7mm Mickoo's Commercial Workbench

OzzyO

Western Thunderer
Nice looking build Mick, I used the resin boilers on all of my builds cuts down a bit of time, but after seeing your build with the fit of the brass one I don't think that there would be a lot in it.

ATB

OzzyO.

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Nice looking build Mick, I used the resin boilers on all of my builds cuts down a bit of time, but after seeing your build with the fit of the brass one I don't think that there would be a lot in it.

ATB

OzzyO.
Appreciated :thumbs:

I've seen a few of these JLTRT resin boilers.... and I do get the principle of the concept....but the surface finish is hard to work with, for me anyway; the additional lack of internal cavities is another personal draw back.

To be fair and even handed (crude balancing of my negativity toward the over etched nickel silver etched and some shocking castings) the upper brass work is very accurate and cleverly thought out, the boiler, smokebox and fire box need a waft to remove the cusp, rolled or bent to match the formers and soldered up. The parts were so accurate that the whole assembly took just under an hour from cutting out the etches to bolting the finished assembly to the footplate.

Actually I'm probably being over generous as I did quite a bit of back and forth checking having never built from this range before so the real time would be much less.

This is exactly what kits should be like and a very big plus for this build.

dibateg

Western Thunderer
Nice work Mick, I wonder if it was a Mitchell design?

The JLTRT boilers are fine if you don't want to change anything.... then it gets tricky. We usually modify our builds, so probably not for us...

Regards
Tony

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Interesting, I'd not seen those before and he's had to make the same tweaks I did to get some bits to fit, I thought it was just me and something I'd done, but it looks like it's inherent in the kit/etches.

Also noticed he's plated over the fire iron tunnel like the modified Halls, took nearly two days of web surfing of scrapped and late BR engines to find proof it was so and not a preservation thing added later.

Last edited:

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Very nearly there now, I had hoped to start this update with my customary 'The fat lady has sung again' but it's not to be, mind the end is not far off now, hopefully tomorrow, certainly Weds.

Left to do, large ejector and handrail, mechanical lubricator...the kit casting is quite poor so a 3D replacement I think will be quicker and better looking....some oil pots and cab handrail should bring it all to a close.

Yes the tender steps are/were bent.....now straightened!

IMG_12394.jpg

IMG_12395.jpg

.......I can see this one along with another king on train 131 the relief to the Cornish Riviera, the only scheduled train to regularly feature double headed kings over the south Devon banks!
Hi Steve, can I slightly correct you from personal spotting experience at Newton Abbot in the early sixties.

I regularly sat on the grass bank between the main road and the loading dock alongside the up relief line scribbling down names and numbers and I only saw that combination once. I was so excited that, while the pilot engine King was coupling up, I ran from my place towards the old bow spring bridge that took the road to Torquay across the line, crossed the road and scampered down the embankment on the other side of the bridge to watch from line side level as the two Kings blasted out of the station. That occasion is still etched in my memory from over sixty years ago!

I also recall that R J Blenkinsop, 'Big Four Cameraman', photographed such a train, I think on Rattery Bank, as well but it was more of an exception rather than the rule so even more exciting when it did happen!

Last edited:
Brilliant! Thanks for coming up trumps.

Well, it could be by any of a number of photographers, D S Fish, Peter Gray, who were both local, R C Riley and, of course, Blenkinsop come to mind. There is that long gone bow spring bridge and the cameraman was just where I saw the train. I'm also interested that neither engine has the head board but the coaches seem to indicate it was the down 'Riviera'.

The photo was taken in September 1957, which counts me out as I was only eight then! The locos seem to have differing positions for the mechanical lubricators with the boilers not appearing to be the final versions that had a square cover patch high up between the top feed pipe and the firebox front on the side shown. Finally, 6017 seems to have had its tender topped up so I'm not sure that was the working of the Riviera and its relief. Any ideas?

Last edited:

mickoo

Western Thunderer
As far as I can ascertain, the lubricator position moved with the advent of the double chimney, single chimney was behind the steam pipe, double and it moved forward.

Both appear to have large super heater covers, though the pilot looks larger and both have different tender emblems.

Compton castle

Western Thunderer
The Cornish Riviera went over to diesel haulage in 1958 so to see kings double heading after that period was rare indeed, in the mid 50’s it was a scheduled event with the lead loco coming off train 130 to pilot the relief train 131. There are a few pictures that exist of this combination, a few still have the lead king carrying the headboard which does add to the confusion.
The kings are like the castles a minefield of small detail variations, Once they started to receive the newer WB boiler and mechanical lubricators the steam pipes changed aswell. I’m sure I have at least one picture of a double chimney ( but the earlier fabricated version ) with the mechanical lubricator in the original position behind the steam pipe but all then had it placed ahead to ease on maintenance unlike the castles where it could be either location. The kings did keep the taper buffers up until around 59/60 when they all received parallel buffers for their last two to three years service.
This page is very good for detail differences David Heys steam diesel photo collection - 24 - BR WESTERN REGION - 4
Here is king John as this loco will become seen in 1957, apologies I don’t have the image copyright details to hand as I found this back last year whilst helping the client find some pics of the loco in the time period he wanted it, I’ve included it for illustration purposes. C5A21EF1-B3BA-47E9-8C72-2C43B8911F67.png
Interesting little note, she has two different inside cylinder covers the original and later, this is the only picture I’ve seen of it like this so I can only assume it was a short term anomaly.

Last edited:

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Very timely indeed and added to an in box of corroborating pictorial information means I now have most of the information needed.

I also found a photo on the web last night in May 58 with single chimney, larger cover and lubricator ahead....which is not the norm it would appear, most appear to have the lubricator behind with a single chimney; but, there does appear to be a pattern of a cross over period for a year or two where it can be in either position.

The images also show I'm missing some lubricator and pipework fittings from the kit, looking at the photos of castings in the kit instructions they appear to never have been supplied.

Engine records show new boiler fitted Oct 56 and double chimney Mar 58 and the revised front end BR style middle cylinder cover appeared in 56, probably the same time it had the HG at Swindon in Mar.

Apologies for continuing slightly off what is a build thread but, Steve, is that shot of King John at Newton as well? If I am correct, the awnings look right and the train is an up express with the photographer stood on platform 9 (trains for the Moretonhampstead line) which was completely separate from the rest of the station.

Any thoughts about that coal load in 6017's tender?

mickoo

Western Thunderer
I'd go with a missing cover too, earlier engines had a bullet type cover over the spindle and the photo shows the stuffing gland clearly so looks like no cover at all.

The site Steve linked to earlier also confirms missing cover in 57 in the notes.

Last edited:

AJC

Western Thunderer
Well, someone had to say it :).

Wasn't King John's problem the rebel northern and eastern land barons (apart from losing Normandy, the lack of money and many more).

John’s problem was, fundamentally, being King John. It’s entirely appropriate (a bit of trivia) that his reign was the only one in English royal history dated from a movable feast and so all his regnal years are different lengths. This has nothing to do with Swindon’s monsters, I’m afraid, but does occasionally make my head hurt…

Adam

Last edited:

Compton castle

Western Thunderer
Apologies for continuing slightly off what is a build thread but, Steve, is that shot of King John at Newton as well? If I am correct, the awnings look right and the train is an up express with the photographer stood on platform 9 (trains for the Moretonhampstead line) which was completely separate from the rest of the station.

Any thoughts about that coal load in 6017's tender?
It is indeed taken at Newton Abbot, I’d have to have a look where 6017 was shedded at that time, she may have had some intermediate work done at NA works and is returning to Laira. Like you say the coal load looks pretty high to have already worked in from London, she may have been on shed for a quick top up.
It’s a very interesting combination and one I’ll recreate on My layout St Stephens bank when this King has returned from the paint shop.

mickoo

Western Thunderer
It's finally done, not much to show from the previous update , mostly nick nacks and details.

Up next a kit I've already had experience with, a MOK King Arthur though this time with a Maunsel cab. The 4F will trundle along as well and two LNWR tanks will drop in the mix as and when.

IMG_12402.jpg

IMG_12403.jpg

IMG_12405.jpg