7mm Mickoo's Commercial Workbench

simond

Western Thunderer
I remember being puzzled, entertained and confounded in equal measure by my JLTRT King.

I remember thinking “it must be me”, as other people can build them.

I went the other way, made a demountable under-bridge that carried the inside slide bars and bogie pivot.

Got there in the end, but I think your approach is better. Not going back to change it!

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
I remember being puzzled, entertained and confounded in equal measure by my JLTRT King.

I remember thinking “it must be me”, as other people can build them.

I went the other way, made a demountable under-bridge that carried the inside slide bars and bogie pivot.

Got there in the end, but I think your approach is better. Not going back to change it!

I have had numerous "it must be me" moments when dealing with loco kits. I generally put it down to my own poor abilities. In a perverse sort of way it's been reassuring that you've had quite a few head scratching moments with the darling 1366... There's definitely skill though in you you and Mick and others solve the issues.

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Picked the weathered Jubilee up from Warren last week, DCC, coal and test run, it needs a little more weight so that'll go in and then ready for hand over.

Of all the builds I've done, these are the only two I covet, the Scot is back for cinder screen glazing which I forgot to fit last time.

IMG_5730.jpg

IMG_5733.jpg

IMG_5737.jpg

Stirling O

Picked the weathered Jubilee up from Warren last week, DCC, coal and test run, it needs a little more weight so that'll go in and then ready for hand over.

Of all the builds I've done, these are the only two I covet, the Scot is back for cinder screen glazing which I forgot to fit last time.

View attachment 216002

View attachment 216003

View attachment 216004
Exquisite models and a credit to all those involved in their construction , painting and finishing.

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Back to the JLTRT Castle, nearly there now on the chassis, just need to make the wiggle waggle bits wiggle, add the brake slack adjuster tie rods and return pull rod, plate up the cylinders and sort the bogie pivot.

The leading sand boxes I'm pondering, the 4' radius curve and side play is making their fitting problematical, possibly make then in 3D in case the rims touch and short.

IMG_5738.jpg

IMG_5739.jpg

IMG_5741.jpg

IMG_5746.jpg

IMG_5742.jpg

IMG_5745.jpg

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Alan Harris was one of my very early customers back in the early 1970's. Then he turned his hand to accurately sculpturing 0 gauge loco wheels, and never looked back. His wheels were a real game changer.

Re. 4079, I drove over to Carnforth and took photos from the footplate seeing as it was shortly heading off to a new home in Aussie.

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Someone asked off grid to explain how the revised bogie pivot and side control worked, it's quite wordy so skip to the pictures if you wish.

The kit is designed with the bogie pivot behind the bogie and under the leading brake shaft, it works fine for r6' + curves but anything tighter and we need to reconsider options. The only downside to the pivot being this far back is that the bogie has an arched lateral path and thus runs the risk of shorting against the leading brake shaft support, it also restricts any rotation movement of the bogie as well, but it's simple and it works.

2.JPEG

I personally prefer a pure linear lateral movement and so you need the pivot in the centre of the bogie and by good fortune/forward planning the bogie stretcher has a perfect oblong slot we can use, much bigger than normal but we can work with that, very well as it happens.

Having lost the rear pivot point between the frames you now need to add the chassis bogie stay, note it's cranked downward to clear the inside slide bars and cross heads....like the real engine. Attached to the underside I fitted a brass tube pivot point which is a snug fit in the slot and above a 6BA securing nut. The bogie is a lovely light weight etched affair, so our side control needs to be minimalist and I just added two long prongs of spring wire to the rear of the bogie. This is our side control but I also added two prongs in front and these are our rotational control stops.

1.JPEG

In the centre of the brass tube is the down force spring, a washer is placed on top and then the bogie fitted, finally a screw with corresponding large washer is fitted and the job is complete.

3.jpeg

4.jpeg

The end result is a linear lateral movement with side control and a rotational aspect permitted as well. The two prongs up front have a straightening moment on the bogie, which keeps the rear bogie wheel from getting too close to the leading brake shaft support, it also limits the far side from hitting the inside of the outside cylinder block.

5.JPEG

6.JPEG

Currently the rotational stops are a bit tight and the inside leading wheel is just lifting; I need to open the prongs out a mm or so and add a bit more down force.

It's a lot of work but it's near invisible and does reduce the amount of front overhang so there's a big plus for visuals as well. It'll also allow me to now add the inside cylinder block which sits down inside the leading bogie wheel.

Last edited:

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Mick,

A good explanation in best "words and music" fashion, Peter has been constructing a JLTRT Star and the underpinnings are very similar to the Castle... although Peter's model has a SDK and that is not quite so in the area of the front spring hangers / brake cross shaft support.

rgds, Graham