Gauge O Guild - Guildex 7th & 8th September 2024 Bingley Hall on Stafford County Showground

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
Will the "advance tickets" entry procedure be sorted out properly this year, so it's not the slow shambles it was last year? :rolleyes: :shit:
Happy to say the advance ticket entry was working well when we arrived about 9:40 this morning - just a short queue & inside very quickly.

Marc Dobson

Western Thunderer
As a small trader this is the first time in over 20 years that I have not attended the show though choice. The main reasons were last year's lack of sales and the price of the stand compares with other shows. As a price comparison I can do two 4mm 2 day shows and have change left over compared to a guild show. Also I sell more 4mm (EM/P4) than 7mm.

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
My 'stash' from yesterday...
20240908_154934.jpg
To be fair I'd bought the Brake Van on RMweb, the handover was at Stafford.
The Berry Wiggins wagon is #101, it joins my other BW tanker #103. :thumbs:

I'm claiming Bargain of the Show for these two....
20240908_154955.jpg
As there is No Such Thing as 'too many mineral wagons', I got these two - mint but unboxed Dapols (might be Lionheart?) with removable loads, £20 each. :drool:
Happy bunny - although there was virtually no American O at all, & what there was was of no interest to me. It remains the Best Kept Secret in model railways. :D

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Oi Jordan (@Jordan)

You know we are buying up cheap Dapol 16T dust buckets, those two have sensible liveries for working the Colliery on Scruft's. And at a very attractive price- where were they hiding?

As for bargain of the day... Peter got two of Sister's T34 coach kits for £40.00 each and seeing as current retail is £99.90 then I reckon his two coaches trumps your two wagons!

Rgds, G

Last edited:

simond

Western Thunderer
On the M40 heading south

Met several WTers, long chats with Dave, Dan & Chris at Chris’s stand, and a good old yarn with Nick D and Warren H at theirs

Some lovely models on show, particularly enjoyed Andy’s Hunslet works, and the big Eastern roundy-roundy

Managed to restrict my investments to three second hand wagons, a bag of metal profiles and sheet from Barry, and some bits and pieces from Slaters.

All in all a pretty good show in my opinion

Last edited:

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
On the M40 heading south

Met several WTers, long chats with Dan & Chris at Chris’s stand, and a good old yarn with Nick D and Warren H at theirs

Some lovely models on show, particularly enjoyed Andy’s Hunslet works, and the big Eastern roundy-roundy

Managed to restrict my investments to three second hand wagons, a bag of metal profiles and sheet from Barry, and some bits and pieces from Slaters.

All in all a pretty good show in my opinion

Great to see you Simon, but where's the pink top and glasses?! Loads of Waters turned up and introduced themselves, great to see loads of people and in some cases put faces to avatars.

Loads and loads of questions and chatting with people about using plasticard, more than any previous demonstration I've done, which was quite unexpected. I had quite a few of the general public ask if I would be at Guildex next year, to which I could only answer - "If I get invited back, yes".

Allen M

Western Thunderer
Loads and loads of questions and chatting with people about using plasticard, more than any previous demonstration I've done, which was quite unexpected. I
I didn't speak to you as every time I passed the crowd was too deep. Good for you if not for me.
Speaking of Plasticard I got my first, + a bottle of Mek from Geoge Slater himself at a show in Barrow in Furnace about 1966 or 67 where he was demonstrating this new product

Regards
Allen

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
I didn't speak to you as every time I passed the crowd was too deep. Good for you if not for me.
Speaking of Plasticard I got my first, + a bottle of Mek from Geoge Slater himself at a show in Barrow in Furnace about 1966 or 67 where he was demonstrating this new product

Regards
Allen

Sorry not to be able to talk to you Allen, the only real time I didn't have a load of people to talk to were the first and last hours each day. Saying that, I was getting questions this morning even before the show opened!

Ian@StEnochs

Western Thunderer

Regards
Allen

I got my first plastikard from the same man at the first Glasgow show in the McLellan galleries. He had a going fag in his mouth all the time while he demonstrated how to weld with Mek!

I still have one of the original waxy paper bags of assorted strip but with very little left in it.

Ian

JimG

Western Thunderer
I got my first plastikard from the same man at the first Glasgow show in the McLellan galleries. He had a going fag in his mouth all the time while he demonstrated how to weld with Mek!
And I've still got my original Slaters Mekpak brush bought from George at the same show. :) If I remember correctly, that was February 1967, so the brush is getting close to sixty years old and still going strong. :)

Jim.

JimG

Western Thunderer
There's an official Slater's Mekpak brush?!

I think it might be more accurate to say that there was such an official brush. I originally had two and gave one away to a young friend with some Plastikard and Mekpak in the 70s thinking that I could get another brush to replace it. But I found that the brush then provided by Slaters was no longer the long bristle variety, but a more typical shorter bristle brush which did not work so well.

Jim.

Dave Holt

Western Thunderer
You can still get long bristle brushes suitable for applying solvents. Mine is a Daler Rowney Aquafine AF50 Script Liner with bristles approx 25 mm long.
Dave.