Magazine Gog Gazette

G

Graham Powell

GOG gazette November

arrived this morning. Just had a quick look . Looks like a good issue.
rgds
Graham Powell

Willy

Western Thunderer
GOG gazette November

Mine arrived safely here in France this lunch time so I am looking forward to reading it this evening. - I am retired so I have no time during the day! ;D

Willy

John D

Western Thunderer
GOG gazette November

Nice article on the construction of an A4 from an Acme kit. Not that I'm really into A4's but the guys made a really good job of it (I think anyway )......not perhaps the easiest of build jobs , the kit was designed by Jim Harris as part of his Transport Age range and sold on, as said in the article it's a bargain compared with the other alternatives available....and I have heard it said in the past that the body shape is better than the alternatives. But what do I know about A4's, me an ex-Crewe-ite living in exile, other than perhaps Frankie Webb taught young Nigel all there was to know about 3-cylinder propulsion,

I'll get me coat  :)

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
GOG gazette November

Hi  :wave:

I have started to delve into my copy of the Gazette & as usual it looks like a good read to me  :thumbs:.  Guild  membership is still the best ?25 a year I spend  :thumbs:. It's nice to hear from Jack Ray in the letters section who is and always has been an inspiration to me & my line  :bowdown:, one or two people have been kind enough to say that my garden railway has inspired them to have a go, well all I can say is my line would in turn not exist if it was not for the inspiration of Jack Ray & Don Neale & there respective  garden railways :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:
Although I have not read much more beyond the 'Trade News' I am looking forward to getting stuck into among others the R/C & starting in DCC articles, Fred's article on weathering Lionheart Panniers , the Acme A4 build, NSWGR Class 41 & the Coumes Valley Railway.

Cheers Phill  ;D

G

Graham Powell

GOG gazette November

Hi John, I can speak from some experience re the ACME A4. I've built three and they make into excellent models. Golden Shuttle was covered in the Gazette some years ago and sold for a four figure sum. A friend has Coomonwealth of Australia ( at least I think he has) and I have Silver Fox with a single chimney as featured in the film Elizabethan Express. I also advised a friend on building his. I thought it was an excellent kit and the chassis was one of the smoothest I've ever made. I would certainly build another if asked . Mike Stanley has made a very nice job of the one in the Gazette.
regards
Graham Powell

Willy

Western Thunderer
GOG gazette November

Now that I have had a chance to read through it I must say that I thoroughly enjoyed the "Splendid Monster" by Nick Baines. That is craftsmanship of the highest order and I imagine it would be a delight to watch her in action.

Willy

G

Graham Powell

GOG gazette November

Hi Willy, I agree. Very difficult thing to make though I found the article rather skimpy on details. I know there is a lot more on his website.
rgds
Graham Powell

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
GOG gazette November

mine arrived late morning and just as I picked it up off of the doormat, the bell rang and Scottish Power engineers were there, with no advance notices having been received, to fit the smart meters - so I will have to wait until after luch for my first glimpse.

regards

Mike

G

Graham Powell

GOG gazette November

I did notice a Bachmann A3 at ?1475 which is a bit steep as you can get them for around ?800 (ready painted). Typical of the exorbitant prices in the Gazette.
rgds
Graham Powell :thumbs:

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
GOG gazette November

CME & Bottlewasher said:
Hi Guys :wave:

Anyone noticed the Hymeks etc. (Heljan and JLTRT) for sale in Guild News?

I had to look away - have to spend money on the car :headbang: :headbang: :vista: :vista:

Enjoy!

CME :) :wave:
Yes the Heljan was reasonable, I did notice a SB Warship too for ?120 which is probably overpriced by about ?119.50 IMO ;D

G

Graham Powell

GOG gazette November

Just found a fully painted and lined Bachmann A3 at ?745.....
rgds
Graham Powell

nascar24

GOG gazette November

Got mine this pm but put a Wanted ad in and got first reply on Tuesday afternoon!, no wonder all the bargains have gone!!

Alan

G

Graham Powell

GOG gazette November

Hi Alan, Many years ago I had a pile of stuff to sell that had been given to a railway preservation society.
It included B/Lowke items which in my  ignorance, I sold at low prices. People were ringing me up BEFORE the
gazette had come out ( including traders and the then Chairman).  To give everybody a fair chance, I think that for sale items
should only be available after a certain date.  Mind you, I never think that there are any bargains in there!. Must
stress this was over 30 year ago and none of the people today were involved. rgds
Graham Powell

28ten

Guv'nor
GOG gazette November

Graham, I think that is the case at most sales.  Recently we sold some baby stuff at a local sale and it was gone before the doors even opened to the public - one of the organisers had nabbed it.

G

Graham Powell

GOG gazette November

Hi, The Chairman I could understand but how did the Traders find out?.
rgds
Graham Powell

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
GOG gazette November

Graham Powell said:
Hi, The Chairman I could understand but how did the Traders find out?.
rgds
Graham Powell
Hi Graham  :wave:

I think both the ex-Chairman & traders abusing this service leaves a bad taste  :mad:

Cheers Phill