Kingswear for Dartmouth

Stephen Freeman

Western Thunderer
Hi,
I think I might have mentioned it to Paul before. Having looked at some other photos that only show the signal in the distance suggest this to be the case.

I have included a photo of said bracket but if they really want to model it in its about to be replaced state, I have an etch for that too!
The photo is of the 7mm scale version, which is just the same as the 4mm one, only bigger.bracketsgwr.jpg

gwrrob

Western Thunderer

Podartist79

Western Thunderer
Thank you for the kind comment.
Apologies I’m only just getting onto this.
Firstly, I don’t use an airbrush that much. I undertake much of the work using oil paints and brushes. I combine this with the use of weathering powders (I do use acrylic paint for the replacement planks).
The technique I use a lot of is applying an oil paint weathering mix, then wiping most of it off leaving it between planks and around raised detail. While that’s drying powders can be lightly applied adhering to the paint.
Sometimes the oil can leave a sheen, that is when I occasionally airbrush a fine matting layer, trying not to totally obliterate the previous variation created.
Underframes are airbrushed with a dirty mix then weathering powders used on top.
Hope this is useful.
Neil.

Podartist79

Western Thunderer
E69085F7-68A1-482A-975E-EC64E09AF60F.jpeg 803CAF38-9CAB-46B8-917B-52057AFCEA02.jpeg Some further work on Kingswear has taken place. The ‘hard standing’ areas around the turntable and at the other end of the section near the loading wharf and station.
Nigel Smith has been fundamental in creating the colours and textures. I’ve followed his lead at the station and dockside end incorporating the mess from loading and unloading of goods and most importantly coal (still very much a work in progress);FCDCC9DA-56C8-4F36-A451-F6E56AD905C6.jpeg 97C49B55-CDD9-445A-BE42-659FF6B8DE90.jpeg
Neil.

Podartist79

Western Thunderer
Further work on the ground texture by Nigel Smith and myself has been undertaken on the harbour area, coal loading area and around the turntable and engine shed.
I’ve made a start on creating the water areas. Once I’m happy with the colour I will be using a Woodland Scenics ‘Ripples’ Effect product over the top.
Paul Bambrick has also been working on snagging and super detailing these areas (pictures to follow at a future date).
E60F476C-38D1-4DD4-887A-DAFD1F31EA53.jpeg
Also, I’ve weathered another 3 wagons for the coal train, which we now know was around 18 wagons in length.
14DB183D-FA17-4F2A-A4F7-547D69EC5BE0.jpeg
6550903C-AC61-498C-8B86-DF095F7033A5.jpeg 345A8C54-4DA1-490B-B0E2-20F422FD09B8.jpeg 05A75581-4F75-49FD-ABE9-EACBF9624F3E.jpeg
Two are kit built, one I think a Bachman model?
Best wishes,
Neil.

jonte

Western Thunderer
You’ve nailed the colour of the water IMHO, Neil. Having visited several times over the years, I think I’m pretty qualified to say so ;)

Off at a tangent, I once owned a Contessa 26 which I had neither the time nor the funds to finish, and which lay there most of the time accruing yard fees. Reluctantly, and the point of my aside, I sold her to a guy, for buttons - with the skills, time and money I didn’t - who had a mooring on the Dart the exact size of a Contessa.

In my mind’s eye, I like to think of her broad reaching through the aquamarine with the station providing a suitable backdrop.Sigh.

Jonte

Podartist79

Western Thunderer
Thank you All very much for your kind comments.
I cannot stress enough that it is a team effort - I’m just responsible for the scenery elements .

Great story about the Contessa 26 Jonte - shame it didn’t come to pass…

Neil.

simond

Western Thunderer
I took my old 1966 Coronet 21DC (power, not sail!) to Dartmouth for a week's holiday some 22 years ago - the only time I've ever visited - my wife was pregnant with our daughter at the time - and we had a fine time cruising around the area. The guy on the fuel berth remarked on the boat, I said it was in a sorry and tatty state but slow progress was being made - he said "look around, there are hundreds, if not thousands of boats here, and most of them never, ever move, at least you're using yours", which cheered me up a bit!

It is a beautiful area, and the model is a wonderful representation - keep up the good work!

spikey faz

Western Thunderer
Fantastic!

We were on holiday down at Dartmouth just a few years ago. Those last few pictures bring back memories of us walking along the footpath than runs between the line and the river.

20170615_141429.jpg

What superb model making. By coincidence I have just bought the 'Creating a Backscene' book. A great read.

Mike