7mm David Andrews Princess - 6206 Princess Marie Louise

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
This is one of these experiences which falls into the 'benefit of hindsight' category - and one for memory should this re-occur.

One solution would have been to re-engineer the rear of the frames by making up another set from scrap etch and solder them on the inside at points X. Then cut away the magenta bounded area of the original frames leaving an inset. This could either be left or filled with plasticard or tissue paper soaked in superglue.

s10pq5tl.jpg

simond

Western Thunderer
Rob,

I had missed that you were using American pickup. You’ll have guessed from my “diagnosis guide” that I’m far from a fan, though it probably works well on bogie diesel/electric locos or mu’s, and clearly you have made it work for you in previous builds.

I think the Slaters insulated hornblocks with split axles is the way to go if you don’t want to use rim pick-ups, but of course there is some added labour involved!. I’m quite happy with rim pick-ups, using the design I developed from David LO Smith’s drawings, in most cases.

cheers
Simon

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
Hi Gents, I didn't reply yesterday as I am only part way through the saga relaying what I did retrospectively having only taken photos as I went along without writing them up.

All issues of whether the styrene might wear over time aside, even with added weight on the trailing truck, the chassis still wouldn't go around a 6ft curve reliably so more drastic measures were needed.

Using a piercing saw I cut out part of the inner frames.

53911649526_db72271df6_b.jpg

Then I soldered a plate across the ends of the frames at the front by good fortune there were two tabs at the rear with could be soldered to.

53911999314_2354716d78_b.jpg

53911999294_bee998490b_b.jpg

I then reduced the width of the inner plate and soldered the frame pieces back together with some end plates to take up the gap left by the saw kerf.

53916065445_2b68fa5b6a_b.jpg

53915618556_269bebf36a_b.jpg

A quick dry fit of the rear truck leaves plenty of space either side of the inner swing so there should be no shorting but I may need to remove some of the spring casting to allow more swing to help it get around the curve - it's a long chassis.