7mm Poor man's Alamosa.

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Two different phases, the short cab pertains only three phases,

Phase :- Railroad, Units ordered

1a :- ATSF 35, CB&Q 30, D&RGW 13, KCS 10, RDG 20, SAL 1.
1b1 :- C&O 2, L&N 20, N&W 44, NYC 10, Phelps Dodge 1.
1c1 :- B&O 77, L&N 9.

All others had the extended cab on the LH side only.

There are dozens of other detail difference across the phases.....if your anorak rustles so.

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
Though having just been staring at them for the first time together, they have different spec cabs..
Yep, Lionel is a Phase 1, Williams is Phase 2 cab. Personally I must admit I was impressed with how good the Williams shell is; I'd never looked too closely before as most of the Williams stuff I've seen pictures of has looked like the toy end of 3-rail.

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
There are dozens of other detail difference across the phases.....if your anorak rustles so.
Just one is the 2nd man's side front handrail, seen in those photos. On both models it drops too close to the cab door, the bend should be closer to the stanchion, thus:-
soo705abp.jpg
Edit - note Alco trucks. They were taken off Soo Line's old FA1s that were traded in to EMD for these GP30s; refurbished & re-used, to save some money. The Soo was nothing if not frugal..... :) ;)

Last edited:

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Yep, Lionel is a Phase 1, Williams is Phase 2 cab. Personally I must admit I was impressed with how good the Williams shell is; I'd never looked too closely before as most of the Williams stuff I've seen pictures of has looked like the toy end of 3-rail.
Not strictly true, several Phase 1 batches have extended cabs, 1b2, 1c2, 1d, 1e, a total of 477 units in phase 1 with extended cabs, about 60% of Phase 1 production.

Source The Stylish EMD GP30 | witherspublishing if you're really into GP30's

The handrail is, as you say, wrong for all variants.

Quite a few Railroads traded in old running gear on new units, there's a batch of GE's (CSX nee SBD, nee SCL) running around on Blombergs which look kind of neat. WP had a batch as well.