MOK Rebuilt Merchant Navy Kit Announcement

chigley

Western Thunderer
Dave said he was going to speak to his supplier but doesn't know when, hoping to do invoicing today or tomorrow

Ken

Paul Tomlinson

Western Thunderer
Hi,

25 of the 50 have now been ordered/reserved/sold.

Paul,

John Walker and Rob Wigley ??

Ian, Hello. I had a dig through my old S7G Newsletters, and found the article I remembered - the "John" who sent in the images could well be the gentleman you mentioned. An interesting concept, nice to see the rear of the wheel correctly modelled. I'm extremely grateful to Slaters (and have bought a set of driving wheels from them in the last fortnight), but IMO a kit of this quality deserves a premium set of wheels. Perhaps something like the Korean ones previously manufactured for the 9F?

I wish Dave Sharp every success, and hope he receives the orders to make the effort worthwhile.

IMG_1651.jpeg

Edit : Since posting this I've come across further news from John Walker on this topic, which might be interesting to someone :

Last edited:

Richard Gawler

Western Thunderer
I need to decide on the tender for my model within the next six weeks or so. I wonder, does anyone who has built an earlier kit know whether any one of the three batches of prototypes has an edge over the others? I am thinking of needing fewer modifications or new parts provided by the builder. I have no bias towards choosing a particular prototype, except I'd like to do one of the locos lost and not preserved.

Dave Holt

Western Thunderer
If you don't have a particular loco in mind, I would think the choice of tender type is a matter of personal preference based on appearance. That said, the first batch (5000 gallon) might be easier to build as the side plates of the coal bunker are flat and the tender roof joins at right angles, whereas the later tender sides curve in along the top edge and some are faired in to the roof with a curve.
Dave.

Tim Watson

Western Thunderer
That’s interesting, as I would also do 35004 (we are travelling on QM2 next summer for a very round birthday). I think I prefer the look of the 5100 gal. tender, which is what she had immediately prior to scrapping. That would require quite a rebuild of the tank, unless Dave can be persuaded to produce yet another version…

Tim

Scanlon

Western Thunderer
Dave,
You are oh so correct. Here are my 3 MN's all with different tenders.
MN2 240224.jpg
Two are MOK, 35008 in pre 1964 condition with a 5000 gallon tender. 35022 with a 6000 gallon tender and finally a David Andrews 35014 Nederland Line with a 5100 gallon tender. Subtle differences on roof styles too.
MN4 240224.jpg
I work from photos all the time.

Personally I dislike the rebuilt tenders, too box like in my opinion.

Currently building 35010!

Roger

Dave Holt

Western Thunderer
Roger.

A wonderful collection of lovely looking models and yet another in progress.:D
Mind you, you can't have too many rebuilt Bulleids.;)
Interestingly, I am planning to do 35010 from the new MOK kit I've ordered.

Dave.

Richard Gawler

Western Thunderer
Thinking this through only after deciding on the 5000 gallon tender, the vertical sides at the top would allow for a detachable coal load. Maybe arrange for a lift-out battery pack underneath, accessible without dismantling the model.