Premier - Potter's pallet palaver

Western Thunderer
I guess autonomous trucks will have to learn how to give way to autonomous cars.

Still I would be interested to know how much electricity a train load of trucks will use compared to a train load of trains.
Tony

SimonT

Western Thunderer
Electric trucks are closer than you think.
That may be true but having done a huge amont of motorway driving this year and subsequent number of loo/coffee breaks, I can confirm that a second wave of building charging stations is taking place in the CAR parks. On the truck side - zip.

Related to this absence of any kind of top level thinking, the trumpeting of a contract for Amazon to build data stores in the UK ignores one uncomfortable truth. Ireland went down this path a few years ago and the power consumption was then a couple of percent. This year it will hit 20% of all Irish power generation. A lot of power is used in crypto-currency transactions. As I live in a wild place, I'm researching power generation and storage for us to go off grid.

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
I guess autonomous trucks will have to learn how to give way to autonomous cars.
Car driver thinking. :rolleyes: why shouldn't cars have to give way to trucks?? Trucks are only on the road for one reason - to deliver goods. Not pratting about much of the time for 'social, domestic & pleasure' as the car insurance line sums it up.... :p

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
Electric trucks are closer than you think. Very likely, trucks will be autonomous and will close together nose to tail on motorways and will really be road trains. Only needing humans to open and close the trailer doors. Within five years we will see something similar, Ten years and truck driving will be one of those jobs destined to the past.
The idea of electric driverless trucks maybe a good idea but at what cost ? more humans loosing a job for starters, people need to earn money to live not everyone is able or more likely wants to sit behind a bloody computer screen for a job !
Ten years ? I cant see that ! Electric cars are already showing us what a problem they can be with regards the batteries and breakdowns. Get an electric road train stuck on a motorway that you can't shift and !........

So called progress isn't necessarily a good thing as the more they push humans out of the picture we will become just fat blobs interwoven into a settee watching a bloody screen trying to survive on minimal benefits if any ? especially with the likes of Racheal Reaves running it :))

Col :D

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
Car driver thinking. :rolleyes: why shouldn't cars have to give way to trucks?? Trucks are only on the road for one reason - to deliver goods. Not pratting about much of the time for 'social, domestic & pleasure' as the car insurance line sums it up.... :p
Autonomous vehicles in amongst 'real' vehicles will be a pain in the arse and almost certainly be a target for general abuse and will cause even more problems for traffic.
Col.

BrushType4

Western Thunderer
Autonomous vehicles in amongst 'real' vehicles will be a pain in the arse and almost certainly be a target for general abuse and will cause even more problems for traffic.
Col.
Real vehicles will be phased out over the next 20 years. Maybe sooner. Some roads will be autonomous only before that, probably motorways first.

Car ownership will also reduce. No need to own a car if you can call one up when required and it collects you and takes you to your destination all hands free. If you do own a car, people will be able to book it when you’re not using it Airbnb style.

Personal and freight transport is about to step change beyond recognition and it’s very close.