LSWR G6 0-6-0 tank engine

Mikemill

Western Thunderer
To anneal brass sheet, stand the sheet vertical against a fire brick. Heat the sheet with a torch by moving left to right from the bottom until it is dark red, work your way up the sheet until all the sheet has been heated, leave to cool DO NOT QUENCH as this will distort the sheet. If it is a small piece of brass I often use the gas hob in the kitchen, hold the sheet with a pair of pliers.

If you need to make several bends in the sheet you may need to anneal again as brass work hardens.

Mike

Jon Nazareth

Western Thunderer
Does anyone if the floor in the cab of this loco would have been made up of wooden planks? I’ve looked in the books that I have and can’t see one way or the other.

Jon

NickB

Western Thunderer
Jon,

I can't find a photo showing a cab floor, someone here may have one. In its absence, it's fairly safe to assume it was wooden planks. The G6 drawing suggests that without being explicit about it, and it was very common in many classes and companies. Alternatively, you could pop up to the Bluebell and inspect the preserved 415 class or to the IOW and the preserved O2. Same company, same period, same CME, so almost certainly reads across to the G6. Actually, in your position I'd do that anyway and take a lot of photos of the cab interior (not just the floor).

Nick

Jon Nazareth

Western Thunderer
The above is just a test to see if I could post photos from my iPad. It seems to work.

I think that my sister took the picture of this hummingbird moth.

Jon