Lancashire & Yorkshire Locomotives - QCAD and Fusion 360

Renovater

Western Thunderer
Thank you. If I win the lottery, at this rate I could do a 12"/foot build ! :))

Ian
I wish i could do what you've done there, i did think some time ago now about learning CAD but found i could do just as quick with a pencil and paper and that put paid to that, having seen since what can really be done i regret not going further, at least a little bit. I do like the light in your images along with the colour it does look good.

Lancastrian

Western Thunderer
I wish i could do what you've done there, i did think some time ago now about learning CAD but found i could do just as quick with a pencil and paper and that put paid to that, having seen since what can really be done i regret not going further, at least a little bit. I do like the light in your images along with the colour it does look good.
Hi,

I only started with 3D CAD towards the end of last year. It has been a steep learning curve, and there is a lot I haven't yet made use of in Fusion 360, but I am managing to carry out what I currently need. Give it a try, although it can become addictive.

Ian

Last edited:

Osgood

Western Thunderer
Wow.
I can see how this could become addictive.
You could almost describe it as technical impressionism (as if there could ever be such a thing!).

At what point does it become a hobby in itself I wonder, like train sim where the physical modelling part has become replaced by CGI simulation of rail, stock, scenery?

simond

Western Thunderer
I’d not call it a new way of drawing.

3D CAD creates images, sure, but you “model“ them rather than draw them.

Start with a plane, draw a shape on it, and click a button to extrude it one side of the plane (or the other, or both sides equally) and then you have a 3D “solid” which you can rotate and view on the screen. Or you draw a shape (like a wheel rim) and an axis, and then click a button to rotate the shape around the axis.

You can add, or subtract, extruded forms from your initial solid, creating new planes as necessary. You can chamfer & fillet, add threads & other features. And once you have your object, you can mirror it, so you don’t draw a RH and a LH cylinder block, you model one, and then create a mirror image for t’other side. You clone things (like wheels) and then add or subtract material to make them same-but-different as required.

and you assemble your components, by defining the way in which they relate, just like a real component - this face touches that face, and these holes line up, or whatever the constraints are.

It still pleases me when I model something, it’s even better when you give the drawing to the machinist and he makes it, (or DIY) and it works….

Lancastrian

Western Thunderer
Michael,

Thank you. I've been using Fusion 360 for about 9 months now, on and off, and still have a lot to learn.

Osgood,

Not so much a hobby, but as Simon states in his post, a tool to let you achieve an end result. The cylinder blocks for example, could be made from etched parts and castings, or the whole could be 3D printed.

Ian

King Crab

Western Thunderer
A quick job on the outside HP cylinders for the compound, which need some more work to complete, but it was worth checking the alignment of parts with the frames.
View attachment 164904

The mounting plates still need to be added, along with details on the rear.
View attachment 164905

View attachment 164906

Ian

What is amazing is the clarity of information that 3D can provide to describe how everything fits. Or is it an illusion of perfection?
I'm in awe of the guys who did it in the old way.
Turning workshop drawings into live steam locos...

Peter

( Full disclosure, my father was a pattern maker in an engineering workshop)

adrian

Flying Squad
Todays alterations to correct a few issues and the addition of a chimney :)
A really impressive design, did you manage to resolve the cylinder and motion bracket alignment? Looking at the latest image the only thing that jars slightly are the wheels. Is it me or do the spokes on the wheels look a little "weedy"? I realise that they aren't the beefiest of items but they do look a little thin to me.

Dave Holt

Western Thunderer
Ian.
The shape of the firebox wrapper appears to have changed since post 116. The transition to the narrow portion now looks too low and too sharp.
Dave.