Some weathered models

paulc

Western Thunderer
Thanks Paul.

The Ronseal I used was polyurethane based I believe. I think it may have been a little on the dense side so other options are always useful to explore. I can see it being excellent for etched carriages and locos. My issue with the denseness suggests that spray application would probably be a better way forward than applying via brush.

Davy.
Definitely spray for models , i only brush it on timber .

Scubaidh Dubh

Davy, this is now my go-to for finishes.

It is also what we are recommending from Scottish Wagon Works as it works great with our transfers.

John

Thanks John.

Ordered some gloss and matt.

Some testing will be conducted on arrival.

John Duffy

Western Thunderer
Watch their video. We put a link on our instructions-

It is important to keep it wet when applying. I’ve found it to be great.

John

adrian

Flying Squad
One of the things I'm currently looking at is the gloss base finish. It's near impossible to really portray a loco well without some kind of representation of it -even under heavy weathering it's rarely completely hidden. For years I have used Klear/Future to provide that basic effect but I feel it has its limitations in terms of durability with some of the techniques I'm using.
I tried Ronseal at one point but that led to problems with the black V2 that took a great deal of work to get under control - I think that's a better starting point for a kit built and painted loco rather than an RTR model.
The search is on for something else that provides a suitable but perhaps more durable effect.
Quite expensive at the moment and only appears to be available in the US and Canada at the moment but this looks to be an interesting development if other companies bring similar products to market. A UV curable varnish in gloss, satin or matt - cures in minutes under UV source.

Scubaidh Dubh

Davy, this is now my go-to for finishes.

It is also what we are recommending from Scottish Wagon Works as it works great with our transfers.

John
Thanks John.
I just ordered the gloss and matt so I shall see how I get on with them.

Davy.

paulc

Western Thunderer
Quite expensive at the moment and only appears to be available in the US and Canada at the moment but this looks to be an interesting development if other companies bring similar products to market. A UV curable varnish in gloss, satin or matt - cures in minutes under UV source.
Hi Adrian , my thought when i watched the video was that its very thick and would need thinning for model use so what would you use to thin it . Given that it dries using UV I'm not sure what thinner if any would work .
Lot's of questions with no answers I'm afraid .