7mm Scale 7 MOK 9F in Spain

OzzyO

Western Thunderer
When I'm building locos I use the following.
0.8 mm for the boiler hand rails.
0.7 mm for any vertical hand rails that fit into a hand rail knob, I would use this on the smoke deflectors.
0.6 for any hand rails that have bent ends that fit directly into the bodywork.

Or you could just use 0.7 mm for them all.

OzzyO.

Last edited:

markjj

Western Thunderer
Sorry chaps I have another question, what wire do I use for the handrails .7mm or .5mm, .5mm seems a bit to small .7mm is ok, but .5mm is used in the ladder. I don't know which one is correct. The instructions doesn't say.

Len
There is no mention of handrail size in any of the 9f instruction books Len.
I have both the 1G and 1B/C kits but I cant see anything in either of them.
In the Ivatt and 4mt tank and Tender version instructions all the handrails seem to be 0.7mm except for a few places like the steps which are 0.5mm.
So I guess it's going to be 0.7mm on this to. I hope that helps.

Len Cattley

Western Thunderer
Hi OzzyO, looking at the instructions there is only 2 singles one each side as well as 4 double ones, well I have 4 single ones and 4 double ones, I don't know if there is any difference between them.

Len

richard carr

Western Thunderer
HI Len

I have done the basic chassis 3 times now, so I'm fairly confident about this.

When the kits were first sent out there was a packing error and the single spring hangers were all the same hand.
You do only need 4 in total, 2 each side, but you do need 2 left hand and 2 right hand ones.

Richard

markjj

Western Thunderer
Len if you go to the MOK website there is a page of updates for the 9f which explain this. If you got your loco kit from the very first batch the casting company mixed up the order. Dave had to pack them all in a panic as he was taking a lot of kits to the Reading exhibition I know he called me and told me to open and check my kits incase I was unlucky to get the wrong parts.
If you look at the attached photo this is what you should have. Its 2 pairs of casting of which 2 are mirror image to the other 2. I hope this makes sense.IMG_2492-1.jpgIMG_2492-1.jpg

Dave Holt

Western Thunderer
Looking good, Len. You obviously resolved the questions about the number of casting and which went where.
It must be a strange optical illusion, but the spring span between castings looks smaller at the front of the frames than at the back. I assume they're all the same?
Dave.

Len Cattley

Western Thunderer
Hi Dave, I did resolve the issue about the castings, I have 4 spare now. I think it is an optical illusion as it was taken with my phone.

Dave Holt

Western Thunderer
As a matter of interest, Len, what are the suspension arrangements? It looks like there are bushes for twin beams on the rear two axles, but nothing obvious for the front end.
On my P4 version, I have twin beams at the rear, a single, central beam for the front two and the middle axle is sprung (allowing up and down movement).
Dave.

Len Cattley

Western Thunderer
Hi Dave it has twin beams at the back and twin beams at the front and a middle axle horn guide which is sprung. I am just making the twin beams for the front, I'll will be posting them as I finished them.

Len