Simplex 'Tin Turtle'

spikey faz

Western Thunderer
Superb!!!!!

Aw, that's nice. :thumbs: Thank you.

I've made a point of taking most of the pictures using the macro setting on my phone. No hiding my bodges here!

There is still a bit to finish off. I haven't glued the roof and exhaust on yet as I need access room for the Modelu driver when he starts his apprenticeship. :)

I will say that this kit is very entertaining! The quality of the castings is in my opinion very good. And yes, the instructions are a bit challenging at times, but I quite like that. It makes my brain have to work a bit harder! Thoroughly recommended and thank you to DJ Parkins for reintroducing it.

Mike

Tom Insole

Western Thunderer
What fantastic work. I've enjoyed seeing this come to life and you've definitely given it a lifelike look. those small details like the wooden sections are just spectacular.

spikey faz

Western Thunderer
What fantastic work. I've enjoyed seeing this come to life and you've definitely given it a lifelike look. those small details like the wooden sections are just spectacular.

Thanks Tom

Whilst it was tempting to portray this with full weathering and dents etc, I think on such a small model it can be a bit OTT. It'll probably pick up a few knocks in my ownership anyway!

Mike

djparkins

Western Thunderer
Aw, that's nice. :thumbs: Thank you.

I've made a point of taking most of the pictures using the macro setting on my phone. No hiding my bodges here!

There is still a bit to finish off. I haven't glued the roof and exhaust on yet as I need access room for the Modelu driver when he starts his apprenticeship. :)

I will say that this kit is very entertaining! The quality of the castings is in my opinion very good. And yes, the instructions are a bit challenging at times, but I quite like that. It makes my brain have to work a bit harder! Thoroughly recommended and thank you to DJ Parkins for reintroducing it.

Mike

Thanks Mike - lovely work. I do agree, all of Adrian's kits will be the better for new instructions - but a long job ahead!

DJP

djparkins

Western Thunderer
That'll keep you busy during those long dark winter evenings! :)

Mike

Yeah among 20,000 other things! - got 58 new military accessory packs to finish first - and anyway - with Adrian's instructions I have to read them through at least a dozen times before I even remotely understand them!

I also have over 40 huge box files of prototype info I got in with the purchase, and that has to be sifted through and scanned where appropriate. Mixed in with those are drafts of letters to Dapol that Adrian either wrote or intended to send about their wagons! One has over 50 detailed errors he is pointing out in regards to their 1923 RCH PO wagons, capped with an offer to go and work for them [!!!], but with the final parting shot of 'I doubt you could afford my fees'. All highly entertaining.

spikey faz

Western Thunderer
The Modelu peeps must be working extra hard as my order arrived yesterday. Nice one! :thumbs:

I've had to modify the chap to make him fit a bit better. This has entailed some drastic surgery!

20211220_142920.jpg

20211221_143221.jpg

Needs a bit of cleaning up, but he sits quite nicely in the Simplex now. I'm not brilliant at painting figures, so I'm hoping he won't be too visible when I'm finished.

Mike

Simon

Flying Squad
That looks very natural, and the quality of the blown up picture is testament to your superb modelling too.

A very fine tribute to the many skills and abilities of Adrian and also the work being put in by DJP to make his ranges available again.

Wonderful.

Simon

djparkins

Western Thunderer
I feel for the poor chap. My torn knee cartilage is minor when compared with his knee. As for the rest . . . who was it said, 'We have the technology'?

Yes. I’ve just given one of my 120mm WW1 soldiers a head transplant. It improved his looks in the end - but not at first!

spikey faz

Western Thunderer
That looks very natural, and the quality of the blown up picture is testament to your superb modelling too.

Simon

All credit to Modelu for providing such fine figures (for me to slice up). I wonder who the Modelu figure is based on, and whether he knows he's been rearranged! :eek:

Mike

Simon

Flying Squad
Well, on that subject, I do know of several Modelu Brian Daniels driver figures that have had pretty drastic "modifications"(!)

"Plastic surgery" now means exactly what it says when applied to our smaller worlds!

spikey faz

Western Thunderer
Back from delivering a few Xmas cards I had a bit of time to finish first coats of paint. They are just basic colours and may change a bit as I tidy things up. I'm a bit concerned about the blue which is supposed to be matt, but still looks glossy to me. I'm not as impressed with Humbrol paints as I used to be. May have to break the habit of a lifetime and look for something better.

20211221_205757.jpg

Mike

Marc Dobson

Western Thunderer
A out 18 months ago I made the switch to acrylics. The make normal brushes last longer and don't seem to clog up my airbrush as much.
Now I only use enamel paint if I have no alternative.

Marc