Hairy Bikers and Other Petrol Heads

Allen M

Western Thunderer
Hi all
I find reliability a strange thing as it does not always relate to the age and/or value of the car. In 1976 I was a single parent, skint, with 3 kids, 4, 7 & 9 years old. I purchased a very old, colossal mileage LHD Peugeot 404 estate for about £80. totally reliable except about 80 miles/pint of oil. " years later I stuck a sale note in the window. I sold it for £30 to a man from somewhere in hot dusty Africa. He was going to strip it for mechanical parts as they never had rust problems but the mechanics ground to the point of being un-repairable.
Another cheap trade clearance car, about 1985 was a Hillman Avenger 1600 base model, PVC seats, rubber mats and a damaged OS front wing. Low mileage but inside was a giant ash tray. Two years & 40K later sold it for £100 and the only repair was a diaphragm in the carburetor.
Most of mine have been trade clearance because of age, minor damage or very high mileage but as I did my own servicing until I reached my 60s it did not matter.
The worst car with respect value/price was a brand new Renault Laguna 2lt company car about 1998/9. The ABS shuddered when it cut in but as I told the dealer the gear change & clutch was nearly as good as an old Maxi. I was glad to see the back of it.
My present car & may be my last is an ex mobility late 2001 Astra 1600 Auto (the dual clutch system) that is now just short of 50k It should do another 50k & at less than 5K/year I will be 90 by then.

I have some tales of some the others as well as the bikes but perhaps another day.
Regards
Allen Morgan

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Colin (@eastsidepilot),

By "travelling marshalls" I am referring to those marshalls who drove the course during a race and who were there to monitor / assist race entrants, such riders rode machines which were funded by the entrants. I think that there were five or six such marshalls at the time that I saw last a travelling marshall in the early 1980s.

regards, Graham

Osgood

Western Thunderer
The chequer plate needed all the help it could get but the Cummins ‘engine grey’ paint job did it no favours!

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
.........wouldn't want to 'lay it down' in a defensive riding situation when some one pulls out in front of you, resort to the truck drivers mantra ....'just keep it straight and hit'em mate '

Col.

simond

Western Thunderer
'lay it down'

you’d need a crane to get it up again.

Then again, the lower frame rails ground clearance is measured in millimetres, and judging by the rear mudguard, it’s got a very fat tyre in there, so perhaps it just sort of “leans”