Finescale - of a sort?!

Giles

Western Thunderer
I am absolutely amazed yet again! I wouldn't have thought it possible up get such a good result from lets say - historic - techniques... but in the other hand, given your hand, and patience, why not.....?

Stunning.

Simon

Flying Squad
A fantastic result Pete, I'm a great fan of that wood filler and committed all sorts of "crimes" with it over the years - none so worthy of Baker Street's interest as this masterpiece though!

Fabulous, I feel inspired to go down to the shed and give my nascent workbench a rub down and another coat of yacht varnish.

Simon

Richard Insole

Western Thunderer
FANTASTIC!

That's has come together rather well! I am so pleased that all your efforts have come together as an overall success. Did you manage to finish off the new bottle of glue in the end? :)

Rich

Peter Insole

Western Thunderer
Thank you all for your kind comments.

I must admit that the dome looked reasonably OK. while still in matt undercoat... but oh dear, the gloss did take the shine off a bit - if that makes any sense ?!!

hSAM_yx6381.JPG hSAM_yx6384.JPG

The top section has a few dimples here and there, but nothing that looks too unnatural, and the flare is not so bad either. It is the flat, middle bit that shows some 'orrible wobbles!! My only consolation is that the rear quadrant will be mostly covered by a huge, circular wooden pattress for mounting a big brass pressure gauge, while each side will carry the curved, rectangular nameplates. Both features should hopefully help to break up the appearance of any awkward and uneven reflections ?!

Still on the subject of things that waver; yesterday, I fancied that the terribly plain black paint on the tank sides was cured and hard enough for some vital embellishment...

Fools rush in... and all that ?!

It started out (almost) well enough...

hSAM_yx6392.JPG

I used a soft pencil and a compass point to carefully and lightly mark out the lining, which was tricky enough, running so close to the rivets at either end, along the rounded bottom edge of the tank and just over the commencement of the top curve, without an additional, and rather worrying, new handicap.

For a while, I have noticed a tendency for my right hand to shake a little. Up until recently it has been nothing much more than a slight nuisance every now and then, but it has now reached the stage of becoming an obvious cause for real concern. The tremors are leading to even more clumsiness than usual!

I had intended to use my old familiar, bodged-up-"Isograph" lining pen to paint the outlines, then fill with a fine brush - in just the same way that I have done clock dials on several occasions in the past. The larger, broad, outer concave curves were done first, giving me clear and accurate "targets" to aim the straight lines between, and that is where it started to go wrong... While taking the precaution of cleaning any clag out for the next four, fine lines, I had one of those bigger blooming shakes, and quite successfully managed to dispatch the little needle somewhere into the ether! Unfortunately I could not find a spare, anywhere, so there was no alternative to using a more traditional, brush-ruling technique.

Even though I have done an awful lot of the latter over the years, it still requires bags of confidence, and a particularly steady hand!

Oh dear Liza, there (seems to be a bit of) a hole in my bucket..!!

hSAM_yx6395.JPG

The thin, short curves and verticals were utterly exhausting to execute, so I gave in for the evening. It seemed like a good idea to let the work dry off overnight before tackling the long runs anyway?!

I had an appointment for an early lunch with a friend, so got up with the (absent and almost extinct) larks, in order to get cracking this morning...

hSAM_yx6400.JPG hSAM_yx6407.JPG

Not so sure that I'm glad I did, as when it came to the hour for packing up, I had well and truly lost count of the number of times that I had to wipe away each failed attempt - and start again!

It wasn't just the thinners that were fuming!!

What really frightens me is knowing that I have still got the other side to do...?!

Pete.

Attachments

• hSAM_yx6397.JPG
    hSAM_yx6397.JPG
    458.8 KB · Views: 3

Simon

Flying Squad
I'm sorry it was such a trial for you, but it is an absolute privilege and complete pleasure to see this most beautiful creation coming together in the hands of a true artist.

Apart from anything else Pete, I will never forget your superb painting looking through the double decker's front window in the rain.

In awe....

Simon

Peter Insole

Western Thunderer
Thank you so much Simon, you are too kind!

I really want to do some more illustrations - and soon I hope, but am utterly determined to get this engine and little railway sorted out first. I'm rather afraid that if I start on anything else (complex and attention demanding) now, my focus will shift and all the momentum will be lost - as it has done before on so many other well intentioned projects?!

Pete.

michael mott

Western Thunderer
What a wonderful creation Tom, you know you need to think about adding another little loco to your Roster now that you have a railway happening, as you can see in my Avatar "Bertrand" has just the little beast for you it is called Pet and coincidentally enough it is also in the NRM;)

Michael

Peter Insole

Western Thunderer
Thank you Michael! "Pet" might have been a slightly simpler loco to build in the first place?! We (Richard and self) are collecting drawings and parts for a "whizzer" - a loco that the small people can be let loose on with only minimal supervision. Said persons have not only nodded their approval of the design choice, a Ruston LAT diesel, but determined it future name - so, apologies are due to Rich, who seems to have found himself thoroughly "volunteered"!

Pete.

Tom Insole

Western Thunderer
Now that looks REAL tasty work. I do wish I was closer that I could just nip in and both watch and learn some parts along with throw in some of my experience with lining items, Although I am still very early days of learning the art of signwriting and have of late not been practicing the technique.. I wonder if a signwriting Mal stick and some long bristle brushes might be worth a try? the great thing about them is with the right paint to thinners consistency and the long brush it takes up that wobble slightly by dragging the paint from the brush as you pull the line.

I've a couple of brushes in my tin if you did want to borrow them and give them a try on a pre-painted scrap to see how it feels?

I am getting very excited for my next nip in to see how Wren is looking! It also looks like it's getting close to a time for some plates! (could you message me some dimensions for them I'll give one a go in the same method we tried for the LAT!

"Son".

Tom Insole

Western Thunderer
You could always wind dad up and apply some graffiti to those wonderful tank sides when you're next over and he is distracted in another room (in water-soluble of course.....) :eek:
:O I wouldn't dream of it. had it of been a MK3 SKO in 5inch gauge I might have thought about it to suit the theme of the "Yoof" of today (those little rotters!! :rant:) If anything I wish I was more experienced to add the precise lines he wanted in the 1st place when he's left the room :p

Peter Insole

Western Thunderer
Thanks so much Tom, I do really appreciate your ideas and offers of help! I do regret mentioning my frustrations in that last posting, but it was a measure of how I was feeling at the time, allowing it to get the better of me and perhaps clouding my judgement somewhat?

Now having said that, I would like to offer an explanation:

It was not so much the tools, or even the technique that I found so troubling, but my stupid, wretched, physical condition that had so obviously escalated to a point where the problem can no longer be ignored. The horror was discovering that I couldn't actually hold whatever tool, be it pen or brush, properly - with the gentle, steady grip and control that after so many long years of experience I had grown accustomed to - and I admit, rather took for granted! It is a common issue, and I am sure most of us know, deep down, that it will probably and eventually affect us all. Being aware of the prospect is one thing, but it is still a nasty shock when it does start to happen though!

On a happier note; at least I can still wield a saw and other slightly heavier stuff - although that may be more frightening to others than it is to me at the moment?! - and the papier mache worked quite well, even if I had managed to stick more of it to me than I might have expected!!

At the end of the day, the wonky lining won't really matter - and indeed soon be forgotten anyway when folks are driving the engine up and down the garden - eh?!

Pete.

Tom Insole

Western Thunderer
Thanks so much Tom, I do really appreciate your ideas and offers of help! I do regret mentioning my frustrations in that last posting, but it was a measure of how I was feeling at the time, allowing it to get the better of me and perhaps clouding my judgement somewhat?

Now having said that, I would like to offer an explanation:

It was not so much the tools, or even the technique that I found so troubling, but my stupid, wretched, physical condition that had so obviously escalated to a point where the problem can no longer be ignored. The horror was discovering that I couldn't actually hold whatever tool, be it pen or brush, properly - with the gentle, steady grip and control that after so many long years of experience I had grown accustomed to - and I admit, rather took for granted! It is a common issue, and I am sure most of us know, deep down, that it will probably and eventually affect us all. Being aware of the prospect is one thing, but it is still a nasty shock when it does start to happen though!

On a happier note; at least I can still wield a saw and other slightly heavier stuff - although that may be more frightening to others than it is to me at the moment?! - and the papier mache worked quite well, even if I had managed to stick more of it to me than I might have expected!!

At the end of the day, the wonky lining won't really matter - and indeed soon be forgotten anyway when folks are driving the engine up and down the garden - eh?!

Pete.

The other thing to remember here is that you are doing exactly what was done back in the day just on a smaller scale. It's hand painted and that's never perfect each time! Even the folks who painted trains, tractors, lorries, signs, traction engines... I could go on, Would make the odd mistake or go slightly too heavy with the brush or not quite straight, but that's what makes the art so much more soulful.

It's still a damn sight better than the average Joe can do. x