, to what is already, a top-notch product!

Eagerly awaiting a 57ft Full Brake and other, standard length, body variants. :)

Regards

Dan

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
I took a couple of my Dapol Mk1s to the Love Lane layout yesterday here are few pictures.

The first thing to say is that I have not weathered the roofs yet. I concentrated on the underframes and ends. I also added very dilute dirt mixture to the door frames and then removed most of it, a similar thing with the opening windows.

View attachment 143333

View attachment 143334

View attachment 143335

View attachment 143336

View attachment 143337

And finally one taken on my layout.

View attachment 143332
Lovely bit of track in that last photo.. ;)

JB.

TheSnapper

Western Thunderer
Hi Dapol Mk1 Owners.
I am posting this for a friend as I haven't received my Blue&Grey coaches yet and can't help:
Any comments?

“The Dapol Mk1's come with a screw link on the guard's end of the BSK and their own version of Kadees elsewhere. This is fine if you are going to top and tail a set with BSK's, but not if you want to run a BG or GUV on the end.

I thought that it would be simple to remove the coupling from one end of the SK and replace it with a screw link, but not so. Even after unscrewing the chassis floor the Dapol coupling cannot be easily removed.

I find it next to impossible to use the loco coupling on the hook of a corridor coach, and the compromise of using a screw link on the coach onto the loco hook may be wrong but works for practical purposes. The only way of removing the Dapol buckeye seems to be clipping it off and then fitting a screw link through the hole in the buffer-beam.

As a work-around it is possible to leave the buckeye in place, and because it's mounted un-prototypically low, connect a screw link above it.
This can be achieved either by using the existing Dapol hook or replacing it with a full screw link coupling, which then drapes through the buckeye when not connected.

The buckeye isn't glaringly obvious when left in place, but why isn't it detachable?

Incidentally I've tried the above connecting a Heljan BG on the end and it looks good. Ride height and roofline match, only the buffers have a slight height variance.”

Cheers

Tim