7mm James' O gauge workbench thread

jhockuk

Western Thunderer
Hi Graham,

They are not bad, having spent many years making war games minitures I have seen a lot worse.

These are small sample:

20130110_123628.jpg

20130110_123638.jpg

The bearing units are probably in need of the most cleaning, but even they are OK in my opinion.

I will be buying more kits from them, I want an OCA to go with the OBA, but I am unable to attend Bristol, plus I already have 2 other wagons to build, which will leave me with 4 in total paint.

BrushType4

Western Thunderer
The hinges do certainly need something to add more relief detail. Would brass wire and tube be the fix. Fiddly but worth while I think.

You done a great job though with it so far. :thumbs:

jhockuk

Western Thunderer
Cheers Phil,

I quick look on line and e look about right but real ones do not seem to have the triangle pattern, but that can be corrected with ease and craft knife!

Brass wire and tibe sounds like it could work, I will need to pick up so e smaller diameters tube, looks like Eileen's will be getting my custom this weekend in St Albans!

alcazar

AFAIK, this range started as "Post War Prototypes" and was designed by none other than David Parkins, of MMP fame.

The kit designs are years old and look dated now, but with a bit of work, still build up into decent models.

They are, perhaps, a LITTLE high priced compared with, say, the latest MMP offerings.

jhockuk

Western Thunderer
I am half tempted to swap the W irons on this kit for the sprung Bill Bedford items, does any one have experience of these items in 7mm?

On the kit one end is compensated and one is fixed, not having any experience in 7mm I am not sure if that is going to be an issue or not.

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
If the wagons have the BR plate style of axleguard then taslk to C&L about the Exactoscale sprung axleguards.

djparkins

Western Thunderer
AFAIK, this range started as "Post War Prototypes" and was designed by none other than David Parkins, of MMP fame.

The kit designs are years old and look dated now, but with a bit of work, still build up into decent models.

They are, perhaps, a LITTLE high priced compared with, say, the latest MMP offerings.

Yes - well when I did them in 1984/5 the SPA/OBA/OCA were £25.50 and the castings were done by ABS Models - so no flash and stright to black rubber production moulds from metal masters [the way both ourselves & Adrian still work]. Nice castings for the time. I could make an OBA in three hours - mind you I did not solder the strapping on - Evo Stik.

DJP

djparkins

Western Thunderer
I am half tempted to swap the W irons on this kit for the sprung Bill Bedford items, does any one have experience of these items in 7mm?

On the kit one end is compensated and one is fixed, not having any experience in 7mm I am not sure if that is going to be an issue or not.

They ran beautifully - sitting on three points - wheels all on the track all the time. Cannot see the issue,

djparkins

Western Thunderer
Has anyone ever done a build of one of those Seacows?
The instructions leave something to be desired....

Yes - I built a rake of eight in three working day 8 hour shifts when they came out - obviously not including painting. They were forced from my grasp by a customer loaded with the evil god of money [hard cash back then!] before I even had a chance to get the air brush out!

The things is Jeff - as I've said elsewhere - these YGBs were £25.50 for God's sake. The Sea Cow was the first wagon we did in 1984. Its nearly 30 years old!

Unfortunately the kits have never been upgraded and are being judged by the standards of today - which you cannot blame the modeller for, as the prices have been hiked & hiked but with never an upgrade to compensate for the price increases.

If you look at the new MMP wagons you will see that the prices are far LOWER than for these wagons - for far more 'kit' and include 20% VAT into the bargain!!! True they are riding of the economies of scale we get from our military production but, hell!

DJP
MMP
www.djparkins.com

jhockuk

Western Thunderer
No pictures this time, but I am getting on with it.

The W irons are on and I am starting on the under frame detail, I have the last few brass bits to add, brake levers and couple of other fittings before I start with the white metal parts, which will be interesting as this will be another first for me.

I do have a resistor on my Iron, I will try some scrap bits first but I think I will turn the iron down to do the white metal, despite being told 'over there' that a temperature controlled iron is not required.

I will confess that I did today purchase a 'hold and fold' from a well known emporium at the St Albans show, I have used it and it is very useful. I also got a pair of photo etch snips, again making life much simpler.

David,

Your dogfish is next on my build list, having got to grips with the basics on the PRMRP kit I am looking forward to building the MMP kit, there certainly is a lot more kit in your kits!

What I really like is the fact all the parts are numbered and good clear exploded diagrams, I am not trying to flatter you, but I am genuinely impressed by the product and and the service I have received at a very reasonable price.

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Your dogfish is next on my build list, having got to grips with the basics on the PRMRP kit I am looking forward to building the MMP kit, there certainly is a lot more kit in your kits!

What I really like is the fact all the parts are numbered and good clear exploded diagrams, I am not trying to flatter you, but I am genuinely impressed by the product and and the service I have received at a very reasonable price.
I second that comment about the numbering, the diagrams and the service - the price make one want to go back for more.

regards, Graham

alcazar

There is an excellent build of one or two of David's wagons here:

http://www.7mmlocomotives.co.uk/gallery2/main.php?g2_page=1

Page 1 of then gallery features the 45 ton GLW tank wagon, page 2 features the dogfish, the catfish, the glass-truck, and a Warship.
There are quite a few other diesels there too, including a 47, 56, 58 and a 60, all MMP.

I spent HOURS on there when I first found it, but nothing has been added for over a year now........:(

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Jhock temperature controlled irons are not needed for white metal work at all, worked for years with a fixed temp iron and had no issues, but you do need to get in and out fast though.

jhockuk

Western Thunderer
Jhock temperature controlled irons are not needed for white metal work at all, worked for years with a fixed temp iron and had no issues, but you do need to get in and out fast though.

Can ask what wattage iron you use please?

James