NRM under threat

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
Done.

Bl**dy governments! I don't want to get all political about this, but the current crop seem intent on selling off and closing down everything we hold dear - including stuff our parents and grandparents fought for in World War 2 - in the name of "bringing down the debt". :rant:

Simon

Flying Squad
Hmm, a load of political posturing and "amateur dramatics" on both sides ahead of a bit of a budget cut if you ask me. Ten percent is a lot but shouldn't "kill" anything - I'm not going to waste my time thinking about it, but I'm sure it will fill many column inches and give the likes of "Steam Railway" something to shout about:rolleyes:

Simon

S

Simon Dunkley

BBC Report said:
In the letter to Culture Secretary Maria Miller, York Council's Labour, Conservative, Lib Dem and Green group leaders said they had serious concerns about the impact of any reduction in government funding for the SMG.

"It puts in jeopardy the vital contribution the National Railway Museum makes to the cultural, tourism and wider economy in this city," they said.

The museum played a "critical part" in attracting tourists to York, generating £443m for the city each year, they added.
I agree that this is potentially awful, but to play devil's advocate...
I don't suppose it has crossed the Council's mind to make a contribution in any way, to ensure the continued generation of local income from a national tax-payer funded facility?

Interesting that the focus here is on the NRM: the museum at Manchester is also under threat, as is the Bradford National Media Museum. These are just as important to our culture, and MUSI of use to modellers, etc.

Maybe, during the current economic crisis, entry fees old be introduced? Or everyone signing the petition could make a donation to the museum(s)? Or they could reduce the opening hours. Or stop wasting money on rebuilding 4472, and build a new A3 instead.

Just alternative ideas, but I suspect that Simon is closest to the truth - there is an element of political posturing going on.

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
..........Or stop wasting money on rebuilding 4472, and build a new A3 instead.
Must admit that drain on funds did cross my mind too.........although from what I have read, with better project management it could have been a lot cheaper & I would like to see her steam again...........not sure about double chimney/smoke deflectors/apple green though:confused::D

alcazar

Same old same old...
The government will threaten a 10% cut, the museum will say they will have to close, the actual cut will be 5% and all will go on as before.

Neil

Western Thunderer
Done and dusted.
Now where is my Kalashnikov... :mad:

I always appreciate the direct approach.

I agree that this is potentially awful, but to play devil's advocate...
I don't suppose it has crossed the Council's mind to make a contribution in any way, to ensure the continued generation of local income from a national tax-payer funded facility? .....

Two thoughts on this.

I was a City of York Council employee and union official till six years ago. The council were strapped for cash then, struggling to provide front line essential services, I know from conversations with old colleagues that the situation has become worse. I can't see there being the will or the cold hard cash available to help.

All those local workers (and hopefully the businesses too) who make a living from tourism, pay most of their tax at a national level. The NRM, the Manchester and Bradford museums are national treasures, they benefit the UK as well as the local economy, the solution needs to be a national one.

7mmMick

Western Thunderer
Signed, I know this topic is in the National press but its all over last nights York Press, looks like a real campaign has started locally :thumbs:

Mick

S

Simon Dunkley

All those local workers (and hopefully the businesses too) who make a living from tourism, pay most of their tax at a national level. The NRM, the Manchester and Bradford museums are national treasures, they benefit the UK as well as the local economy, the solution needs to be a national one.
Quite.

I did say that I was playing Devil's advocate, and also put forward some alternative solutions.

Much as I think that a variety of free museums are vital to any nation's healthy development, these are our elected leaders (however flawed and imperfect that election process may be), and are doing what everyone knew they would. In these circumstances, if we wish to keep things going, then hands may need (somewhere) to be put in pockets to pay for things other than via taxation: a successful petition would mean that the money has to come out of someone else's budget.

Suggestions for which budgets are going to be cut to make way for free-entry to museums are welcome. What we really need is a proper informed national debate about what we want, how much it would all cost, and whether we (as a nation) wish to pay for it, how we wish to pay for it, and how much we are prepared to pay. What we get is ill-informed cant and blind application of ideas without full consideration of the context of those ideas: Adam Smith envisaged capitalism operating in terms of enlightened long-term self-interest within a Christian moral framework (i.e. it is in everyone's interest to make sure that absolute poverty does not exist, and that people are not exploited) rather than the ideas that the "market knows best" and operates outside of morality. The "market" cannot know anything - it is inanimate.

BTW, this isn't politics, but macro-economics. Personally, I am of the Keynesian persuasion and fully prepared to pay more taxes for better services (provided I know what they are, and spending is not wasted on yet more "management consultants"), which makes me feel somewhat disenfranchised with the electoral choices we are offered at the moment - combine that with tribal voting and the promotion of pointless xenophobia in many of the newspapers, and it's all quite depressing. What I need is a hobby to get me away from all this!

D G Williams

Even having the idea of closing the NRM - or any of the other museums - is appalling and monstrous, but all too typical of the thinking of the present mis-government. Sign the petiiton everyone - and look on the bright side - there is an alternative use for lamp-posts!
I seem to be getting quite revolutionary in my old age ...

Osgood

Western Thunderer
..... - there is an alternative use for lamp-posts!
I seem to be getting quite revolutionary in my old age ...

Before you get locked up in solitary for your revolutionary views, can you reveal the identity of the loco on your avatar please? It looks a bit like Carlisle on the BC&R.