Hairy Bikers and Other Petrol Heads

simond

Western Thunderer
a diversion from Brian’s photo thread, ‘erself’s motor…

89D42C69-0997-4B41-9992-135CAC78A20B.jpeg

Carrera ll, 3.2, 1986, would benefit from a complete top end strip & rebuild as it’s a tad smoky (comparisons with oil fired 48xx are odious) and the paint is going chalky in places. But it’s a joy to drive, and a sweet little thing.

Dangerous Davies

Western Thunderer
Re post 1048 the Ferguson TE20 looks interesting too. Can you tell us a little about it Davey?

Regarding the Lambretta, I had my first go at controlling a powered two wheeler on one of those. I was a ten year old and it was off road. IIRC it had shaft drive.

Cheers
Dave

simond

Western Thunderer
My first motor vehicle was a red and white scooter, maybe a Lambretta 150, that a pal and I purchased at the school fair white elephant stall for a fiver. I think we were about ten, so 55 years or so ago. My next door neighbour kindly collected it from the owner and rode it to my pal’s house, about five miles away, where we happily rode it up and down his drive.

I’m sure, looking back, that his parents must have been delighted…

it was very much nicer than this one, currently on eBay for £2150. Should have kept it!

799BF83D-C28F-40B4-8766-0A071FA4F309.jpeg

Osgood

Western Thunderer
While Showtracs are just not my thing, until only a year or so ago I had this one with a biggish generator.

GNU04 copy.jpgGNU03 copy.jpg
A Mines Rescue Scammell Mountaineer, used to tow a trailer-mounted emergency winder, the rope being slung over the shaft headstock.
I believe the only one to survive with its original generator set.
The generator is 2 x Rolls Royce C2 engines driving through clutches onto a single coupling to a 400V DC generator to power the winder motor.
The Mountaineer is Meadows diesel powered.
The trailer was interesting in that rail wheels were mounted inboard of the pneumatics, allowing it to be moved along track in colliery yards.
Winder.jpegWinder 2.jpeg
The plan was to mount a small 240V alternator in place of the dynamo exciter, pull up at a show, pull out the 4" dia. cable, fire up both engines and .......plug in an electric kettle for a brew up :D

Sadly it recently came time to clear the yard and, realising I would never get around to tidying her up, a new home had to be found for her :(

Well, it just about qualifies for Petrol Head, doesn't it?

Last edited:

davey4270

Western Thunderer
My first motor vehicle was a red and white scooter, maybe a Lambretta 150, that a pal and I purchased at the school fair white elephant stall for a fiver. I think we were about ten, so 55 years or so ago. My next door neighbour kindly collected it from the owner and rode it to my pal’s house, about five miles away, where we happily rode it up and down his drive.

I’m sure, looking back, that his parents must have been delighted…

it was very much nicer than this one, currently on eBay for £2150. Should have kept it!

View attachment 211293
LI series 3.