Monks Ferry: a layout for the Grandchildren.

A start is made.
  • jonte

Western Thunderer
    The arrival of my first section of track heralds the start of the project:

IMG_0194.jpeg

Planning can begin.

Meanwhile, the glue-ing on of lamps to brackets to signal posts, continues in earnest before I face the task of re-routing several below board wires to accommodate, which no doubt will require use of the soldering iron and shrink wrap (if I can find it).

jonte

Warts ‘n’ all.
  • jonte

Western Thunderer
    Work on the towers continues, but I’ve reached the point where I’ve run out of materials (I’m surprised at the sheer quantity of materials they’re consuming….)
    Thus, a sojourn over the border into W. Lancs. will be required later today to restock. With Hattons gone and my local model shop seemingly running down stocks to concentrate on the sale of drones and RC models, treks of this nature will become more frequent. At the moment, costs of postage are mounting - a necessary evil I suppose - but if I need materials urgently, I’ve no choice but to travel. There’s a Widnes Models a short drive from Hattons- and well stocked too - but the website is none too specific, and I know from Hobbies’ site that they have what I need in stock. Never mind, I’ll go during my granddaughter’s afternoon nap so I won’t be missed.

With mention of towers (tower), all three sides have been fitted with their decorative features; the rear is just dressed as per the rest of the building as it will be almost hidden. I’ve started work on the plinths - with more on the bench being made ready - although the dearth of suitable materials has resulted in the sides remaining bare and unsightly:

IMG_2250.jpegIMG_2251.jpegIMG_2252.jpeg

Rather than waste valuable time at the ‘bench’, I turned my attention to the base to ensure the build stood up straight on its own, as it’s getting a little too difficult to hold as the build progresses, scrap styrene utilised for the purpose:

IMG_2249.jpeg

Finally, here’s a picture as promised of my attempt at the effects of acid rain:

IMG_2248.jpeg

As I wrote previously, it’s only a token attempt at this form of weathering/erosion, but a full blown replication of the process would just take too long to do it justice. I’ll still do a tad more before priming but that will be it. Incidentally, the ‘attacked’ freeze goes around the towers too just below the pelmet, with the amount of erosion being less severe in places as per the real thing.
    Also seen are some minor additions such as the inclusion of half round to the top of the lower freeze, and lintels to the upper storey niches, once more from watercolour paper.

Cheers for now.

jonte