HO Eine Sekundärbahn

Tim Hale

Western Thunderer
I apologise if anyone was expecting a series of rather dry posts about railway stuff but building a layout is as much a personal journey through both a landscape and time. It is no accident that the 'railway' occupies as little as 47% of the available space, my intention is to replicate as much of the surroundings as possible, my only regreat is that the ratio is way too much in favour of the railway.

The next 'big thing' will be RBWH and Jack-go-to-bed, not sure how to replicate them in HO, at least they cost next to nothing.

Tim

Jack_go-to-bed_2.jpg

RBWH_1.jpg

Last edited:

Tim Hale

Western Thunderer
Much as I like the Pola Agenturgebäude (wooden bungalow), I think that Pottendorf warrants a slightly more imposing building at the end of the line, maybe a würfel.

Pola offered a small example of the würfel (dice) building in various forms, I have an unopened example thanks to Mike G.

IMG_1147a.jpg

It bears a vague similarity to Redwitz an der Rodach on the line from Bamberg to Kronach, it just needs slight changes. Moreover, the same kit has been used before, this is the older Ep2 version of Pottendorf.

20180429_StMartin_800.jpg
I tend not to move too far from my comfort zone, having used the same kit on three different occasions over the past twenty years. Its simplicity lends itself to modification, none of the three stations were identical although I tend to repeat the same rendered finish with subtle washes of raw sienna. It merely reflects my lack of imagination.

Tim

Tim Hale

Western Thunderer
IMG_4719.jpg
This wondrous image recently appeared in my mailbox, I guess that someone saw the image of the watercrane and 98 812 either on here or the blog. However I am rather pleased that they belong together, the image was captured in ‘68 at Bad Neustadt, the last allocation of 98 812. The watercrane is a Shapeways product but made in brass, no other information about its maker was supplied, I merely had to wait a while to buy it, worth every Euro.

Tim

Tim Hale

Western Thunderer
Obsessive - not a good adjective but I do like to get it 'right' if I can.
Now I can reveal the result of trying to recover the rocks, just one completed so far to test the idea, here goes:-
First, just a dusting with matt white acrylic

IMG_2183.jpg

The top surface was brushed with WSS Weathering Powder desert yellow
IMG_2186.jpg

This side received a thin wash of W&N Yellow Ochre watercolour mixed with some matt medium and water
IMG_2187.jpg

The thin wash of W&N Yellow Ochre watercolour mix is more migratory and settles nicely in almost every crevice.

Now, all the rocks will be given the same treatment, then carefully cut to fit along the backscene in natural groups.

Tim

Last edited:

Tim Hale

Western Thunderer
Rather than plant the rocks on their plain side, I intend to cut them in order that there is so semblance of them being embedded with the plain side hidden against the backscene. This will allow me to align them as required by ‘The Observer’s Book of Geology’

IMG_4757.jpg
One last pet peeve, the shed’s fluorescent lighting really screws their actual colours, the rocks should be lighter than the buildings but not a different hue. The imaging software doesn’t seem to cope with the problem particularly well despite its outrageous cost.

Tim

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
One last pet peeve, the shed’s fluorescent lighting really screws their actual colours, the rocks should be lighter than the buildings but not a different hue. The imaging software doesn’t seem to cope with the problem particularly well despite its outrageous cost.

Depending on the photo imaging software there is usually a function to adjust/correct for daylight balance.

For layout lighting I always go for either daylight bulbs or LED strip.