Not The Hill in Wales

Osgood

Western Thunderer
View attachment 30795

4294 running through Aber on the way to Ebbw. It is weathered to catch the neglect in the last days of steam in South Wales. ……….. Should the bonnet be brass or black?
….

I don't know, but I've yet to see a more convincing example of end-of-stem-era weathering, and the filthy dome looks superb - it would be a great loss to paint it dirty black!

I will be using these three photos as my (probably unattainable!) benchmark for weathering.

SimonT

Western Thunderer
Tony,
thank you for your kind comments. The dome shall stay as it is. The weathering is initially acrylics and an experiment in oils and then finally artists chalks dusted on and held by a pigment fixative available from MIG. It is available from Hobby Holidays, as are a range of weathering powders.

Cliff,
some video is on the list of things to do. Presently busy building new boards for the home version of the layout and putting wireless control on to the layout.

Simon

SimonT

Western Thunderer
Phil,
I am in the process of setting things up. I use Lenz DCC and don't particularly want to spend lots of money replacing it. So the plan is to fit a 23151 LAN and USB Computer Interface. This will plug into the controller/amplifier and will also connect to a router, in this case the household Netgear that was retired when we switched to BT. The handheld controllers are members of the i-wotsit family running an app called TouchCab. Between us we can muster 6 various i-things. Most will run the free version as they only need to be train drivers. We have bought two full versions to allow tweaking of CVs, etc. The app stops everything when the 25% battery warning appears

We have been discussing doing something like this for a month or two but it was playing with a similar set up on Bob Harper's American layout at the Fat Boys on Saturday that made us think that it was worth the effort. The set up removes four different X-bus cables, two power supplies and four controllers from the layout set up/knock down.; that is a 15 minute saving for me. We will still carry the old bits with us to exhibitions.

I expect the interface to arrive tomorrow and hope to get playing ASAP. We intend to have a test to break session on 23rd to see if it is practicable for exhibition use before we commit to using it at Wigan.

Simon

richard carr

Western Thunderer
Simon

That all sounds very interesting do let us all know how you get on. Is the Lan and the USB interface a dedicated Lenz product or are they related to JMRI at all ?

Richard

SimonT

Western Thunderer
Richard,
The interface unit is described on the vendors web site as Lenz equipment however, when I get it and have a look at the destructions there will be some of its specification details and we might find out something else. I will report back.

Simon

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Tony,
thank you for your kind comments. The dome shall stay as it is. The weathering is initially acrylics and an experiment in oils and then finally artists chalks dusted on and held by a pigment fixative available from MIG. It is available from Hobby Holidays, as are a range of weathering powders.

Simon

Some more inspirational weathering for you chappies.

12046076115_2f9c1f6892_c.jpg6614 at Dyffyrn Yard by robmcrorie, on Flickr

PMP

Western Thunderer
image.jpg

First time using touchcab, first thoughts are I like it, and quite intuitive for a first time user.

Cliff Williams

Western Thunderer
The JMRI stuff is fun - without having an i-stuff I havent been able to try the Touchcab yet, but intend to do so with the next phone.
Here is me playing with the JMRI stuff to show how easy it is

SimonT

Western Thunderer
Just to point out that I am taking my ARSE out to Wells this weekend, so come and say hello. This is posted during a break checking running and modelling some ragwort plants.

Simon

Wagonman

Western Thunderer
I expect the interface to arrive tomorrow and hope to get playing ASAP. We intend to have a test to break session on 23rd to see if it is practicable for exhibition use before we commit to using it at Wigan.

Simon

Simon, can you confirm that Aberbeeg is booked for the Wigan show this October, please, as I don't have it in the Newsletter Diary. Ta!

Richard