7mm Richards P48 US Thread

richard carr

Western Thunderer
As some of you will have seen I have been bitten by the US bug, it has been lurking in the background for a awful long time, I even started making some box cars back around 2002, but now I have finally given into it. The shed still has a bit of space for long thin layout so one day I may get round to building one.
In the meantime, I'm building my GP9 (details on the GP9 thread) but I am also looking at converting a number of other locos and freight cars to P48. I love tinkering with thing like this and the good thing is that they aren't too expensive if it all goes horribly wrong !

Jason on here sold me a Weaver GP 38 a few weeks back, so this is the next project. It is in UP livery so it will need a repaint into Southern Pacific red and grey, but before then there are quite a few mods to do. Converting it to P48 is relatively straight forward, you can simply buy some new wheel sets from Right O Way and put these in to replace the 2 rail ones this had. It turns out that the Weaver drive mechanism seems to be a favourite for converting other locos and a complete setup is available from PD Hobbies in the US.

20220317_105035.jpg

There is quite a bit of work to do on the body but fortunately Southern Pacific leased a bunch of GP38s that were ex CSXT and these have the smaller fuel tank and no big cut out in the nose for lights ! That should make life a bit easier but the fan spacing is still wrong at the back. They didn't have the L cab window either.

20220317_105117.jpg

These are the replacement wheel sets, the original model drives the front bogie from the rear with a big cardan shaft running the length of the loco that is very visible.
Not any more on this one, the front bogie won't be powered, the rear one will be more than enough for what I have in mind for this.

20220317_105121.jpg

20220317_105103.jpg

The other other thing I have done is to replace the gearbox drive tower with one from Finescale 360, this runs in ball bearings and is height adjustable so you can get the right tension on the chain. It also comes with a large bottom gear to reduce the gear ratio for better slow speed running. There is a new top gear too as the old one had a bit of wear on it.

mickoo

Western Thunderer
That Finescale 360 gear tower looks just the ticket for my GP38-2 project as well. I've looked at his site but there doesn't seem to be anywhere to purchase the towers, I need at least five.

Unlike your's, mine will be the purchased batch with L shaped screen, SP notch in the nose and larger fuel tank.

I didn't think to just remove the drive shaft to the front, instead I was just going to try and hide it a bit better or fit a smaller diameter shaft to reduce the visual impact.

Seeing your's I think I'll just take the whole shaft out and run from the rear truck, which is pretty much what I do with Atlas and MTH models to give a clear cab space.

richard carr

Western Thunderer
Mick

The FS360 website has all changed since I last visited and bought the tower and the aluminium base, it says that he now only sells on Ebay and the link to him only has the GP base for sale. Lets hope he does some more towers soon.

If he is at the Chicago show I'll get you a couple of them if he has them.

Richard

mickoo

Western Thunderer
I'm wondering how the sideframes can be moved inwards on the Weaver trucks for P48? There must be a relatively simple way?
I thought the same too and it did flit across my mind to swap in Roco/Atlas side frames which look a bit thicker and more prototypical chunky.

I'll pull my GP38 out at the weekend (if I do it now I won't get any other work done) and see what gives, I'll also modify my 3D 81" SP nose with handbrake notch to fit the Weaver shell and pull my finger out on the 3D spartan cab model.

I suspect some of the axle gears may have split but I picked up a cheap weaver RS-2 or whatever for spares or repair/junk, plus there's always the front truck to cannibalize. Failing that some OW5 wheels with metal gears will be on order like Richards but not to P48 or scale wheel tread thicknesses I doubt.

Big Train James

Western Thunderer
I would recommend contacting Kelly in advance regarding attendance at the Chicago show, and delivery of parts. Experience says that otherwise the conversation will go, "Yeah I've got those back at the shop but I didn't bring them this year for whatever reason", or at least that he won't have as many sets as desired.

Big Train James

Western Thunderer
Richard,
I don't know if you already have these parts, but I have some of the O Scale America parts intended to replace the radiators on the Weaver model. These include the fan hatch and radiator intake grilles with the closer spacing. I also have PSC fans in brass. I won't end up using them, so all are available and I can bring them to Chicago if you are interested.

I still need to assemble a list of expendable parts and models. I have a lot moer than I thought, and other things keep getting in the way. :oops::rolleyes: I should have it done by this weekend though.

Jim

richard carr

Western Thunderer
Jim

Thank you, yes I would like those please.

I'll drop Kelly a note and ask him to bring a few with him.

See you in Chicago.

Richard

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
I would recommend contacting Kelly in advance regarding attendance at the Chicago show, and delivery of parts. Experience says that otherwise the conversation will go, "Yeah I've got those back at the shop but I didn't bring them this year for whatever reason", or at least that he won't have as many sets as desired.
I just wish that the organisers would put out an attendance list for this years show, but they have resolutely said they will not produce one for 2022, but will do for next year. No idea who is going to be there.

JB.

Big Train James

Western Thunderer
Well, to be fair, it's not unusual for there to be no list of vendors available for this show. I don't think I've ever seen one in my many years of attending.

That being said, it would really be handy to have one, especially with the dynamic nature of our current circumstances. It's not a big deal to me personally, I'm going either way and I'm not so worried about what's there to buy. But for somebody on the fence about attending, or for those where it's critical to connect with as many vendors as possible, a list would help tremendously. Somebody asked about a vendor list on the OGR forum. The organizer said:

"Not this year. Due to the current state of things, we do not wish to put out a list that could be used for nefarious reasons. Hopefully things return to normal on all fronts so we can such a list next year. What I can say is that most of the usual folks are already signed up."

I have no idea what nefarious acts he is concerned about, but that's the story.

Ironically, I usually get screwed when there is a list. I expect a vendor to be at the show, only to find when I get there that they've canceled for some reason.:rolleyes:

richard carr

Western Thunderer
Gents

I have just bought a few of the finescale 360 gear towers, they are being delivered to my US office and I will be there in the first week of May to collect them. They should work out at about £25 each one I get all the credit card conversions back.

Please confirm how many you would like, if you have changed your mind don't worry.

Richard

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Richard,

I think I said five but share them to others if you've only got a small batch, two or three would be ideal, more if they're spare.

MD

richard carr

Western Thunderer
Gents

I ordered 8 gear towers as that was all he was selling but I'm sure he will put the back on again shortly and I will order a few more.
I'm sure there will be enough for everyone

Richard

richard carr

Western Thunderer
Over the past few weeks I have been working on a few small things. One of these is converting 2 rail (and 3 rail) freight cars to P48.
Most of mine are by Atlas and if you remove the truck you are left with this.

20220520_094432.jpg

and if you want to use protocraft replacement trucks, this needs to fit on to it.

20220520_135502.jpg

So to smoothe things along you need one of these.

20220520_094652.jpg

A simple part that I drew in CAD and Robin (Boyblunder on here) 3D printed for me.

Lionel wagons use a slightly different variation on the theme.

So here's the Lionel wagon converted with protocraft trucks, a Kadee coupling at one end and a protocraft coupling at the other.

20220520_081322.jpg

20220520_081118.jpg

20220520_081306.jpg

For what was a 3 rail wagon, this now looks really good.

Here are some comparison shots20220520_081700_HDR.jpg

on the left a very recent Atlas wagon with their narrower truck, in the middle and old Atlas 2 rail wagon and on the right the converted lionel wagon.

20220520_081844.jpg

This time the same type of old style Atlas 2 rail wagon on the left and the P48 converted version on the right.

Richard