4mm Podimore: constructing a scene

Jon Gwinnett

Western Thunderer
Redolent of the real things, which (probably faulty) memory suggests were mouldering away during childhood trips to Alton in the early 1970s

AJC

Western Thunderer
Redolent of the real things, which (probably faulty) memory suggests were mouldering away during childhood trips to Alton in the early 1970s

Not faulty at all - some of the sites (Bentworth and Lasham, notably - that's the one with the photos I'm working with) lasted that long as a coal merchant and allowed some decent drawings to be made. They're not the most attractive of station buildings, but that's not the point. The Culm Valley stations were lovely but a bit too cute, really.

Adam

Last edited:

AJC

Western Thunderer
A little further on, courtesy of some guttering and downpipe bits from ModelU. The Ogee guttering might seem posh but is per the real thing, though unlike ModelU's parts, with round, rather than square, downpipes. All reasonably easy to add, though the guttering was a mite bendy it responded well to cyanocrylate with the joins between lengths being reinforced with some 0.45 wire laid along the bottoms of the gutter. The rather blurry picture below shows the end result. I've roofed the thing too, but that needs a bit more detail along the eaves and ridge before painting. The narrow door to the Gents was also a feature of the real thing, just a couple of feet wide.

Building_010.jpg

Adam

Last edited:

AJC

Western Thunderer
Not everything has ground to a halt with Podimore, honest! The main line needs protection from the sidings so I’m in the process of adding a second catch point. This one will be the double tongue type, but only one blade has been installed so far and the sleepers are stuck in place ready for soldered spacers and cosmetic chairs. Once all this has been finished, I can progress with adding droppers, point actuation mechanisms and make the thing run and make it look nice.

173A4C81-8C68-448F-92BC-74EE63E1A04E.jpeg

Adam

daifly

Western Thunderer
I'm no expert but is that catch point necessary? Surely the two 'crossover' points would be box-controlled and interlocked to ensure there would be no chance for a runaway onto the main.
In any event, it is so close to the main that any vehicle thrown off would still foul the main.
Dave

AJC

Western Thunderer
For the first time in an age, progress. I've finally completed the droppers on the more complicated to the two boards and added a bit of ply' to reinforce the end plate and opened up a couple of holes to allow for the point mechanisms. I suppose that the next thing to do is to add the point actuating mechanisms. Oh, and join the wiring up. Don't hold your breath.

Baseboards_013.jpg

Baseboards_014.jpg

Adam

Last edited:

AJC

Western Thunderer
Nice to see a bit of progress Adam.

Thanks! It's nice to have made some. Unfortunately, I found one of the stockboxes had got damp wet at the same time (I've identified the source of the water and applied a temporary fix - nothing serious, thankfully), but I have just spent an hour de-rusting wheels and demoulding some works in progress. Bother.

Adam

Last edited:

AJC

Western Thunderer
A bit of a diversion inspired by, respectively, the Southern’s habit of grounding Brighton vans for stores - there were a couple on the Fawley Branch - (those they didn’t send to the Wight, anyhow), and partly by one seen elsewhere on this forum, though @PaulR's has wheels…

11A24698-EDA0-4F8D-B503-7244721AFB4B.jpeg

Nothing radical about this, just scribed plastic sheet and strip. The strip above the doors is, quite prototypically, battered. Corner plates and strapping are 10 thou’ which I will thin once it’s all set for a few days.

Adam

Last edited:

AJC

Western Thunderer
Interesting approach, Adam. Why's that?

Simple really - it's easier to work than 5 thou' (even that's probably overscale) and even treated in that way, survives solvent additions of boltheads better. I'd normally use cyanocrylate for 5 thou' in panels and plating, but the boltheads need a slightly different approach.

Adam

AJC

Western Thunderer
That's what I thought, Adam. D-Limonene is very gentle, so seems suited to 5 thou, but maybe you have a reason for not using it?

No reason - barring distraction - I simply forgot to buy any last time I saw it for sale, I’m afraid! On the list for Expo in May…

Adam