7mm Mid-Century mineral

Overseer

Western Thunderer
Thanks Paul. The online copy of the photograph has better contrast than the book version which helps with working out how the colours might have looked. Not sure if it just my copy but the photos in Acquired Wagons of British Railways Vol 3 are a bit soft, as in the blacks are not as black as I like them to be.

Some more paint applied, dirty black, gloss black patches and a dirty black wash so far.
nc02.jpg
nc01.jpg

Overseer

Western Thunderer
The diagram 1973/1974 wagon is ready for paint.

d1973c7.jpg
d1973c6.jpg
d1973c5.jpg
d1973c1.jpg

d1973c4.jpg

I don't think I explained why I wanted to build one of these wagons. J I C Boyd photographed a pair of them in a coke train heading for the Altrincham gasworks in 1951 so I needed one or two, and they are interesting with the added ironwork.
d1973Boyd.jpg

Overseer

Western Thunderer
Lovely wagon, and lovely loco in the prototype photo. Did @AJC building something like this a while back?
I have a very unlovely etched kit, fortunately with lovely brass castings, to build the Sentinel. It will end up mostly scratchbuilt.

Not sure that lovely is the word I would have thought of for the wagon as it is a bit of a brute, like the prototype, but thank you.

Overseer

Western Thunderer
The mention of the Altrincham gas works rang a bell with me because I have a postcard of a suitable wagon.
Apologies if I have posted this before. View attachment 209712
Thanks Michael. I have another copy of that image which you must have posted some years ago. I am planning a model in the near future even though it is too early for my modelling period for the Altrincham gasworks line. I am not sure how it was used as it seems to be somewhat uncommon for gasworks to own tank wagons.

Overseer

Western Thunderer
No more shiny brass. Now just another nondescript mineral wagon. The aim was a wagon still in LMS bauxite but with the LMS lettering overpainted and BR lettering applied by an ex LMS sign writer in LMS style to look something like the prototype photo above. I will take some better photos with better lighting.

d1973 IMG_1158.jpg
d1973 IMG_1161.jpg
d1973 IMG_1163.jpg

I like the wagon, even if it is missing a few rivets. It was quite a simple build with a couple of interesting profiles to make along the way.