7mm Mickoo's Commercial Workbench

Arun Sharma

Western Thunderer
I still prefer the original air smoothed variety but do like the more brutish looks of the rebuilts.
I probably agree with you but as a Londoner I would obviously want a model of Sir Keith Park who was pretty undeniably the saviour of London - and a lot more besides. I do have a Finney kit of Winston Churchill that I must get around to building some day.....

SimonT

Western Thunderer
Saviours? Try Keith Park and Bertie Ramsay. Two Seniors who deserve more credit for their oustanding conduct of their vrious battles. Prak for the Battles of Britain and Malta and Ramsay for Dunkirk and Neptune. Forget the publicity hunting Montgomery. His victories used other peoples plans. Alexander would have been a far better choice for Overlord.

mickoo

Western Thunderer
And then there were two, like the Garratt, these two seem to have grown very comfortable on my work bench and taken root, but not for long, very shortly they will be away with their new owner.

I'm just waiting for the paint to harden on the second backhead before adding the final pipe work and installation, but essentially it's all but ready to go.

In hindsight I failed to calculate just how much time these would take, and how much time the original Finney7 casing saves.

Once the third (Spitfire) is back from paint and finished I'm currently thinking of closing the project for future builds. Nice as they are, they're just a huge workload.

IMG_5876.jpg

IMG_5877.jpg

IMG_5881.jpg

IMG_5882.jpg

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
And then there were two, like the Garratt, these two seem to have grown very comfortable on my work bench and taken root, but not for long, very shortly they will be away with their new owner.

I'm just waiting for the paint to harden on the second backhead before adding the final pipe work and installation, but essentially it's all but ready to go.

In hindsight I failed to calculate just how much time these would take, and how much time the original Finney7 casing saves.

Once the third (Spitfire) is back from paint and finished I'm currently thinking of closing the project for future builds. Nice as they are, they're just a huge workload.

View attachment 217517

View attachment 217518

View attachment 217519

View attachment 217520

Absolute beauties. You need a photo of 34066 with them...

Genghis

Western Thunderer

A few years ago I did a commission build of one of these. Probably the best kit I have built but I seriously underestimated the amount of work involved. It took me about 4 times longer than I estimated, which for a fixed price quote was a disaster. I still remember counting 71 individual parts on the tender front plate alone..............(perhaps adding the individual hinge pins was a step too far).

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Absolute beauties. You need a photo of 34066 with them...
Afraid that won't happen, these will be long gone before Spitfire comes back from paint. I think Spitfire is going to be a good one to close the project with once Neil finishes his weathering.

I know of three others being built elsewhere so it'll be interesting to see how they get along.

mickoo

Western Thunderer
A few years ago I did a commission build of one of these. Probably the best kit I have built but I seriously underestimated the amount of work involved. It took me about 4 times longer than I estimated, which for a fixed price quote was a disaster. I still remember counting 71 individual parts on the tender front plate alone..............(perhaps adding the individual hinge pins was a step too far).
I've built a couple before and they are fiddly and time consuming, the real problem here was the metal casing, it can't all be assembled for paint, you need to paint sub parts and then add them after the rest is done, that means some very careful work on a painted and half assembled body.

At the end of the day that's the problem when you're prototyping something new, you can only give a best estimate and to be fair this one was quite loose, but there comes a point where fair play comes into force and you have to concede your initial estimate was shy and take the hit on the chin.

Fortunately there was a healthy uptake on the upgrade packs which helped the overall situation and everyone got product value.

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Just about ready to call this one done, hopefully the washout covers and sanding levers will come in the post next week but that won't stop the strip down ready for paint.

I'll add the drain cock pipes, injector drain pipes and leading sanding pipe after paint, they're all too fragile and exposed when the model is stripped down.

As seems to be the norm, I found something missing when taking the photos, in this case the small 2 port oil pot on the front of the inside cylinder casing.

I've sacked the cleaning elves, they were just not keeping up with the revised schedules :))

Whats next? Well another JLTRT Castle.....

IMG_5891.jpg

IMG_5892.jpg

IMG_5893.jpg

IMG_5894.jpg

Last edited: