LarryG's loco & coach WB (4mm/00)

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Recessed door handles with a short length of brass handrail wire glued across the slots with SuperGlue...
WEB GWR K40 6B.jpg

All the foregoing soldering was done with a 25 watt iron. It's a 45 watt from here on. I etched my GWR solebars plain so that holes can be drilled to take stepboards...
WEB GWR K40 6C.jpg

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
The GWR DIAGRAM K40 Passenger Brake Van (Bow-ended) just needs the roof detailing. Steps were at one end only...
WEB GWR K40 7A.jpg

These 61 ft l 4½in. x 9ft . 0in vans were designed for use of cross-country services. They were a stretched and slightly wider version of the well known Ocean Mails vans...
WEB GWR K40 7B.jpg

LarryG

Western Thunderer
After spraying, and lining etc, the body sides were gien a coat of Halfords Satin Lacquer and then spray-weathered with a fine gun. Wise men will notice I shouldn't have ruled bars on the guard windows...
WEB GWR K40 9A.jpg

Glazed and roof glued down...
WEB GWR K40 9B.jpg

Weathering powders used for door-hinges, stepboards and bogies highlights...
WEB GWR K40 9C.jpg

Hornby corridor connections...
WEB GWR K40 9D.jpg

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Finished the K42 cross-country parcel van. It is contemporary with deep window non-corridor stock and has door handles off set from the centre of the grab handle. The extra long stepboards overlapping the buffer planks differed from previous parcels vans...

WEB GWR K42 5A.jpg

The K41 had shallower windows and higher waist and was not as modern in appearance as the K42 below...
WEB GWR K42 5B.jpg

Bogies are Pressed Steel 'Freight' version with small footboards and short springs. Robbed from a scrap Hornby Hawksworth coach....
WEB GWR K42 5C.jpg

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
The K42 parcels vans have a side corridor. I was utterly bone idle and simply soldered together some bits of etched corridor. The real partitions looked nothing like this!!!! I just ensured the guards cubicle was opposite the guards door...

WEB GWR K42 7B.jpg

Representative security grills were speedily ruled on the back of the glazing...
WEB GWR K42 7A.jpg

The grills can be seen from some angles...
WEB GWR K42 7D.jpg

LarryG

Western Thunderer
The corridor side of GWR Dia. K42 No. 164 in BR carmine & Cream livery. Running number minus a regional suffix at the LH end in the early 1950s....

WEB GWR K42 7H.jpg

Restored GWR Dia. K42 No. 276 in BR carmine & cream can be seen on the South Devon Railway. Long stepboards missing. Otherwise, this is restoration at its best with the interior corridor partition having been built from scratch and seen prior to painting brown & cream....
WEB GWR K42 6.jpgWEB GWR K42 000.jpg

Ex.works not long in traffic finish...
WEB GWR K42 7C.jpg

Yup, I forgot to fit end handrails AGAIN. They're on now!
WEB GWR K42 7F.jpg

Taken on the iPhone just now....
WEB GWR K42 7G.jpg

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
I placed an order a few days ago for two Hornby BR(W) coaches. They arrived yesterday. Both brandnew, but heavily discounted, I needed something to do today and decided to simply repaint the Hawksworth. Some work is due in the workroom Monday so this is my last job for a few days.

The Hawksworth GWR E163 composite is a well detailed model let down only by the small buffers. I chopped them off using track cutters and filed the stumps back to the buffer plank. The oblong holed were drilled out to suit Wizard models GWR coach buffers.

I have recently taken to using the iPhone for close-up images, its higher pixel rate and single optic scoring over the ageing DSLR with a wad of close up lenses screwed up front....
WEB GWR E163 1.jpgWEB GWR E163 2.jpg

Whitemetal buffers attached with Loctite instant glue...
WEB GWR E163 3.jpg

They made a big difference to the appearance of the GWR design coach...
WEB GWR E163 4.jpg

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Back from Tesco so here goes. Hornby coach in maroon & custard ;) with the glazing carefully removed...
WEB GWR E163 5.jpg

Overall coat of Halfords grey plastic primer to protect the yellow plastic and Hornby paint from cellulose..
WEB GWR E163 6.jpg

Cream panels added between compartments and cream painted compartments...
WEB GWR E163 7.jpg

Finished in weathered livery. The lining above the windows is tricky as the yellow line runs immediately below the beading strips atop the doors...
WEB GWR E163 8.jpg

There was a need for a composite and I bought etched sides for a 1930's Sunshine coach. However, this rtr Hawksworth fits the bill nicely...
WEB GWR E163 9.jpg

LarryG

Western Thunderer
I intend making my own couplings one day (a fav modellers choice of words), but in the meantime I have been fitting Bachmann 36-025 short couplings and 36-026 long tension-lock couplings and experimenting on the layout tracks. Two short couplings close-couple the coaches nicely and will still negotiate Peco large radius points without difficulty. But not the 28 in radius loop at the end of the layout...

WEB LMS coupling 1.jpg

Come coaches have a short at one end and a long at the other so that they can be turned around if necessary. This is a long and short on the 28" radius curve...
WEB LMS coupling 2.jpg

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
This is the Hornby BE Dia. C54 corridor third after being repainted...
WEB GWR C54 6.jpg

Once again, the correct large GWR buffers from Wizard Models replaced the originals. The carmine red band under the gutter is very shallow with lots of cream above the windows on these bow-ended coaches.
WEB GWR C54 4.jpg

The corridor side. Weathering on the coach sides is very subtle, representing a clean vehicle...
WEB GWR C54 5.jpg

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Thanks Phil. I have it in mind to replace the tension-locks, but it depends on how deep I get into the layout. Coaches with couplings are more attractive to buyers if I ever lose interest.

Phil O

Western Thunderer
Are the couplings fitted into nem pockets? If yes, you could fit screw links, after removing the tension locks, but kept safe incase they're required for making a sale.