Hairy Bikers and Other Petrol Heads

Allen M

Western Thunderer
Oh yes, the Golden Arrow. A friend had on when they were new. He gave me a lift on the one occasion he got charged with speeding.
When you look at the very successful Yamaha 250, 350 & 400 twins, on both road and track I wonder where they got there inspiration for the engine?
Am I cynical? No not me!

Regards
Allen Morgan

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
Our local roundabout on the by-pass was always great fun :D...."yesh shuree boy "

Col.
I'd not been aware of this previously - a sort of Speedway USA style with as many riders as you can cram on the track. I was a great fan of speedway and remember seeing Barry Briggs win the world championship at Wembley, and Ivan Mauger. Also Peter Craven who sadly lost his life at a meeting. I must try to renew my acquaintance with the sport which I loved for years.

Brian

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
I'd not been aware of this previously - a sort of Speedway USA style with as many riders as you can cram on the track. I was a great fan of speedway and remember seeing Barry Briggs win the world championship at Wembley, and Ivan Mauger. Also Peter Craven who sadly lost his life at a meeting. I must try to renew my acquaintance with the sport which I loved for years.

Brian

I was introduced to Speedway racing as a young kid, probably 5-6 years old by my Parents who used to go regularly to see Rayleigh Rockets. Probably the cause of my love of motorcycling.
American flat track has been around a long time and the style has influenced a lot of custom bike builders.

Col.

Boyblunder

Western Thunderer
A very clean looking Golden Arrow thanks Simon and more encouragement for me to finish that kit, now where did I put it. At full size I would much prefer the 1952 Square 4 in the row behind, although less exciting to ride. Oil consumption probably about the same, out of the exhaust from the Arrow and leaking out of the engine from the Square 4.

You mentioned the Honda 400F in Tim Mills photo thread and it remined me of my 1976 400F in Blue. A friend had bought one of the very first 400Fs in red with the pillion foot rests on the swinging arm, mine was a few months later with the footrests on a sub frame. One day we rode to Gt. Yarmouth with wives on the back via the newly completed Newmarket by-pass and found they both did exactly 104mph flat out, for the almost the whole length of the bypass (obviously before it was opened to the public if any police officers are reading this). Those were the days.

simond

Western Thunderer
Oh yes, the Golden Arrow. A friend had on when they were new. He gave me a lift on the one occasion he got charged with speeding.
When you look at the very successful Yamaha 250, 350 & 400 twins, on both road and track I wonder where they got there inspiration for the engine?
Am I cynical? No not me!

Regards
Allen Morgan

I suspect that a lot of two stroke twins had considerable common heritage. I think Yamaha invested a lot of effort in disc valve twins, but I believe Bridgestone (who made bikes as well as tyres) were there before them, and at least one website suggests that a German “Adler” 2s was the “inspiration”.

I had a pal who had a Yam 100/125 twin that was ridiculously quick, clip-ones, peashooter ‘spanny-boxes, the works. It also had the dubious benefit of drum brakes (TLS on the front?) and the ignition key switch in the side panel under the driver’s left cheek from which the key would fall, so he kept it in his jacket pocket. And no “kill switch”. All of which made the negotiation of a roundabout (with me on the back) with the throttle jammed open and him shouting “turn it OFF!!!” over his shoulder into a memorable trip to the swimming baths. The little peg that stops the throttle slide turning had broken or fallen out, and said slide stayed at the WOT position. He stalled it by standing on the back brake. Happy days!

Last edited:

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
The only two stroke I owned was a '76 GT750 which I'd bought new that year. A lot of lads I knew at that time were playing with Yamaha and Suzuki twins, mainly 250/350's, all trying to emulate Kenny Roberts with TZ fairings, seat and tank units but when tuned further they really flew.
Not many, if any, Kawasaki's as I recall, I think their road handling qualities went before them. Having said that the big Suzuki wasn't that much better, had a few weird moments on that at high speed and to be honest I preferred my Featherbed framed creations. It didn't last much more than 18 months, being totally worn out with 30,000 odd miles on the clock ( I did a fair bit of Rallying in those days).
When I say worn out the motor was strong still but the rest :rolleyes:, fork seals, steering head and swing arm bearings, shocks, wheel bearings and brakes etc. etc, although that last one would be down to late braking:eek: ........that bloody by-pass again :D.
I serviced it and then sold it to a mate and I continued playing with my real love of four strokes (mainly Triumph/Norton) but I did succumb to another Jap in '78 and bought a new Honda CB750 F2.

Col.

simond

Western Thunderer
We only had one, I bought MrsD a lovely KH125 to learn on. She decided biking wasn’t for her, and we sold it.

Sweet little bike, ideal commuter/shopper.

Max M

Western Thunderer
I've had two two strokes, the first a B175 Bantam which can trace its heritage to to the DKW RT 125 which goes back to the 1930's! Fortunately it was so basic that even a ham fisted sixteen year old couldn't muck it up. It had a 'race tuned' barrel and an expansion pipe. When I came to sell it I put the original exhaust back on and it performed better...possibly it could manage just over 60 m.p.h. rather than 55. Still got out dragged by invalid carriages though. :mad:

By contrast the other was a Yamaha RD200 bought some years later. The PO used it to go down the shops on as it was easier than getting the Vincent out! Nothing ever went wrong with it and changing the reeds and fitting some expansion pipes actually made a difference. :thumbs:

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
For a too short of a period I owned a 70's BSA export Lightning, in black, just found this and found it interesting

Man, wish I still owned that one :D

Col.....some where I have a photo :rolleyes:

PMP

Western Thunderer
My last two stroke was this one
7CE139B9-4459-4FC1-8C5D-112E4DE6E679.png
50BHP from it’s single cylinder whilst not fast in terms of top end around 80mph, it was either ‘on’ or ‘off’ as far as power delivery went. Going to work through the back lanes was a riot. Not the most practical bike I’ve ever owned, and a million miles from the dullest, one that sorted out those who can ride two strokes, and them that couldn’t.

Boyblunder

Western Thunderer
For a too short of a period I owned a 70's BSA export Lightning, in black, just found this and found it interesting

Man, wish I still owned that one :D

Col.....some where I have a photo :rolleyes:
Thanks Colin, very interesting to me. I love the Rocket 3 and the Fury 55 looked really good although I'm pretty sure it would have been quite unreliable as the owner says. I toured the BSA factory in 1971 and remember the amber coloured tanks going through, can't remember what colour the frames were on the "production line". I also remember it looked like a 19th century mill on the outside and the conditions inside were pretty awful. Had a garage clear out some months ago and one of the parts that went on the usual auction site was the detachable lighting set I fitted to my Bultaco 325 trials outfit when I used it to go to work. I now understand where Sammy Miller got his supply from, see picture. Fury Headlamp.jpg

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
On the subject of two strokes, I had a few. My favourites were my two Kawasaki triples, a KH 400 and a KH 500.

Both were great fun, anti-social and very nice to ride.

Of the two, the 400 was probably the nicest. The 500 though provoked the most comment. Not as bonkers as the earlier H1 but would shift when given the beans on account of it having a lovely balanced and mirror polished crankshaft and rods.

Fuel consumption was.........ahem.......interesting..

Liberal riding on the 500 could give a return of 22 mpg ish.............if you can't take a joke....

Rob

simond

Western Thunderer
22 mpg ish

that’s worse than my current LandRover.

it’s not worse than my earlier V8 Landies, but it’s close. Harriet, my 1954 S1V8 (898SBF) could return 25 mpg or so, on a run on the motorway, with a smallish boat in tow, but equally could gobble the thick end of a tankful over about 10 miles of boats and sandy beaches, (yes, about 1 mpg…)and probably never got over 20 round town, but it was a hoot.

My 3.9 Disco1 wasn’t much better…

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
I never seem to recall taking any notice of the mpg of the bikes we rode in the 70's and 80's, I suppose the fuel was relatively cheap back then not worry about it, but 22 mpg from a screaming 2-stroke I'm not surprised :D they all ways smelt like they were running too rich at any rate !
I'd be interested to know what you guys riding modern machines get nowadays ?.
By comparison my '84 Chevy C10 pick up, (#135 ), was running a tuned 350 cu in (5.7 litre) V8 on a four barrel Holley and straight through headers would return about 10 mpg round town and about 25 out on a motorway at a steady 70 mph thanks due to a lockup torque converter, dread to think what it would have been without.
Col.

simond

Western Thunderer
My 1250GS is just a year old. I’m getting ~ 48 mpg, probably 50:50 round town & out-of-town, not driven particularly hard.