Simplex 'Tin Turtle'

spikey faz

Western Thunderer
I was having a whizz through the Internet the other day and happened upon this picture.

post-171-0-85952900-1368280477.jpg

The owner of said picture has very kindly given me permission to post it here. :thumbs:

It flagged up some issues that I have to say had been bugging me. Mainly the attachment of the buffer beams. I had been following the instructions to attach the beams to the armoured side panels. However, as you can see from the picture there are in fact quite substantial supports coming up from the side of the chassis to support the buffer beams. This makes more sense to me as I reckon the chassis should be taking the shock loading of shunting wagons rather than the end panels.

I've decided to try to portray this on my model, which has involved some disassembly and new parts.

20211206_154950.jpg

Mike

Osgood

Western Thunderer
Good find.
That looks like the armoured version now at Duxford.
The armoured side plates (spaced off the inner side plates that are the only side plates of the protected type) have hidden those extra plates that you have recreated in previous photos posted here.
I've not found an image of the Wern Tarw Timber example (I believe the subject of this kit) that shows the buffing beam mounting arrangements.
Although given the light weight and low horsepower I would imagine the arrangement as modelled in the kit would be quite adequate for std gauge duty.

Last edited:

spikey faz

Western Thunderer
Chassis back from Mark - re-gauged to S7. Nice snug fit into the body.

20211207_191908.jpg

20211208_193232.jpg

20211207_192233.jpg

I've had to cut some of the chassis rails out to make room for the nuts/washers that hold the sub-floor in place. The following picture reveals the full extent of my butchery and my dodgy soldering. The soldering actually looks a lot better in reality (that's what I keep telling myself!).

20211208_193209.jpg

Mike

Chuffer

I noticed that 'Monks Eleigh' is to be sold along with stock, which stock they don't say, at a Vectis auction in December. Someone, if they don't already realise is in for a shock as it's advertised as O gauge :confused::rolleyes:.
Two loco's I built for it, as far as I'm aware went to Canada.
Thread hi-jack over :D
Col.

I was able to get in touch with Vectis Auctions and advise them of the mistaken 'Finescale O' description. They are correcting all future descriptions prior to the auction in January.

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
I was able to get in touch with Vectis Auctions and advise them of the mistaken 'Finescale O' description. They are correcting all future descriptions prior to the auction in January.

Martyn,
It will be interesting to see where it ends up seeing as it's S7, and I may have been mistaken about the loco's, they could still be with the layout.
Col.

daifly

Western Thunderer
I wrote to Vectis on the same subject on 20th November so now they've been proper told!
Dave

Chuffer

The guy running the auction rang me after I'd made contact as he wanted to obtain more info about the layout, given there were extra buildings subsequently added, some of which I built, but a few more were built by others in more recent times. I also filled him in on a few of the locos and much of the stock, which I either constructed, painted and weathered or just weathered. Interesting bloke as he collects Hornby tinplate and had a 'general' interest in model railways, which is just one of the reasons for ensuring the info. was correctly listed.
I think some of the locos may indeed have already been sold prior to the layout arriving at the auctioneers, so Col's probably right.

I'll be interested to see how much remaining stock is itemised in the auction and whether either the layout or the stock sells. The layout isn't DCC either, which could put off some. Incidentally, locos like the Simplex and a Ruston 48DS, which I built for the owner could easily be changed to Finescale, being simple 0-4-0s, unless they've already been sold.

spikey faz

Western Thunderer
Finally got the body sprayed up. Tamiya paint seems to give a nice finish and I'm relying on this to cover up some of my dodgy model making! Still a work in progress, but I'll let the following pictures do the talking.

20211215_194854.jpg

20211215_195005.jpg

20211215_195049.jpg

20211216_191557.jpg

20211216_191709.jpg

20211216_191817.jpg

20211216_191847.jpg

20211216_191926.jpg

Although it's tempting to do a demolition job with the weathering, I'm aiming for a more subtle approach.

Mike

spikey faz

Western Thunderer
I will have to get the kit I have out and finish it. Now I have some idea were everything goes.

Marc

It's a good idea to read the instructions through at least three or four times. There is a logic to them, but I must admit to a bit of head-scratching at times. :)

By the way, I haven't fitted the brakes. I deliberately left them aside as I wanted to see how the motor/chassis fitted first. I subsequently tried to fit them, but it was getting a bit fiddly so I've left them off. When I come up with something that works I'll post some pictures here.

Looking forward to seeing how you get on with your kit Marc.

Mike

spikey faz

Western Thunderer
Got the buffer beam support brackets fitted. Originally I was going to make the brackets/beam one assembly to be clipped into place, but this was getting a tad complicated. So I've glued the brackets in place using the buffer beams (which are held in place by the coupling bolt) as a guide. The whole lot will get lashings of glue as soldering was not really an option on this occasion.

20211217_142120.jpg

20211217_142213.jpg

20211217_142331.jpg

Mike

spikey faz

Western Thunderer
That arrangement has come out really well! Don't View attachment 153463 it just yet.......:)

Thank you. :)

Not copyrighting this as it (appears) to be prototypical. ;)

Just enough time this evening to sort out replacement vent panels before I fire up the hifi for a vinyl and whisky session. Cheers! :thumbs:

20211217_170849.jpg

20211217_193053.jpg

Nothing fancy. Just nickel silver strip and rivet press. And some Dalwhinnie!!!

Cheers

Mike