Simplex 'Tin Turtle'

simond

Western Thunderer
I am still finding my way with acrylics, but Vallejo seem very good. I bought a selection from a Dungeons & Dragons style war games shop a while back. Worth getting some thinners & retarder too.

michael080

Western Thunderer
I would like to emphasize Simons comment about retarder. Most problems with acrylics like airbrush clogging or orange peel finish disappear with drying retarder.

AK-interactive AK183 ultra Matte varnish gives what the Name proposes. Perfect for clothing etc.

Michael

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
I've been using Vallejo and AK Interactive acrylics for years either brush painting or airbrushing.

As previouls correspondents have mentioned, for air brushing the standard Vallejo Model range requires thinning and a few drops of their Airbrush Flow Improver which is effect a retarder. The Vallejo Model Air range is formulated for airbrushing.

Also reduce the compressor air pressure setting for airbrushing acrylics, it does not need to be as high as for enamels or cellulose paints.

As @michl080 says AK-interactive AK183 ultra Matte varnish is good and I also recommend this.

For brush painting I suggest a 'wet palette' as this keeps the paint moist during painting and prevents drying on the palette before your very eyes. A wet palette can easily be made from a tupperware (or similar) lid, a few layers of wet kitchen roll and a piece of greaseproof paper on top, onto which the paint is squirted. Mine is in a lidded plastic box with a wet sponge and a piece of greaseproof paper.

Wet palette.jpg

Before applying a primer to resin figures I would rinse them in IPA to degrease them.

spikey faz

Western Thunderer
Thanks for the paint advice. Especially like the tips regarding retardant and the 'wet pallette'.

I'll get a few different tins to try out soon.

Mike

spikey faz

Western Thunderer
I received a very nice set of works plates from Narrow Planet. Fixed in place with a dab of gloss varnish. I think they need to be toned down a bit.

20220131_103208.jpg

I also modified the chassis to allow one of the axles to be compensated as my track is somewhat bumpy!

It's not what the engineers here would probably do but it seems to still work OK as the teeth on the gears are relatively large and still mesh even when the axle articulates.

20220131_103235.jpg

Mike

Last edited: