Louville Lane Cameo

Discussion in 'Entries' started by Alan, 6 June 2017.

1. John57sharp

John57sharp Western Thunderer

Yes really interesting build this, I like railways that are sunken into the buildings around them.

Cheers
    John

Alan likes this.
  2. Alan

Alan Western Thunderer

I think the short canopy is nigh on finished ,apart from some slight weathering, legs, struts or posts or whatever you like, now attached,.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Peter Cross

Peter Cross Western Thunderer

That fills the gap nicely.

4. Bullhead

Bullhead Western Thunderer

Looks great Alan. The shadows cast create a fantastic atmosphere.
    Best, Peter

5. Alan

Alan Western Thunderer

I haven't posted for the last couple of weeks, we've been away for a few days plus pondering about the fuel storage and a slight loss of mojo. The classic getting near the end and interest starts to wane. It has now picked up and work has started on the fuel storage area. When a bit more has been done I'll show some photos

6. Alan

Alan Western Thunderer

As promised some photos of the storage tank area. Nowhere near finished and nothing as yet stuck together. Photographs can be very cruel, the dinks in the tanks and the seams are hardly noticeable to the naked eye.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the problem is I have not yet found a decent photo of this sort of area of a depot. I have bought the new bookazines on diesel sheds and the Hornby one as well as a book on Early Diesel Sheds and still not seen a clear photo of upright or even sideways storage tanks. The things I think I have to do, please correct me if I'm wrong, is a ladder to the top of the tanks and a walkway across the top of them. Any info gratefully received.

jonte, Simpas and Peter Cross like this.
  7. Yorkshire Dave

Yorkshire Dave Western Thunderer

Came across this on t'interweb - Gateshead - later than the period you're modelling but it does show walkways on the top of the tanks and a bund wall at the bottom.

diesel gateshead.jpg

Simpas, jonte, Alan and 1 other person like this.
  8. Alan

Alan Western Thunderer

Many Thanks Dave, It would appear that most railway photographers are/were lococentic so shots of Depot infrastructure are few and far between unless like your photo the loco was in front of said infrastructure.

9. Geoff

Geoff Western Thunderer

I'll second that, superb modelling Alan.

10. Alan

Alan Western Thunderer

Thanks Geoff, rather different from your wonderful rural idyll.

11. Alan

Alan Western Thunderer

Finished the storage tanks I think, I just need to build a pump house between the tanker discharge site and the storage tanks. It will be roughly where the hut is in one of the photos.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Yorkshire Dave

...and a short ladder or steps to allow access over the bund wall.

13. Alan

Alan Western Thunderer

That's in hand Dave. I have an HO (American I think) bag of ladders and steps.

14. Alan

Alan Western Thunderer

I've added the steps so that the workers can get over the bund and also built a pump house, No sure whether the underground pipes from the discharge site should come up and go through the wall off the pump house and also the side that feeds the storage tanks. I'll have a think and perhaps someone has an idea as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. jonte

jonte Western Thunderer

Authentic looking brickwork, Alan.

Really looks the part.

Jonte

16. Yorkshire Dave

I would suspect the pipes run underground in a small location like yours. It's generally at larger oil terminals/depots where the pipes are above ground.

However, what would be a good effect is to have the concrete a different colour where the original hard standing has been dug up and replaced in order to install/repair/replace the underground pipes to the pump house. I'm sure an excuse can be cooked up.

Alan likes this.
  17. Alan

Alan Western Thunderer

Some time since posting. I've been cogitating on the backscene under the canopy and a possible new project when this is finished.

Anyway Here are the results.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also decided to add an a further roof over the rest of the station.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and whilst I had the camera out one of Western Enterprise just about to leave for its next duty.

[​IMG]

chrisb, Ian Smith, Simpas and 2 others like this.
  18. Alan

Alan Western Thunderer

I am now getting to the stage of putting the layout together. Ie putting buildings etc permanently in place and starting to add the details, in this case pavements around the works, hotel and staff car park and the cobbles around the back of the Old Station pub.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the pavements have been weathered but the road and the car park need some work

[​IMG]

Classic only when resizing the photos did I notice the fencing was displaced. The cobbles also need weathering.

19. Alan

Alan Western Thunderer

A bit more work on the Old Station Hotel

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and one of Western Enterprise getting ready for her repaint by the looks of it.

[​IMG]

jonte and Peter Cross like this.
  20. Alan

Alan Western Thunderer

More work on the layout and I feel as if I'm getting close.

1st: the weathered bits of road,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've also altered the fuel discharge area, add a concrete surround and extended the pipes into the pump house and out again and only going underground at the bund.
    I also got round to start weathering the two black oil tankers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So I ran a sequence of the oil train arriving behind D6311

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And finally took a photo of Western Sovereign

[​IMG]
    Attached Thumbnails
    • [​IMG]

Simpas, PaulR, Len Cattley and 6 others like this.