7mm Project 33

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
I may be wrong, as I'm getting on a bit, but both your quotes seem less than I paid all those years ago.
The Heljan is nice but like all Heljans has its faults. I'm having to sell mine soon to fund another project and will miss it's lovely sound!

Have a look on the PRMRP website..

Basic conversion kit £62,70
Kit plus wheels etc & 1 motor bogie £139.50
Kit plus wheels etc & 2 motor bogie £183.90

Last edited:

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
Costs so far:

Lima 33 £45
PRMRP kit (including wheels, motor, gear box) £139.30
Southeast Finecast glazing £5
PH Designs NRN radio pod £10

I should get £20 odd back selling the Lima Power bogie on ebay.

For me it is a cost I can afford.

I totally agree that a JLTRT kit is better.

But you need about £650 for one by the time you have got the gear box and wheels.
Very true, although the Heljan spares when they were available offered an even better affordable alternative.

jhockuk

Western Thunderer
I agree, however availability was the key for me, the parts I needed where all available at Reading.

Plus the level of the conversion I plan is within my current skill set.

In the future I might well look at JLTRT kit, but I want a few more builds under my belt before I risk a much more expensive build.

Mr Grumpy

Western Thunderer
Plus the level of the conversion I plan is within my current skill set.

In the future I might well look at JLTRT kit, but I want a few more builds under my belt before I risk a much more expensive build.

With your experience with the Sentinel and from what you have achieved so far, a JLTRT kit is easily within your current skill set! :thumbs:

Last edited:

jhockuk

Western Thunderer
I just love 33s in ANY livery!!
Although filthy blue probably clinches my vote! :thumbs:

Little bit before the period I am modelling (2007) and a little bit before my time in general, I mostly remember seeing them in triple grey sector markings and 'Dutch' livery.

Mr Grumpy

Western Thunderer
Little bit before the period I am modelling (2007) and a little bit before my time in general, I mostly remember seeing them in triple grey sector markings and 'Dutch' livery.
Crikey.... Now I feel REALY old!! I remember them in (filthy) green!!

Mr Grumpy

Western Thunderer
James,
Don't mean to hijack your thread but here's a couple of 33/s (33/1+2) I had the pleasure of photographing .
33201 is at Westbury in the early 90's, the 33/1 at Reading West junction in the early 80's.....
Definately blue wins in my opinion !! But also the 33/1 is my absolute favourite locomotive!!

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

jhockuk

Western Thunderer
Tonight I managed to add some more retaining fixings on the roof:

20151213_232234_zpsb4ry04t9.jpg

I also made start on the radiator, I folded up the brass back and added the white metal part, the rivet strips need adding and there is a recess in the radiator back for them to sit in. I need to file a recess in the white metal for rivet strip to sit in, but the epoxy needs to go off first.

20151213_232301_zpsgcv5tlz5.jpg