Mike G's Workspace.

Mike Garwood

Western Thunderer
Just to rub salt into an open wound, I have contracted the new Covid variant. After we had a significant family birthday party, everyone from my side contracted this, my son, daughter, respective partners and children! I avoided it, until my dear wife decided to share! I'm especially peeved as I was due a visit to Barrow Road today. To put the County through some much needed intensive running and also to make sure that the completed A44 coach now gets round the curves.
I have actually done something about those awful Comet side frames. I've bought a hand full of the MJT 9ft side frames and then designed the steps in CAD to fit them - MJT do, do a step to for these but with only one supporting leg, they had two. It means a bit of fiddly work (when doesn't it?) but the result will be 100% better than the current frames. The reason I've bought so many MJT bits is because I'll have to retro fit these to my existing stock of coaches.

So for 3/4 days I've felt like doing nothing, I had planned to deal with the 52xx short comings on the slide bars and crossheads. But, as the 51xx is still not completed - testing and analysis is STILL ongoing - I thought I'd build a wagon or 2.

Another Rumney models production, the same kit as in post 467. Having made a fair bit of an in road on this today, I have to admit being even more impressed with the design. This is probably the easiest and quickest of Justins' designs to put together or is it that I'm familiar with the chassis already?

This is where I'm at:

14t Oil tank chassis2.jpg

I love how this looks. Just like welded truss work.

14t Oil tank chassis.jpg

The donor body is Bachmann and as usual there's a fair bit of underframe carving that will be needed to get it to fit. As you can see. But isn't it great when you pull a kit out of storage and all the fiddly bits fit without a struggle. This is the second oil tanker destined for Hengoed.

Stay safe - it's still out there and doing very nicely!

Mike

Dave Holt

Western Thunderer
Mike.

Sorry to hear about your new Covid infection and the consequent inability to visit Barrow Road for running in purposes. Most frustrating I'm sure.
Looks like good progress with the new tank wagon, though, so some compensation.
Dave.