Richards Workbench, Heljan 31s and JLTRT Class 40s

richard carr

Western Thunderer
All very interesting but it clearly didn't take long to get covered in exhaust dirt as most photos show the bonnet top as dirty black, as both mine will be, so will the Heljan ones when I get them.

Richard

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Ozzy, yup, it was on green locos (1960-62) that I was researching where I first noticed it, specifically LMR ones in the Crewe/Manchester area. It only seems to be applied to those on the LMR, either green or blue.

Re door clips, two clips for all class 40's (middle two clips), unless broken or removed in later days, four clips for LMR allocated locos (from new) to carry their diesel specific named train head boards (outer pair of clips), though the clips look the same, they are not, there's a subtle difference between the two types.

The same discussion was only aired a few weeks back on the Peak thread which have/had the same set up.

mickoo

Western Thunderer
All very interesting but it clearly didn't take long to get covered in exhaust dirt as most photos show the bonnet top as dirty black, as both mine will be, so will the Heljan ones when I get them.

Richard
It's not on all Class 40, so those that are filthy 'may' just not have the panel underneath, by the same token there are caked filthy locos where the edge of the panel is still just visible, there is no right or wrong, just what ever you wish to model:thumbs:

Here's one last photo to show that it's not on all locos.
D249_Crewe North July 67.jpg

Having said that, it's something that I cannot recall being seen modelled before in any scale and generally something I suspect many do not realise some locos had. I will add it to mine (because my chosen LMR loco has it) and then wait for the finger pointing at shows ;)

richard carr

Western Thunderer
Mick

I hadn't noticed before and I certainly don't recall it back in the early 80's, they were pretty much all filthy back then, I'm not sure if D200 had it when it got repainted around then.

Its clear though that plenty of them had it so yes go ahead and model it.

One of the things that always gets me is how little attention I actually paid to what these locos looked like in detail back in the early 80's.

Richard

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Richard, you and me both, I was more intrested in the engineering/detail side of trains than my mates, but it was still a predominately numbers race to fill your books up or see locos before they were all scrapped and gone.

The patch will be a specifi depot or workshop application (like Haymarkets interior draft screens and external oil drains) which I've yet to work out, as noted before it seems to concentrate toward LMR locos, yet both of those above are ordered as ER locos, D205 went to Stratford and D249 went to (at work so not sure of depot from memory....only looked it up last night too!) I think Gateshead, certainly an Eastern shed anyway. Why both are at Crewe North (this is the remains of the old Crewe North steam shed) is a mystery but neither have the LMR headcode clips either, confirming their ER batch order. The date is 1969 so tucked up in those lines somewhere will surely be some blue n yella locos as well, what a gorgous spread of colour to model:thumbs:

I do also have a rare photo of a GFYP class 40 at crewe with D numbers and TOPS identification panel, the TOPS panel was supposed to only be fitted to blue locos or locos with new numbers, I understand it was the only loco to ever be green with old numbers and TOPS panel.

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
I do also have a rare photo of a GFYP class 40 at crewe with D numbers and TOPS identification panel, the TOPS panel was supposed to only be fitted to blue locos or locos with new numbers, I understand it was the only loco to ever be green with old numbers and TOPS panel.

Actually, I found a photo online showing a Class 22 like that, so it might have been more common than we think.

Here's one: http://www.rail-online.co.uk/p661346788/h20f5277#hf87c04d

And another: http://www.rail-online.co.uk/p661346788/h20f5277#h23e63441

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Actually, I found a photo online showing a Class 22 like that, so it might have been more common than we think.

Here's one: http://www.rail-online.co.uk/p661346788/h20f5277#hf87c04d

And another: http://www.rail-online.co.uk/p661346788/h20f5277#h23e63441
Marvelous:thumbs: , it's amazing what's turning up on these photo sites as more and more photos are being added, all valuable research material. I do check the two big ones weekly to see what's been added in case there's more info for the growing piles of research material LOL.

richard carr

Western Thunderer
I finally got round to weathering the 2 40's

IMG_1013.JPG

IMG_1016.JPG

I also did the green 31 and a JLTRT class 25 that I built over 10 years ago

IMG_1019.JPG

IMG_1023.JPG

IMG_1020.JPG

There is still some more work to be done a some of the dry brushing is a bit too heavy and needs to be toned down.

They also need a bit of wear adding to the paint work with some white painted on and then quickly removed as that leaves a nice pale stain.

OzzyO

Western Thunderer
This photo got it for me, this is how it was walking on to a shed
index.php

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Very nice indeed, I did a quick rough mental calculation and came to a conservative £4000 worth of locos alone in those shots, that's a sobering thought!