2mm Found in the Attic!! - FS160 Switching Layout.

Discussion in 'Area 51' started by JimG, 14 July 2019.

1. Brian McKenzie

Brian McKenzie Western Thunderer

Bravo Jim, what a stunning comeback after such adversity.
    There's nothing like an impending exhibition deadline to accelerate the creativity.

2. JimG

JimG Western Thunderer

I've had a little bit of a lay-off from the layout over the past week or so - partly awaiting parts from Coastal DCC who were waiting on a delivery from the US, and partly being diverted back onto the new 3D printer to do some 7mm and 4mm work for others.

The next job to do was set up a small bus to feed all the micro-switches on the servos.

Fine160-050.jpg

The bus uses 2.5mm single core copper wire stripped out of twin and earth cable. At this stage the blue wire has been laid in.

Fine160-051.jpg

A closer shot of the bus supports - made out of 2mm plywood with the parts cut in the CNC machine and glued together

Fine160-053.jpg

The cable was stripped using my trusty old BIB stripper. The advantage of the BIB stripper is that it cut the insulation along the length of a piece of wire. Most strippers work off the end of a piece of wire. You can just see two cuts on the cable below the jaw end of the stripper.

Fine160-052.jpg

...and here's the cable stripped. It's fairly easy to cut the bit of insulation lengthwise with a knife and peel it off the wire.

Fine160-054.jpg

Here's most of the servo micro-switches wired up to the bus, which has the second brown cable installed.

Fine160-055.jpg

This is the left-hand end of the baseboard now, with a MERG EasyBus output module on the left controlling the servos and the MERG DCC cutout in the centre. I've never liked the NCE PowerCab method of overload cutout and I now fit the MERG unit to protect everything. It can be set to 1.5 amps which is more suited to the low amperages of today's motors in the smaller scales. The NCE terminal panel is to the right.

Fine160-056.jpg

At the right hand end of the baseboard there is the other MERG Easybus output module on the left controlling the servos at this end of the board. At the right are the Tam Valley Hex Juicer and Dual Juicer. These will control the crossings on the four diamonds on the layout. I had problems fitting the juicers. They come with rubber feet on the underside. These feet are quite soft so when you screw down the holding screws and try to pinch them tight, the boards would tend to bend. So the rubber feet were dispensed with and eight brass spacers were turned up, which you can just see under the fronts of the boards. But they can now be pinched down tight with no threat of distortion.

I've also managed to start whittling down my pile of stuff gathered over the years. The 6BA bolts holding down the juicers were bought from Whiston's catalogue about fifty years ago. Older - correction, very old :) - members may just remember Ken "Where's my Cat" Whiston, a purveyor of all things wonderful on the surplus market. A colleague in BBC Glasgow was a regular user of his catalogue and used to browbeat anyone with an interest to add to his order so that he could reach the amount which got a free gift. :)

Now I can get ahead with wiring up the track and getting something running. I will tidy up the wiring when everything is working properly. :):)

Jim.

TimC, Rob R, ScottW and 5 others like this.