Monks Ferry: a layout for the Grandchildren.

John57sharp

Western Thunderer
And while we’re at it, FootEx, RailEx etc for excursion and in one of my other lives SpX = SpaceX

Jonte I get what you mean about Hattons, although they are at least going down gracefully with no loses. I’m currently shaking the piggy bank and looking under the sofa to see if I can muster enough to take any advantage!

cheers (coffee time again!)

John

jonte

Western Thunderer
And while we’re at it, FootEx, RailEx etc for excursion and in one of my other lives SpX = SpaceX

Jonte I get what you mean about Hattons, although they are at least going down gracefully with no loses. I’m currently shaking the piggy bank and looking under the sofa to see if I can muster enough to take any advantage!

cheers (coffee time again!)

John
It’s a shame indeed and it was a surprise, John.

I received an ad from them only a couple of days ago alerting me to bargain prices on the single sections of track, however, I’ve not had an opportunity to lay out the pieces I have yet, so it’s all a bit up in the air at present.

Add to that I’m thinking of increasing the radii on the plan above to a minimum radius of ‘second’, meaning that I’m going to have to form a ‘fifth’ radius at one end (I recall longer wheel based locos derailing on points after negotiating first radii curves).

Their website is unusually slow at present, John, suggesting that there’s great interest, so I’d be quick about wrestling the piggy bank to avoid disappointment , as the saying goes :(

Thanks for your interest as usual, John, and I look forward to you flying with us again soon ;)

Jon

P.S. In all seriousness, John, I was seriously (seriously) considering applying for an ab initio scheme BA was running a few years back. Reckon it would have been a hoot :thumbs:

jonte

Western Thunderer
In between a multitude of distractions, I’ve managed squeeze in a little more modelling.

Further detailing of the first storey has continued:

IMG_2211.jpeg

Some tidying required and additional small details to add to the coving and windows which shouldn’t take too long.

Unfortunately, the further the build progresses, the heavier and more unwieldy the model becomes, making finer detailing harder to execute. Consequently, one or two errors are creeping in; most rectifiable, but one or two (like using thicker card than the thinner I should have below the upper coving (right) for instance, which is too late to change but darned annoying…) I’ll just have to live with. To be fair, my focus is elsewhere at present, and there may even have to be a short hiatus :(

The back and sides:

IMG_2214.jpegIMG_2213.jpegIMG_2212.jpeg

Apologies for the, aherm, busy desk.

A start has been made on the towers, the bases to be precise, which have just been placed in situ to demonstrate:

IMG_2215.jpeg

And a reminder of what it’s supposed to look like:

IMG_2042.jpeg

Photo courtesy of the R.W. Collection.

There’s still some detailing to complete to the freezes of both storeys, the lower of which should have been finished by now. However, when my order arrived, the retailer had sent channel by mistake instead of half round. Now there’s the rigmarole of returning it, and consequently I’ve had to order from elsewhere as they’ve since sold out. Heigh Ho.

That’s it for now.

Thanks for looking.

jonte

Lyndhurstman

Western Thunderer
My day job (supporting data coming from ESA remote sensing satellite missions) is very very acronym heavy. I’m currently Technical Manager for the LSTM Level 2 product development, and we use ANX to represent Ascending Node Crossing - the point at which the satellite orbit crosses the Equator. I presume it’s not ANC because that represents Ancillary data (as opposed to Auxiliary data, which is ADF…)

Nonsense over…

Cheers

Jan

jonte

Western Thunderer
My day job (supporting data coming from ESA remote sensing satellite missions) is very very acronym heavy. I’m currently Technical Manager for the LSTM Level 2 product development, and we use ANX to represent Ascending Node Crossing - the point at which the satellite orbit crosses the Equator. I presume it’s not ANC because that represents Ancillary data (as opposed to Auxiliary data, which is ADF…)

Nonsense over…

Cheers

Jan

I’m sitting here, Jan, reading the (respectfully ;)) technical jargon what you’ve just wrote, and trying to convince myself that I understand every word of it………….

Wonderful stuff, of course, and where would we be without it, and as a bit of spaceman myself, I should really understand it :confused:

Indeed, here’s one of me taken during my brief career as an astronaut:

IMG_2216.jpeg

So as you can see, Jan, all that technical wizardry stuff is wasted in this thread, but I do admire you guys that gets it.

Thx for sharing.

Over, under, roger’n’out!

Jon

jonte

Western Thunderer
One of the pair of towers under construction:

IMG_2245.jpegIMG_2246.jpeg

As per the rest of the build, much use has been made of various thicknesses of plasticard, styrene section and parts from L-Cut Creative, to hasten proceedings. The balustrades are from Scale Model Scenery. I devised a way to lock them into the construct whilst ensuring they protrude an appropriate distance from the wall.

Unlike the prototype, there will only be three arches in each tower to save time, and to the same end, I’ve opted to ditch the window frames of the prototype in preference of a niche to match the rest of my version.

The corners as shown can be ignored as they will be addressed in the next visit to the bench.

In addition, I’ve used the freeze of the main building to exhibit the adverse effects of acid rain on limestone, with which many inner city buildings at this time of portrayal were afflicted. Once again, it’s only a gentle nod in the direction of this type of erosion: covings would also have succumbed, but do it justice and make it look natural and random would no doubt see the build stall, and I need to maintain the pace.

I’ll try and show a picture next time I update the thread.

Thanks for looking.

jonte

John57sharp

Western Thunderer
Looks great that Jon. I admire your ability to mix and match the available bits to create something else.

As it happens my modelling has slowed slightly more as I have recently become a part time space writer at NASASpaceflight.com so acronyms rule ok!

John

jonte

Western Thunderer
Looks great that Jon. I admire your ability to mix and match the available bits to create something else.

As it happens my modelling has slowed slightly more as I have recently become a part time space writer at NASASpaceflight.com so acronyms rule ok!

John
I feel a little bit like I’m cheating in some way using ready made bits, John, but it really does speed up the process, and as I’ve set myself a time limit of just two years to get it presentable, they’re a great aid :thumbs:

Sorry to hear your own modelling time has hastened somewhat, but that’s really commendable stuff you’re doing. Top drawer!

Btw, tell NASA I send my love ;)

Jon

Lyndhurstman

Western Thunderer

John
Hello John
Congratulations. You can't get anywhere in this industry without acronyms. When I was PM'ing the development of the Sentinel Online site (2012 - 2016) for ESA (Explore Copernicus satellite missions - Sentinel Online) - it's recently been updated to make it more modern - the acronym list I constructed ran to 9 A4 pages !
https://sentinel.esa.int/documents/247904/383991/SUHET_ACRONYMS.pdf
:confused:

Cheers

Jan

Roger Pound

Western Thunderer
Warts ‘n’ all.

jonte

Western Thunderer
Work on the towers continues, but I’ve reached the point where I’ve run out of materials (I’m surprised at the sheer quantity of materials they’re consuming….)
Thus, a sojourn over the border into W. Lancs. will be required later today to restock. With Hattons gone and my local model shop seemingly running down stocks to concentrate on the sale of drones and RC models, treks of this nature will become more frequent. At the moment, costs of postage are mounting - a necessary evil I suppose - but if I need materials urgently, I’ve no choice but to travel. There’s a Widnes Models a short drive from Hattons- and well stocked too - but the website is none too specific, and I know from Hobbies’ site that they have what I need in stock. Never mind, I’ll go during my granddaughter’s afternoon nap so I won’t be missed.

With mention of towers (tower), all three sides have been fitted with their decorative features; the rear is just dressed as per the rest of the building as it will be almost hidden. I’ve started work on the plinths - with more on the bench being made ready - although the dearth of suitable materials has resulted in the sides remaining bare and unsightly:

IMG_2250.jpegIMG_2251.jpegIMG_2252.jpeg

Rather than waste valuable time at the ‘bench’, I turned my attention to the base to ensure the build stood up straight on its own, as it’s getting a little too difficult to hold as the build progresses, scrap styrene utilised for the purpose:

IMG_2249.jpeg

Finally, here’s a picture as promised of my attempt at the effects of acid rain:

IMG_2248.jpeg

As I wrote previously, it’s only a token attempt at this form of weathering/erosion, but a full blown replication of the process would just take too long to do it justice. I’ll still do a tad more before priming but that will be it. Incidentally, the ‘attacked’ freeze goes around the towers too just below the pelmet, with the amount of erosion being less severe in places as per the real thing.
Also seen are some minor additions such as the inclusion of half round to the top of the lower freeze, and lintels to the upper storey niches, once more from watercolour paper.

Cheers for now.

jonte