7mm Polbrock - About a Camel and a Badgers Pool

Jelle Jan

The Bodmin and Wadebridge Railway is one of my favourite British railways for some time now, and I studied the line to find myself a location to be modelled in 7mm scale. It was part of studying lots of branch lines, mostly in the Western Region, but unfortunately nothing came to fruition.

In about the same time I did the software part of an oil and gas project (for my boss of course) for Oman. The colleague, who did the commissioning on site (actually in the desert, between the camels), frequently needed my telephonic assistance, because of all the last minute software changes required. To thank me, he bought me a little stuffed camel in Oman, that he gave me, when he returned in the office, a lovely gesture.

20220103_200904_1500x1000.jpg

I interpreted this as a sign, like Paulo Coelho learns us in his books. My layout had to be the Bodmin and Wadebridge Railway, that actually follows a river called Camel, the whole trip from Wadebridge to Wenford Bridge. It's a Southern line with a mixture of Southern and Western engines and rolling stock. I started making the cottages of Helland Bridge, but then discovered, that making photos of the completed model landscape would be even more difficult than in reality, because of the many trees and bushes around the cottages. And how to realise a clay train of end door 5 plank open wagons? Nevertheless here are some photos of these cottages I started, and who nows what the future will bring.

20220104_131507_1500x950.jpg

20220104_131533_1500x950.jpg

20220104_131643_1500x750.jpg

Another problem (for some time) was the unavailability of most of the locomotives in 7mm scale. I won’t be building them myself, I’m more of a landscape modeller, so when Dapol or Heljan doesn’t make them, it’s end of story. Well, the steam locomotives weren’t available, so why not switching to the period of time after 1965, with the diesel locomotives class 08 from Dapol and class 03 from Heljan?

I focussed specifically on the Wenford Bridge branch to avoid passenger trains, because the only available coaches would be the B set by Lionheart, which bright red colour I don’t like very much. Some green coaches of the Southern Region would look much better, won’t they? Or am I entering Area 51 now? But again, not available, so I had to focus on the goods only branch to Wenford Bridge, accept the missing clay wagons, and use normal 5 plank wagens instead.

And then Dapol made his class 122 bubble car, which had a proper colour (a Western DMU in a sort of Southern guise), and even with the number W55000, that was used on the B&W and other lines of the Withered Arm. After studying the many books of the B&W and of the whole Withered Arm, I discovered that the AC Cars railbus also travelled to Wadebridge, so not only between Boscarne and Bodmin North. This means that the Heljan model could also be used, again available with the correct number W79977 and in a proper colour.

So now the switch could be made to the ‘main line’ of the B&W, somewhere between Wadebridge and Boscarne, so I could model the lovely locations like Nanstallon and Polbrock, in a mid sixties rolling stock setting. My choice was Polbrock, Cornish for Badgers Pool, and I started modelling some months ago, but that will be another post (or even better much more than one) in this thread.

Jelle Jan

Last edited:
Stone shed finished

Jelle Jan

So Pollbrock was my choice. A photo of the real location appears on the following page, about 60% scrolled downwards.
<Bodmin to Padstow>

At first, I started making the stone shed some months ago, that appears in the foreground of several photos. Just like the cottages at Helland Bridge I used Slaters 0420 stone sheet on a few layers of 1.5mm plasticard with an internal strengthening construction to prevent any warping. The roof became those large Cornish slates, individually cut from 0.3mm plasticard. Some of them became a little too wide, but the whole thing looks pretty good, I think. Painting was done with Vallejo acrylic paints.

20220104_151818_1500x1000.jpg

Jelle Jan

Last edited:
Both cottages started

Jelle Jan

Now it was time to start making the cottages. Using the same contruction as always, they looked like this on 14 november 2021. Even at this early stage the Dairy Farm from nearby St. Kew is delivering its fresh milk and eggs:

20211114_185540_1500x1000.jpg

But work continued, as the following photo shows. The chimneys are becoming there shape, the corners of all walls were finished and the base for the roof is there. Again, to prevent warping, caused by all those thin slates that need to be glued down, I started with 3 sheets of 1.5mm plasticard, hanging between the walls, resting on strips on the inside of the end walls. Then a final layer is glued on top, creating a flat service for the slates. John Jago had a Sunbeam Rapier, which I don't have in this scale, so I parked the similar Hilman Minx outside his cottage, on this photo of 28 november 2021:

20211128_183314_1500x1000.jpg

Jelle Jan

Last edited:

Tony Overton

Western Thunderer
Lovely work. In the past when I have turned my attention to buildings I often got frustrated by my failure to get my external corners right in window openings, doorways, and the really tricky one, building corners. Join lines when using embossed brick or stone plastikard seem to jump out at me if not 100%. Looking at your work you look to have cracked corners - do you have a secret method?

Jelle Jan

Yes Chris Bushell, I've seen that Polbrock by Chris Nevard and it is really lovely, or better, was, because he reconstructed the whole thing by adding a colliery, and renamed it to Polbrook Gurney, and again lovely. There is another video of his Polbrock, in which he explains that he only used the name Polbrock, to avoid that someone tells him the errors in a model of the real Polbrock. This same danger is described in that marvellous book by David Jenkinson, 'Historical Railway Modelling', it's on page 151, when you're interested. He adds in his book, that when you would ask that person what he built himself for a layout, the answer would be: Nothing, because my research hasn't been finished yet. Correct, that research will never get finished. But nevertheless I want to recreate a real location, so I had to step over the fear that someone will tell me what I did wrong, because otherwise that model railway will never be built.

Jelle Jan

Last edited:
Corners of plasticard houses

Jelle Jan

Looking at your work you look to have cracked corners - do you have a secret method?
Two of the walls are given a 'normal' top sheet, for the other two walls I give the top sheet some overlength. This makes them a little delicate during all the work of making the window and door openings, but I haven't ever destroyed it. Here is a drawing:

CornersOfWalls.png

Now I glue the walls together, I even have two sides in each corner for the glue to make a strong corner. After this is dry, I put enough glue on the OUTSIDE from my Revell needle bottle, to fill any gap, again I let it dry. Then I put the building with the left side downwards on my table, so I can cut away the overlength with a knife, simply along the other wall. Then I scrape and file away the last remains until I have an absolute smooth corner. The last step is of course adding the masonry joints with a small file. When I remember well, Geoff Taylor describes this very same method in his first book about modelling buildings.

In my drawing I also added my trick to put a thin sheet on the inside, to create a symmetrical wall, that gives more protection against warping.

Jelle Jan

Last edited:

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Yes Chris Bushell, I've seen that Polbrock by Chris Nevard and it is really lovely, or better, was, because he reconstructed the whole thing by adding a colliery, and renamed it to Polbrook Gurney, and again lovely. There is another video of his Polbrock, in which he explains that he only used the name Polbrock, to avoid that someone tells him the errors in a model of the real Polbrock. This same danger is described in that marvellous book by David Jenkinson, 'Historical Railway Modelling', the only (model) railway related book that I read more than once. It's on page 151, when you're interested. He adds in his book, that when you would ask that person what he built himself for a layout, the answer would be: Nothing, because my research hasn't been finished yet. Correct, that research will never get finished. But nevertheless I want to recreate a real location, so I had to step over the fear that someone will tell me what I did wrong, because otherwise that model railway will never be built.

Jelle Jan

The other approach is to build a "strongly based" on type layout. Taking elements from the same line or small area to make something of your own. There's still research to do but you aren't constrained by trying to be 100% faithful or accurate to a particular prototype.

The approach was used on projects I've been involved in previously including: Treneglos, Diesels on the Duchy and Black Country Blues. I'm using the same approach on my current solo projects Pencarrow and Polsarrett. Works well for me but I'm sure would upset others!

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
The Bodmin and Wadebridge Railway is one of my favourite British railways for some time now, and I studied the line to find myself a location to be modelled in 7mm scale. It was part of studying lots of branch lines, mostly in the Western Region, but unfortunately nothing came to fruition.

In about the same time I did the software part of an oil and gas project (for my boss of course) for Oman. The colleague, who did the commissioning on site (actually in the desert, between the camels), frequently needed my telephonic assistance, because of all the last minute software changes required. To thank me, he bought me a little stuffed camel in Oman, that he gave me, when he returned in the office, a lovely gesture.

View attachment 154459

I interpreted this as a sign, like Paulo Coelho learns us in his books. My layout had to be the Bodmin and Wadebridge Railway, that actually follows a river called Camel, the whole trip from Wadebridge to Wenford Bridge. It's a Southern line with a mixture of Southern and Western engines and rolling stock. I started making the cottages of Helland Bridge, but then discovered, that making photos of the completed model landscape would be even more difficult than in reality, because of the many trees and bushes around the cottages. And how to realise a clay train of end door 5 plank open wagons? Nevertheless here are some photos of these cottages I started, and who nows what the future will bring.

View attachment 154460

View attachment 154461

View attachment 154462

Another problem (for some time) was the unavailability of most of the locomotives in 7mm scale. I won’t be building them myself, I’m more of a landscape modeller, so when Dapol or Heljan doesn’t make them, it’s end of story. Well, the steam locomotives weren’t available, so why not switching to the time after 1965, with the diesel locomotives class 08 from Dapol and class 03 from Heljan?

I focussed specifically on the Wenford Bridge branch to avoid passenger trains, because the only available coaches would be the B set by Lionheart, which bright red colour I don’t like very much. Some green coaches of the Southern Region would look much better, won’t they? Or am I entering Area 51 now? But again, not available, so I had to focus on the goods only branch to Wenford Bridge, accept the missing clay wagons, and use normal 5 plank wagens instead.

And then Dapol made his class 122 bubble car, which had a proper colour (a Western DMU in a sort of Southern guise), and even with the number W55000, that was used on the B&W and other lines of the Withered Arm. After studying the many books of the B&W and of the whole Withered Arm, I discovered that the AEC rail cars also travelled to Wadebridge, so not only between Boscarne and Bodmin North. This means that the Heljan model could also be used, again available with the correct number W79977 and in a proper colour.

So now the switch could be made to the ‘main line’ of the B&W, somewhere between Wadebridge and Boscarne, so I could model the lovely locations like Nanstallon and Polbrock, in a mid sixties rolling stock setting. My choice was Polbrock, Cornish for Badgers Pool, and I started modelling some months ago, but that will be another post (or even better much more than one) in this thread.

Jelle Jan

Really great work on the buildings. The prototypes are really familiar to me and I recognised your models of them immediately. Looking forward to seeing your plans for the layout itself.

Jelle Jan

Hi Chris, when we come to the whole layout, it will be more that approach with smaller elements from the same line, but my elements would be slightly bigger than how you mean it. I would like to start with a fiddle yard, then the landscape starts with the road bridge of Polbrock (a well known way to enter a fiddle area), directly followed by the cottage scene (so with a lot of compressing between bridge and cottages). At the point on the south side of the cottages, where the real road has curved to the left, my railway curves to the right 180 degrees. In that curve I would like to create something like Dunmere Halt. Then in the following straight section, along the second long wall, I'm not sure what to do, some station would be great, that could be a mix of B&W locations, so much more like your approach. But to create a second Pencarrow? Maybe a mix of Helland Bridge and Wenfordbridge?

Jelle Jan

Last edited:

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Hi Chris, when we come to the whole layout, it will be more that approach with smaller elements from the same line, but my elements would be slightly bigger than how you mean it. I would like to start with a fiddle yard, then the landscape starts with the road bridge of Polbrock (a well known way to enter a fiddle area), directly followed by the cottage scene (so with a lot of compressing between bridge and cottages). At the point on the south side of the cottages, where the real road has curved to the left, my railway curves to the right 180 degrees. In that curve I would like to create something like Dunmere Halt. Then in the following straight section, along the second long wall, I'm not sure what to do, some station would be great, that could be a mix of B&W locations, so much more like your approach. But to create a second Pencarrow? Maybe a mix of Helland Bridge and Wenfordbridge?

Jelle Jan

Sounds very interesting. I think you could easily end a layout by passing through the gap in the buildings at Helland, crossing the road and then going straight into the Wenford terminus sidings. Perhaps keeping the delank quarry line open and keeping the cottage that was demolished at the end of the line.

Feel free to do a Pencarrow, my scenic section is 4m long by just under 1m deep.

Tony Overton

Western Thunderer
Hi Jelle Jan Thanks for sharing your methods. I will certainly try out doing it that way and I'll see if I can get hold of the book by Geoff Taylor too. In my attempt to create a neat corner, have as few 'half or quarter bricks' as possible, and have brick mortar lines meet correctly, I tried bevelling for a period but found it took an age and didn't always work. Thanks again.
Tony

First retaining wall and stairs

Jelle Jan

The chimneys of both cottages needed some last detailing, but after that I stopped working on the cottages. They are handled so much (positioning in the landscape, to check the whole picture), that further detailing would make them too delicate. So I switched to the first retaining wall and the stairs. For the retaining walls I used an Auhagen sheet, I will discuss that sheet in more detail later. A pencil drawing on a large sheet of paper helped positioning everything.

20211205_174835_1500x750.jpg

The height of the steps is huge, but this is the number of steps I counted on Streetview. Just compare this with the cottage of Helland Bridge in my first post, which also has very high steps.

20211205_175017_1500x750.jpg

Studying photos I discovered that the difference in height between both cottages should not be MIG but Humbrol/Revell, so 10mm less. After the photo session I discovered that both cottages still need 5mm to rise in relation to the stone shed. The steep climbing road is simulated here with a cardboard strip from an older Evergreen bag on my steel ruler. And yes, I still had to putty the last view holes in the retaining wall, when I made these photos on 5 december.

Jelle Jan

Auhagen stone sheet 42649, second retaining wall

Jelle Jan

Yesterday I promised to show more about that Auhagen stone sheet 42649. These sheets are 15cm long and the great thing is, they can be interconnected easily, and the joint is hardly visible.

20220105_094533_1500x900.jpg

On the next photo the joint is between the ladies, on the next retaining wall that I added to the scene, although one lady covers some of the joint with her left arm.

20211220_133103_1500x800.jpg

I couldn't wait any longer to add some grass on 20 december, a few hours before I made this photo.

Jelle Jan

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Yesterday I promised to show more about that Auhagen stone sheet 42649. These sheets are 15cm long and the great thing is, they can be interconnected easily, and the joint is hardly visible.

View attachment 154539

On the next photo the joint is between the ladies, on the next retaining wall that I added to the scene, although one lady covers some of the joint with her left arm.

View attachment 154541

I couldn't wait any longer to add some grass on 20 december, a few hours before I made this photo.

Jelle Jan

I thought I'd seen and used all the various stone wall products but that's a new one on me. Auhagen 42649 Realistic stone walls with end stones