7mm Project 33

jhockuk

Western Thunderer
Despite promising myself I would finish my Judith Edge sentinel before I started my Class 33 'refit project' that did not happen, the lure of having a mainline loco was to much!

So here goes, an attempt to turn and old Lima 33 into something I can live with, that's the important bit something I can live with.

I am aware the body is not 100% accurate but I don't want to attempt a complete cut shut on this one, perhaps if this goes well I might try another.

So it starts with this:

20151208_103701_zpssifxbjxq.jpg

With some luck ends up looking something like this:

Wales Rails - Railway Photography by Mark Thomas with Keywords: class 33

This is what I am going to do:

· New bogies

· New Wheels

· New gear box

· New motor

· Improved relief on the fuel tank – remove some material and box in plasticard

· Roof details – remove rivets where needed and add roof retaining clips

· Blank off old exhaust

· Add new exhaust

· Replace fan and radiator grills

· Replace roof vents

· Replace lamp irons

· Add radio pods to roof

· Add headlights to cab fronts

· Add Cab interior

· Flush glazing

· Snow ploughs

· New buffer beams

· Full buffer beam details

· New buffers

· DCC

No doubt I will find more to do as I go through it.

Then it will get a respray in the new livery.

So far the parts list stands at:

I am thinking about:

· MMP Mainline diesel detailing kit

· Peter Clark cab kit

I have also asked Railtec if they will scale up the transfers they do in 4mm for the West Coast Railway company.

Last edited:

Ian G

Western Thunderer
I have done 2 of these, the MMP diesel detailing kit is a good start for the meshes
David J Parkins
Hoses & other buffer beam fittings
David J Parkins
Buffers MMP or Markits
David J Parkins
Flush glazing from Home Page
other etch fittings
Shawplan Model Products Home Page
PH Designs
I am looking at replacing my motors/gear boxes to Steph Dales gear boxes and do away with delrin drive
Steph Dale Model Products

I will go through my 33/1 conversion and see what photos I have of my scratch built cab.

Ian G

The Penguin Of Doom

Western Thunderer
I started one of these, but never really got much off the ground with it. It was only really a time Vs effort thing and as such, I'm looking forward to this build.

Cheers.

Sean.

jhockuk

Western Thunderer
I've always been tempted with a 33 and seen a lot of talk of PRMRP. Probably a silly question - are they the PRMRP parts in the box?

The PRMRP bits are in the first post in my picture. They are mix of white metal and brass parts, not limited to but including:

New bogies and bogies side frames
Grills and fans
Motor
Gear box
Wheels
Roof vents
Buffer beam and details
Buffers
And quite bit more.

There will be more detailed pictures as I progress the build.

Mr Grumpy

Western Thunderer
Could I ask, including the Lima 33, what the total cost of this build is likely to be?
I carried out a conversion of one of these around 25+ years ago, only because it was the only way to obtain a 33 without building the RJH kit. (PRMRP now?) I think the bogies and frames were by RJH.
I personally don't think I could put the work in now as there are the Heljan and JLTRT locos avaliable. The skills required to turn the Heljan 33 in to a very good model would be much the same but with far less work. With a bit more effort spent on the build, the JLTRT 33 would look superb. Although both probably present a more expensive option, all will probably require paint and transfers decoders etc.
Everyone has their own reasons for what they wish to build, and I would never criticise anyone's choices but I couldn't get over the fact my 33 was built to the wrong scale.

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
Could I ask, including the Lima 33, what the total cost of this build is likely to be?
I carried out a conversion of one of these around 25+ years ago, only because it was the only way to obtain a 33 without building the RJH kit. (PRMRP now?) I think the bogies and frames were by RJH.
I personally don't think I could put the work in now as there are the Heljan and JLTRT locos avaliable. The skills required to turn the Heljan 33 in to a very good model would be much the same but with far less work. With a bit more effort spent on the build, the JLTRT 33 would look superb. Although both probably present a more expensive option, all will probably require paint and transfers decoders etc.
Everyone has their own reasons for what they wish to build, and I would never criticise anyone's choices but I couldn't get over the fact my 33 was built to the wrong scale.
You've answered your own question there...

Mr Grumpy

Western Thunderer
You've answered your own question there...
....no my question hasn't been answered. I fully apreciate there is going to be a reasonable price difference between rebuilding a Lima 33 and a Heljan or JLTRT offering, I also apreciate the satisfaction of loco bashing or kit bashing, it's a fundamental and imensley satisfying part of our wonderful hobby.
As I said, I carried out a similar conversion many years ago and was interested in what it would cost today. :)

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
The kit is about £70 + say £50 for a Lima 33? + wheels, motors & gearboxes. ...personally I would go for a Heljan, or Heljan body if you could get hold of one & the PRMRP kit on the Heljan body....or the JLTRT kit :)

Ian G

Western Thunderer
I picked up a RJH detailing kit with a Lima 33, 2 years ago from Reading for £50, The motors & gears I sold as they where not what I am after

Ian G

Mr Grumpy

Western Thunderer
I may be wrong, as I'm getting on a bit, but both your quotes seem less than I paid all those years ago.
The Heljan is nice but like all Heljans has its faults. I'm having to sell mine soon to fund another project and will miss it's lovely sound!

jhockuk

Western Thunderer
Costs so far:

Lima 33 £45
PRMRP kit (including wheels, motor, gear box) £139.30
Southeast Finecast glazing £5
PH Designs NRN radio pod £10

I should get £20 odd back selling the Lima Power bogie on ebay.

For me it is a cost I can afford.

I totally agree that a JLTRT kit is better.

But you need about £650 for one by the time you have got the gear box and wheels.