LarryG's loco & coach WB (4mm/00)

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Are the couplings fitted into nem pockets? If yes, you could fit screw links, after removing the tension locks, but kept safe incase they're required for making a sale.
Most of the couplings are mounted on my brass top-plates that were etched for whitemetal bogie sideframes. They would be unscrewed of course, so the answer is yes, they could be removed and put back if the coaches are put up for sale. Having tension locks enabled me to test every coach on points and curves and the give me an idea of what gaps to aim for when or if I make fine wire replacements.

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Another coach! Another GWR Diagram, this time an E163 59ft 10ins X 8ft 11ins was the final design of corridor composite before the war. Sides and ends were from wizard models. I used one of my own floors shortened to suit and drilled for new bogie centres. Once again it is built around a scrap roof to prevent the sides from bowing in during construction...

WEB GWR E162 1.jpg

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Ha ha, nice one Dave. The intention was to work at the LH side of the WB but the desk lamp cannot be moved. However, continuity reigns by working at the RH end as I have always done. The new venetian blind allows me to direct daylight so it is concentrated onto the worktop. :thumbs:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
The scrapping of a C73 corridor third left a spare roof (many GWR all-third roofs were identical) and so I decided to add another Dia. C70 to the fleet along with some castings from Wizard Models. I am hoping the bogies have the finesse of Hornby's when assembled. Apart from that, the price of Bachmann's rather chunky rtr bogies now makes kit bogies a lot more attractive. This is a rainy day job ...
WEB GWR C70 7.jpg

LarryG

Western Thunderer
I can relax now after lots of chasing around on non-modelling business. The C70 corridor third is built and is almost ready for spraying. I wasn't impressed with the whitemetal 'Pressed Steel' bogies on a number of counts and so Bachmann's were fitted in the end....

WEB GWR C70 9.jpg

LarryG

Western Thunderer
After moving everything around in my workroom, I was walking round in circles looking for things in all the old places. Then when I sat down to detail the C70 coach, nothing was conveniently to hand and some things were out of reach unless I stood up. The old set-up had evolved over a period of 32 years, so it's all going back where it was in the morning. :)

simond

Western Thunderer
Ah, but if you do that, you’re missing the opportunity for improvement.

Of course 32 years of evolution has given you something that works well, but could it work better?

OTOH, not all pain is gain :)

LarryG

Western Thunderer
I have put my room back as it was. Back to modelling. All photo except the last were taken outdoors in overcast conditions.
Halfords etch primer.....
WEB GWR C70 10A.jpg

Halfords red oxide...
WEB GWR C70 10B.jpg
Steyer Rover Damask Red RD05. Black followed on the chassis and ends followed by my weathering colour. This last photo was taken in sunlight...
WEB GWR C70 10D.jpg

Last edited:

LarryG

Western Thunderer
1936 saw the introduction of the fan design on seats comprising fawn, orange and dark brown. Done quickly is adequate seeing as we just need a suggestion of the design through the compartment windows. I never go to town on interiors ...
WEB GWR C70 11.jpgWEB GWR C70 11B.jpg

Last edited:
1936 saw the introduction of the fan design on seats comprising fawn, orange and dark brown. Done quickly is adequate seeing as we just need a suggestion of the design through the compartment windows. I never go to town on interiors ...
View attachment 163619View attachment 163620
On the real things brown fan is a fairly bland, unattractive moquette. Thankfully it hides the dirt well and still holds its colour when it starts to fade. The green shell or blue/ red fruitbowl was far better in compartments.

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Bridgenorth01, thanks for the comment. The seats seen below are probably bleached with age....

WEB GWR seat 1.JPG

.....and so I gave my seats a blow-over with diluted cream cellulose to reduce the contrast...
WEB GWR C70 12A.jpg

The usual cream panels between compartments...
WEB GWR C70 12B.jpg

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Pretty well finished. I have a BR lined green loco which takes me into the livery change period, so seeing as I have two GWR Dia. C70 coaches, I decided this one would carry the 1956 livery. Note the door and grab handles are above the lining, so it is possible the GWR had not yet got around to constructing low-waist doors for its new sunshine designs..
WEB GWR C70 12C.jpg

LarryG

Western Thunderer
It seems that not a lot of people build coaches, which makes me wonder why the rtr companies don't produce more variety.

I built my first coach in 1962 using the then-new Plastikard, a Midland clipper-sided clerestory coach. No carriage transfers in those days. These pictures were scanned from the October 1966 Model Railway constructor...
WEB Plastikard 1.jpg

It wasn't until I moved from Lancashire to North Wales that I found time to write articles for the model press while living in a flat with no space for modelling...
WEB Plastikard 2.jpg

Nick C

Western Thunderer
which makes me wonder why the rtr companies don't produce more variety.
Cost, I believe - as I understand it, development & tooling costs for a coach aren't all that much less than for a loco, which sells for at least twice the price. Plus you can't usually make one coach, you've go to make several (brake third, compo, all third, etc) - which does help to spread some of the costs, but not all of it. That's why 'one off' coaches are often a lot more expensive (e.g. the Bachmann Autocoach), as there's only one type to amortise the development cost.